Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Tesla's new Cybertruck breaks during live demo

Posted on Friday, 22 November, 2019 | Comment icon 46 comments

Both windows were smashed during the live presentation. Image Credit: Tesla
The reveal of Tesla's controversial new super-tough cyberpunk truck didn't go quite according to plan.
It might look like the DeLorean from 'Back to the Future' rendered using the graphics chip of a PlayStation 1, but inside, the appropriately named Cybertruck is anything but retro.

Fully electric and brimming with the same automated technologies common to all flagship Teslas, this futuristic pickup truck - which is adorned with stainless steel panels and reinforced windows - is also advertised as being super tough and capable of withstanding a whole world of punishment.

Things didn't exactly go according to plan during the reveal however when lead designer Franz von Holzhausen threw a metal ball at the front and rear windows to show how hard they are to break.

In predictable fashion, both panes of glass broke.
"Room for improvement," said CEO Elon Musk. "It didn't go through, that's a plus side."

"We threw wrenches, we threw literally the kitchen sink at the glass and it didn't break. For some reason it broke now... I don't know why."

Mishaps aside, it is unclear who is likely to actually buy the new truck. Its strange design, which has so far proven rather divisive, is certainly not going to appeal to everyone.

With prices starting at $39,900 - it may be a tough sell compared to a conventional pickup truck.

Source: BBC News | Comments (46)

Tags: Cybertruck

Comment icon #37 Posted by psyche101 on 3 December, 2019, 23:17
    No Australian prices for the Tesla Cybertruck have been released as yet but, as a guide, in the US it will start from $US39,900 (AU$58,900) for a single motor, rear-drive model which has 250 miles of range (400km), can carry 1500kg in the tray, and tow 3400kg. The performance of the base model from 0 to 60mph (96km/h) is a claimed 6.5 seconds, which would make it faster than a Ram 1500 V8 or a Volkswagen Amarok TDV6. The next step up in the Tesla Cybertruck range starts from $US49,900 (AU$73,750) for a dual motor all-wheel drive model which has 300 miles of range (482km), can carry 1500kg ... [More]
Comment icon #38 Posted by Desertrat56 on 3 December, 2019, 23:26
Thanks.  I have not made the time to look this up.  It does not look like it has much room in the back AND I hate the way it looks, like some kind of video game vehicle.
Comment icon #39 Posted by psyche101 on 4 December, 2019, 3:47
I don't know, the tray looks big, and the ramp is  not a bad idea  It's certainly different. I'd like to try driving one.
Comment icon #40 Posted by Desertrat56 on 4 December, 2019, 15:39
Yes, I would test drive it, maybe change my mind.  The problem is you can't test drive it, you have to order it and then when it is delivered you get to test drive it.  My daughter's brother in law has a Tesla sedan and he said that the truck pre -order only requires $200.00 down, but any other model requires $2000.00 down to order it. I was thinking too, that I could not drive that in this state because people get pulled over by the police when the tint in their SUV's is too dark for the cops to see in.  It doesn't matter if you are a soccer mom taking your kids to practice, if the tint is to... [More]
Comment icon #41 Posted by psyche101 on 5 December, 2019, 3:59
Electric cars would be my big concern, I just don't trust them. I couldn't imagine running out of charge, its not like you can fill up on charge in a few minutes, it seems running out of energy would be a major drama.  Way to dear for what it is. I know someone who has a small electric car for about town, it was something like 15k new. That would be ok down the shops and back, but I wouldn't want to try a getaway or camping with an electric vehicle.  Bring on hydrogen
Comment icon #42 Posted by Habitat on 5 December, 2019, 7:47
Hard to believe an electrician would say that.
Comment icon #43 Posted by Desertrat56 on 5 December, 2019, 15:31
My daughter's brother in law said that Tesla marks out all the charging stations where ever you want to  go and I know you can rent or buy a spare battery that gets you an extra 300 miles.  I agree 300 miles on a charge is a short distance for anyone who lives in the southwest.  But in Connecticut where he lives it is fine.  I do know that he said if he charges hooked up to 110 power, which he can it takes longer than 220.  Also, it seems all the walmarts now have 10 bay charging stations in anticipation, which makes me wonder which electric car company they are invested in.  Even in Albuquerq... [More]
Comment icon #44 Posted by toast on 5 December, 2019, 16:09
No car company involved:
Comment icon #45 Posted by moonman on 5 December, 2019, 16:26
That's exactly my concern - even if there is a charging station you can get to, it's not like filling a tank. You better hope there's something to do for a few hours or a hotel wherever you get stuck, it takes 12 HOURS to charge an empty Tesla battery. With a range of 300 miles, that's something like an hour of charging for every 25 miles. Ridiculous. EDIT: I just read that if you get to an actual charging station, it only takes a little over an hour to charge fully - but if all you have is an 120v outlet, you're screwed.
Comment icon #46 Posted by Desertrat56 on 5 December, 2019, 17:03
Maybe someone needs to let all the casinos know about this.

The snow on the Italian Alps is turning pink
7-6-2020
Scientists have been investigating why large swathes of glacial ice have turned a peculiar pink color.
'Unsolved Mysteries' receives '20 credible tips'
7-6-2020
The recent revival of the classic TV series has prompted several tips that could help to solve some of the cases.
Yowie researcher recalls his first encounter
7-5-2020
David Taylor has been investigating Australia's answer to the legendary Sasquatch for the better part of 12 years.
Fireball produces sonic boom over Japan
7-5-2020
A space rock created quite the spectacle when it lit up the night sky above Japan's Kanto region recently.

Grim reaper-like visitation