Monday, December 9, 2019

World's first genuine 'fly and drive' car unveiled

Posted on Wednesday, 4 December, 2019 | Comment icon 10 comments

This flying car can now be yours... for a price. Image Credit: YouTube / PAL-V
The Pioneer Personal Air Landing Vehicle (or PAL-V) looks like something out of Back to the Future II.
For the first time, consumers with a large enough bank account will have the opportunity to acquire a vehicle that actually ticks enough boxes to be considered a genuine 'flying car'.

Unlike other recently revealed aerial vehicles that are more like drones than cars, the PAL-V is the real deal and is capable of both driving along the road and flying through the sky.

Its 27-gallon fuel tank enables it to fly up to 310 miles at an altitude of up to 11,500 feet while also providing enough gas to travel 750 miles along the ground.
The vehicle's flying ability comes courtesy of helicopter-style rotor blades which fold away when not in use and can be redeployed anywhere within as little as 10 minutes.

Prospective drivers however will need a full pilot's license in order to fly the machine.

"After years of hard work, beating the technical and qualification challenges, our team succeeded in creating an innovative flying car that complies with existing safety standards, determined by regulatory bodies around the world," said company CEO Robert Dingemanse.

The biggest caveat however is the price - the PAL-V costs a whopping $599,000.

Source: CBS Local | Comments (10)

Tags: Flying Car

Comment icon #1 Posted by OverSword on 4 December, 2019, 17:49
I do not trust Helicopters.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Desertrat56 on 4 December, 2019, 17:53
Wait, I did not see the orange one fly at all.  And I think a few years ago there was a german company making flying cars that cost a lot less than that one.  I will have to see if I can find a link.
Comment icon #3 Posted by Desertrat56 on 4 December, 2019, 17:59
  https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2019/05/16/flying-taxi-lilium-lon-orig.cnn-business/video/playlists/business-future-cars/ I did not find the one I was looking for.  2017 there was a demo of one that could park in a regular parking space, then lift above traffic.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Dark_Grey on 4 December, 2019, 19:22
I'm not that old and I've seen at least 3 finished flying cars in my lifetime. You know what I haven't seen? A mass production of them. These things will never be more than an expensive toy. A cool, expensive little toy.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Peterk505 on 4 December, 2019, 20:01
The biggest obstacle with all these is the getting and maintaining of a pilot's licence.
Comment icon #6 Posted by qxcontinuum on 5 December, 2019, 3:59
not at all the first one. I remember about 9 years ago one got sold on eBay for something like $70,000 It was made by Boeing
Comment icon #7 Posted by Hammerclaw on 5 December, 2019, 5:20
Pretty lame, considering what's already flying. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=blackfly+flying+car&&view=detail&mid=EBEEAF956D659C101854EBEEAF956D659C101854&&FORM=VRDGAR
Comment icon #8 Posted by RoofGardener on 5 December, 2019, 8:30
ROFL If you're going to build a time machine into a car, you base it on something exotic like a Delorean.  If you're going to be a crime-fighter with an artificial-intelligence indestructible car called KITT, you use a Pontiac Firebird.  Even Lady Penelope's car was based on a Rolls Royce.  THESE people have based their flying car on.... a Reliant Robin ! This does NOT bode well. It may be able to fly, but it will roll over onto its roof every time it goes around a bend !
Comment icon #9 Posted by Calibeliever on 6 December, 2019, 14:12
I hadn't seen that. That's cool.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Swede on 6 December, 2019, 17:57
World's First? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerocar http://www.goldenwingsmuseum.com/collection/AC-Pages/Aero Car .

Can dogs smell the passage of time ?
12-9-2019
Some dogs seem to have the uncanny ability to know exactly when their owner is returning home, but how ?
'Expedition Bigfoot' set to track down Sasquatch
12-8-2019
A new TV series will follow a team of Bigfoot hunters as they attempt to find evidence of the creature's existence.
Plants 'scream' when stressed out, study finds
12-8-2019
Scientists have discovered that plants emit ultrasonic 'squeals' when stressed due to drought or damage.
Pentagon in U-turn over secretive UFO program
12-8-2019
The US government has completely changed its story over the purpose of its now-cancelled UFO program.
My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA

The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia