Tuesday, July 5, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Spirituality > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Spirituality

Man who claims to be Jesus arrested in Russia

September 23, 2020 | Comment icon 27 comments

Vissarion is a well known spiritual leader in Russia. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 W0zny
A major operation this week saw an armed police unit swoop in to arrest the leader of a modern day cult.
Sergei Torop, who was once a traffic officer but who now goes by the name Vissarion, claims that he experienced an 'awakening' after losing his job in 1989 and now has thousands of followers who believe him to be the living reincarnation of Jesus himself.

His movement, which is known as the Church of the Last Testament, is based in the Krasnoyarsk region of Siberia where his followers live in a number of remote hamlets and villages.

Russian authorities however have never been a fan - instead declaring his cult an "illegal religious organisation" and accusing it of both extorting money and subjecting its followers to emotional abuse.
Things came to a head this week when a major operation was carried out involving helicopters and armed officers who stormed the area and arrested both Vissarion and his two top aides.

The operation involved officers from Russia's FSB security service as well as the police.

Vissarion was last seen being lead out to a helicopter by masked troops.

Exactly what will happen to him now remains to be seen.

Source: The Guardian | Comments (27)

Comment icon #18 Posted by mdbuilder 2 years ago
I beg to differ, what happens to him now will remain unseen.
Comment icon #19 Posted by Seti42 2 years ago
Pffft, he looks nothing like the guy on my toast and tortillas.
Comment icon #20 Posted by third_eye 2 years ago
Next up, Putin sings...  ~
Comment icon #21 Posted by OpenMindedSceptic 2 years ago
He is not the Messiah, he is a very naughty man.
Comment icon #22 Posted by Free99 2 years ago
If he had claimed to be Elvis reincarnated no one would care. But Jesus yea those claims will get you noticed.
Comment icon #23 Posted by docyabut2 2 years ago
 Later, Jesus sat on the Mount of Olives. His disciples came to him privately and said, “Tell us, when will all this happen? What sign will signal your return and the end of the world?[a]”  Jesus told them, “Don’t let anyone mislead you, 5 for many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah   https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+24&version=NLT
Comment icon #24 Posted by Drifter119 2 years ago
Ya know, I'm reading this fast; and thinking trumpo got arrested in Russia ???
Comment icon #25 Posted by psyche101 2 years ago
Wouldn't matter it Trump Jesus or Hulk Hogan showed up.  Putin would kick their collective butts one at a time or all at once.
Comment icon #26 Posted by TashaMarie 2 years ago
Great song.
Comment icon #27 Posted by Raptor Witness 2 years ago
From the OP: "I am not God. And it is a mistake to see Jesus as God," he once said. "But I am the living word of God the father. Everything that God wants to say, he says through me." Classic AntiChrist material ..... I'm not sorry, to say.

Total Posts: 7,288,879    Topics: 299,851    Members: 197,597