Wednesday, May 25, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Metaphysics & Psychology > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Metaphysics & Psychology

Can your dreams predict a person's death ?

December 5, 2019 | Comment icon 11 comments

Do our dreams warn us about future events ? Image Credit: Louis Janmot
A 25-year study has looked into the correlation between precognitive death dreams and a person actually dying.
While there has never been any conclusive evidence to suggest that our dreams are capable of predicting future events, there are some who remain adamant that the idea does have merit.

One notable case, which occurred back in 1975, involved a woman who awoke from a terrible nightmare in which she had seen herself die while trying to rescue her daughter from a train track.

A mere two weeks later, both were killed by a train under the exact same circumstances.

But could this have just been a coincidence or was there more to it than that ?

Enter Dr. Andrew Paquette - a dream researcher who, skeptical of such claims, has conducted his own extensive study by recording his own dreams over a period of 25 years in an effort to prove that precognitive dreams are simply a case of random chance and selective memory.

In 2015 he carried out an analysis of his dream records by first looking for any dreams that related to the deaths of people he knew but that he had experienced before that person's actual death.
He ended up with twelve names, which he then cross-referenced against all his dreams.

His findings indicated that for those twelve people, his dreams about their deaths had been experienced much closer to their time of death than his dreams that were not about their deaths.

While this isn't that significant on its own (especially given that there was often a gap of up to six years between such dreams and the person's death), in one particular case he discovered that he had dreamed about a person's death on the very same day that they had actually died.

On that morning he had even awoken and told his wife that he was certain that the person was dead.

Could this have just been a coincidence or did he really foresee the death in his dream ?

As things stand, it's impossible to know for sure.

Source: Psychology Today | Comments (11)

Comment icon #2 Posted by AllPossible 3 years ago
My dreams aren't working
Comment icon #3 Posted by docyabut2 3 years ago
No dreams are just dreams but of what one`s emotions ;
Comment icon #4 Posted by Free99 3 years ago
My mother passed away this past Saturday 11/30/19. A few days before her death I awoke to the voice of my father who died in 1986 that said one word to me. Suffering!!! My mother was bed ridden a few weeks before her death.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Gary Meadows 3 years ago
Simple answer? No.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Calibeliever 3 years ago
Sorry for your loss. I hope you were comforted by your father's visit.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Scholar4Truth 3 years ago
I usually don't have dreams before someone dies, rather I sometimes get a gut feeling. My uncle passed away before Thanksgiving and the day he died, I woke up that morning with a feeling of something wrong that told me I need to call him. Well when I did his girlfriend he was living with answered and told my family the news.
Comment icon #8 Posted by joc 3 years ago
It's like buying a particular car. Suddenly, wow...they are everywhere...you had no idea how popular that...car...was, because you never noticed them before...suddenly, you notice! We don't realize how often we think a thought. We don't realize because our conscious memory only goes so far...and not very far at that. So... if a particular thought...or in this case, dream (all dreams are sparked by thought) occurs just prior to the actual death of someone...wow, it must be psychic...not really, it's a coincidence of frequency of thought, nothing more.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Jon the frog 2 years ago
The subconscious probably detect a disease before it hit, Therefore, you can dream of it because your subconscious is telling you that this person is sick.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Free99 2 years ago
Thank you so much. It got me out of bed confused and half asleep. My mom was the first person that came to mind when I put two and two together.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Debra F. II 2 years ago
It hasn't happened lately, haven't had to attend funerals lately but generally since I was very young, if I had adream and if there was a baby in it, we'd generally have a death in our immediate family, within 2 weeks to one day. Andthere is adistinct odor that I smell that also gives me a heads up on an upcoming death of someone I know friends and family.

Total Posts: 7,267,558    Topics: 298,925    Members: 197,020