Sunday, May 16, 2021

Scientists solve mystery of Tuvan throat singing

Posted on Monday, 23 March, 2020 | Comment icon 7 comments

It takes a lifetime of practice to master the art of throat singing. Image Credit: YouTube / Tonio Delafuente
A unique form of singing that produces two tones simultaneously has remained an enigma for many years.
A staple of cultures across central Asia for generations, Tuvan throat singing is a unique form of song that produces dual tones through a mechanism that scientists have long struggled to fully understand.

"They can produce two different pitches, which goes against the typical way we think about how speech sounds are produced," said study lead author Christopher Bergevin.

"It was a bit of a mystery how they did it and it's something researchers have wondered about for the last two decades."

To get to the bottom of how Tuvan throat singing works, researchers recorded high-quality audio in a sound booth and used an MRI scanner to capture images of a throat singer in action.
The resulting computer reconstruction revealed two distinct parts of the vocal tract that the throat singers were able to use to produce sound, almost as though it was a musical instrument.

The key to producing two notes simultaneously seemed to lie in maintaining very precise control over the vocal tract in order to merge together multiple resonances at certain frequencies at the same time.

"The Tuvans are able to make this sound through such precise control of their vocal track that they can kind of tease these things out and create simultaneous sounds," said Bergevin.

You can check out a video of a Tuvan throat singer performing below.

Source: SciTech Daily | Comments (7)

Tags: Tuvan, Throat Singing

Comment icon #1 Posted by acute on 11 March, 2020, 17:59
I can whistle and hum the same tune at the same time, if that's any good.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Jon the frog on 23 March, 2020, 20:14
Lot of amazing stuff people can do with training ! But sure that Bigfoot is able to do that !
Comment icon #3 Posted by Stiff on 23 March, 2020, 20:16
Me too! Me too! (I just tried it)
Comment icon #4 Posted by Seti42 on 24 March, 2020, 2:09
I also can 'whum' (whistle and hum). I cannot figure out circular breathing, though. Tuvan throat singing is amazing stuff, though. I've seen it live in a concert hall and its even more impressive then.
Comment icon #5 Posted by SpaceBumZaphod on 25 March, 2020, 6:22
I've seen videos of other performers throat singing. It's an eerie, yet beautiful form of music. Loved this video.
Comment icon #6 Posted by jbondo on 25 March, 2020, 18:22
I can stand on my head and spit quarters.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Chaldon on 28 March, 2020, 12:43
It took me about 10 years to master the kargyraa and the khoomei styles (sygyt is still a bit beyond me). It probably could take less time but I did it without a teacher (just like everything I do). Throat singing is a weird art and the hardest part is that there is no way to describe how to do it. It's just like Yoda said, 'do it or do not, there is no try'. For example, more than half of the learning time I did it the wrong way, the much harder way than it could properly be done. I mean there was a sound and it sounded good and kinda right, but the strain in the throat was way too hard to ad... [More]

Liquid water discovered inside a meteorite
5-16-2021
For the first time, scientists have found liquid water inside a meteorite from the earliest days of the solar system.
Flight crews saw UFOs 'every day for two years'
5-16-2021
A former US Navy pilot has explained how commonplace sightings of UFOs off the east coast actually are.
Can humans breathe through their rectum ?
5-15-2021
A new study has revealed that pigs and other mammals can absorb oxygen through their rear-ends.
Man has incredible ability to sing backwards
5-15-2021
John Sevier Austin possesses the unique ability to talk and even sing backwards with absolute precision.
Mystery 'troll' captured on camera
4-24-2021 | Marsta, Sweden

My Grandfather's NDE
4-24-2021 | Oakland, California

The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball