Friday, December 6, 2019

18,000-year-old 'dog' found frozen in Siberia

Posted on Thursday, 28 November, 2019 | Comment icon 24 comments

It is not clear if the find is a dog or a wolf. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Nomadic Lass
The incredibly well-preserved remains of a prehistoric canine have been recovered from the permafrost.
The two month-old pup, which has been nicknamed Dogor (meaning 'friend' in the local language), is so well-preserved that it could almost be mistaken for a dog that died mere days ago.

Scientists used radiocarbon dating to determine how old the animal is and a genome analysis has revealed that it is male, however DNA sequencing has so far failed to determine its exact species.

It is now thought that it could represent an evolutionary link between wolves and dogs.
"We have a lot of data from it already, and with that amount of data, you'd expect to tell if it was one or the other," said Dave Stanton from the Center for Palaeogenetics in Sweden.

Dog domestication is thought to have occurred somewhere between 20,000 and 40,000 years ago however this timescale remains open for debate - the process could have started much earlier.

Whatever the case, the find is likely to teach scientists much about the history of our canine friends.

Source: BBC News | Comments (24)

Tags: Dog, Wolf, Siberia

Comment icon #15 Posted by Manwon Lender on 29 November, 2019, 11:13
This is a real interesting thread, it would really be great if they could clone it. It shouldn't be a problem since it's in perfect condition. That would be the perfect ending to this story. Thanks for sharing this thread.
Comment icon #16 Posted by jaylemurph on 30 November, 2019, 0:59
You should be asking in Hound Years.† óJaylemurph†
Comment icon #17 Posted by Desertrat56 on 30 November, 2019, 4:27
Well, there is another dinosaur creationist museum in Glenrose, Texas that is just as stupid.† Too bad Bill Nye is not great with people, I think his problem is that he has not experience with someone who can't debate using facts, and instead just goes on the attack.† I did not want to see more of that video, but hoped that Bill Nye did not back down.† I think I would have been laughing my head off at the questions and responses that Ken Ham used.† He is not really very skillful himself.
Comment icon #18 Posted by Desertrat56 on 30 November, 2019, 7:15
I would like to know why Ham didn't build his creationist ark park in Australia?†
Comment icon #19 Posted by psyche101 on 30 November, 2019, 8:53
Ken's presentation was amateurish at best. His past as a primary school teacher really showed in his power point presentations. Bill Nye was well accepted by the people. They voted on the debate and the result was ... †
Comment icon #20 Posted by psyche101 on 30 November, 2019, 8:54
Funding.
Comment icon #21 Posted by jypsijemini on 1 December, 2019, 12:50
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2019/11/found-frozen-and-almost-perfectly-preserved-in-permafrost-this-18000-year-old-puppy-could-be-a-huge-deal/ He's sooooo cute!!
Comment icon #22 Posted by Desertrat56 on 1 December, 2019, 20:30
Yes,† the video I mentioned was the one where Bill Nye went to the Ark theme park and Ken was on the attack.† I think I scarmbled my words.† I started to watch the debate but I didn't have 2 hours or even 30 minutes to get in to it.† The first 5 minutes were enough for me to see that Ken is claiming non-religious scientists change the meanings of words, and in his "proof" of that, he changed the meaning of words.††
Comment icon #23 Posted by Desertrat56 on 1 December, 2019, 20:31
Yeah, I thought so.† He can't charge 57.99 to australians to present his lies and anti-science, but there are plenty in the US that have spare money to give to him.† He probably got the idea from all the televangelists that get people to send them money for air.
Comment icon #24 Posted by Desertrat56 on 1 December, 2019, 20:32
Wow, that is intact.† Amazing.

Planet found orbiting white dwarf in world first
12-5-2019
Astronomers have discovered a huge planet orbiting the burnt-out husk of a star that was once like the Sun.
Can your dreams predict a person's death ?
12-5-2019
A 25-year study has looked into the correlation between precognitive death dreams and a person actually dying.
Navy officer saw 'two-mile-wide UFO' over base
12-5-2019
Lee Adams, who once served aboard the USS Nimitz, recalls witnessing a huge object over a base in Virginia.
NASA reveals Parker Solar Probe discoveries
12-4-2019
The groundbreaking solar probe has sent back its first observations from the edge of the Sun's atmosphere.
My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA

The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia