Friday, June 5, 2020

Never-before-seen thylacine footage discovered

Posted on Tuesday, 19 May, 2020 | Comment icon 40 comments

Benjamin was held in captivity for several years. Image Credit: NSFA
A newly unearthed promotional video is thought to contain the last known footage of a live Tasmanian tiger.
The black-and-white clip, which was released today by the National Film and Sound Archive of Australia (NSFA), had been part of a 1930s travelogue entitled Tasmania the Wonderland.

The animal itself - an individual known as Benjamin - was captured on film pacing around its enclosure at Hobart Zoo in 1935, making this the last known footage of a live thylacine.

"Zookeeper Arthur Reid and an associate rattle his cage at the far right of frame, attempting to cajole some action or perhaps elicit one of the marsupial's famous threat-yawns," the NFSA wrote.
Sadly Benjamin died in 1936, the year after this footage was taken.

While there have been fleeting sightings of thylacines since then, their continued existence remains a topic of hot debate with some researchers remaining adamant that the species is still out there.

You can check out the newly released footage for yourself below.

Source: News.com.au | Comments (40)

Tags: Thylacine

Comment icon #31 Posted by jbondo on 20 May, 2020, 11:51
No, I've seen them both. It was probably sent to me once or twice. I have written and edited for a couple different websites and was privy to a lot of content that the general public wasn't. I developed many connections in various genre's of what I term "alternative" media. I had my UFO contacts, criptid contacts, paranormal, etc.. It's pretty cool at times as Nick Pope helped me with a couple investigations, I got to do a Q&A with Travis Walton, interacted with Dr Jeff Meldrum, etc...After a few years of making connections, people send you all sorts of interesting stuff. While yesterday I... [More]
Comment icon #32 Posted by Matt221 on 21 May, 2020, 15:11
When we lived on the farm my mum rescued a little tiny fox cub that came from a den that was ploughed up we had it for ages it lived for a couple years then all of a sudden just keeled over but it used to spend its time when not being petted in with the ducks and chickens,my uncle also had one of the cub and to cut a long story short it killed all his ornamental ducks one evening .............. the end result was'nt pretty for the ducks or the fox
Comment icon #33 Posted by oldrover on 21 May, 2020, 20:52
Tell me about it. This has been a nightmare. If the original release had been syndicated it'd have been fine. Unfortunately this was a rival release.
Comment icon #34 Posted by openozy on 22 May, 2020, 0:38
You cant blame them they are truly wild,I remember feeding our fox cat food but I offered it a dead bird and it nearly took my hand off.
Comment icon #35 Posted by psyche101 on 22 May, 2020, 1:15
The Russians have a taming program that's been in place for decades. You can buy a domestic fox, but the price is exorbitant.
Comment icon #36 Posted by openozy on 22 May, 2020, 1:34
I've seen something about that,the tame foxes are starting to breed different colours,not from human selection.Probably the coloured ones aren't targeted and weeded out by nature,they are learning to be sociable with humans from birth also.Shows how quick ancient dogs probably became our allies.
Comment icon #37 Posted by the13bats on 22 May, 2020, 2:15
I guess my dads fox was wilder than most
Comment icon #38 Posted by psyche101 on 22 May, 2020, 2:21
That's actually the point of the program    Or there's always a Pomsky...... How awesome is this dog.....
Comment icon #39 Posted by openozy on 22 May, 2020, 2:32
He wouldn't last long walking through a sheep paddock here lol.Beautiful animal,as are foxes
Comment icon #40 Posted by Matt221 on 22 May, 2020, 12:37

Insane landslide sweeps houses into the sea
6-5-2020
Video footage shows the moment a huge landslide caused several houses to be swept into the ocean.
Oldest and largest Mayan structure discovered
6-5-2020
Researchers have identified a gigantic Mayan ceremonial platform in Mexico dating back 3,000 years.
'Poltergeist' movie curse endures 38 years on
6-5-2020
On June 4th, 1982, this chilling cult-classic horror movie debuted to cinema audiences for the first time.
Armored dinosaur fossil reveals its last meal
6-4-2020
Scientists have analyzed the stomach contents of the well-preserved remains of an armor-plated dinosaur.
Orb of light in room
5-9-2020 | USA/Texas/Waco

Not sleeping alone
5-9-2020 | Los Angeles

Glowing red eyes
5-9-2020 | Fields, Louisiana

Two creature sightings
5-1-2020 | Augusta and Louisana

My haunted home
5-1-2020 | Rainham, Essex, UK

In over my head
3-3-2020 | CA

Stranger at night
3-3-2020 | Merritt Island, FL, U.S.

The babysitter