Friday, November 15, 2019

Cellphone users hit by wave of mysterious texts

Posted on Friday, 8 November, 2019 | Comment icon 12 comments

Did you receive any mysterious texts yesterday ? Image Credit: PD - Peakpx
People across America awoke on Thursday to find unexplained text messages on their mobile phones.
The mystery began in the early hours of the morning when countless thousands of text messages, many of them completely unintelligible, were suddenly delivered to phones across the US.

Many found that the messages had seemingly been sent by their friends or family members.

One woman - 28-year-old Stephanie Bovee from Portland - was awoken at 5am to receive a text message from her sister which read simply "omg."

Fearing that it was bad news about her newborn nephew, she attempted calling around but couldn't get an answer. It took three hours for her to determine that everything was all right.
After checking into the messages further she discovered that several of her friends had received messages she had sent months ago and that her sister had received texts from February.

It seemed that, for whatever reason, mobile phone companies had suddenly sent out a large wave of text messages that had previously been sent, but hadn't originally been delivered.

"Now it's funny," said Bovee. "But out of context, it was not cool."

A spokeswoman for Sprint has since revealed that a "maintenance update" was responsible, however no specific details have been provided. T-Mobile suggested that it was a "third party vendor issue."

If you happened to receive any strange texts on Thursday, at least now you know the reason why.

Source: ABC News | Comments (12)

Tags: Mobile Phone, Text Messages

Comment icon #3 Posted by Desertrat56 on 8 November, 2019, 16:34
Oh, ok.  I have an iPhone as do most people in my family.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Robotic Jew on 8 November, 2019, 19:05
I have T Mobile and an android. I didn't get any texts.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Desertrat56 on 8 November, 2019, 19:14
So it must have been network specific, not phone specific.  I can't see any company (At&T, TMobile, Sprint, Veriozon) having the androids on a different network than any other phone.  Maybe the tracking software network system built in to the androids malfunctioned.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Scholar4Truth on 8 November, 2019, 19:27
I use AT&T along with Android and didn't get any strange texts.
Comment icon #7 Posted by susieice on 8 November, 2019, 19:31
The texts appear to have been originally sent sometime around Valentine's Day 2019. They crossed both iphone and androids and most major carriers. A company has taken responsibility for the delay. A server failed and wasn't brought back online until November 7th. When that happened, all the trapped texts were sent. https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/7/20953422/text-messages-delayed-received-overnight-valentines-day-delay
Comment icon #8 Posted by OverSword on 8 November, 2019, 20:02
My friends wife got one from my friend.  In the morning she looked at her phone and said why were you texting me at midnight?  He said what are you talking about I was in bed sleeping right next to you.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Robotic Jew on 8 November, 2019, 20:16
I read this wrong somehow...it sounded really bad because I read the first sentence as "My wife got one from my friend..." and the rest just the same as printed lol
Comment icon #10 Posted by DieChecker on 9 November, 2019, 5:10
I have Sprint but didnt see anything.  I can imagine though getting a text months out of context and it causing a good bit of confusion. Interesting that the texts were saved by the network services for that long.
Comment icon #11 Posted by mdbuilder on 9 November, 2019, 13:55
No one quite realizes how easily they're manipulated by big tech; especially those that are desperate for recognition but too sheepish to be known.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Desertrat56 on 9 November, 2019, 18:10
I don't understand why it took so many months to replace the server.

'Unicorn puppy' has a tail on its forehead
11-15-2019
Meet Narwhal, an adorable rescue dog from Missouri who happens to have a very unusual appendage.
Fossil tooth sheds light on world's largest ape
11-14-2019
Standing up to three meters tall, Gigantopithecus was the largest ape to ever walk the face of the Earth.
Weird cloud formation sparks UFO speculation
11-14-2019
This large circular 'hole' in the clouds over North Carolina left social media users scratching their heads this week.
Shots fired during attempted 'Bigfoot' break-in
11-14-2019
A man in Bainbridge Township, Ohio told police that he had been trying to dissuade an intruding Sasquatch.
The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia