Tuesday, October 19, 2021
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Bizarre > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )
Bizarre

Mystery illness sees man burping constantly

February 14, 2021 | Comment icon 8 comments

His condition was triggered by a simple cup of tea. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Najwa A. Marafie
Michael O'Reilly started belching uncontrollably after drinking a cup of tea last year and is now unable to stop.
While the odd burp now and then is generally nothing of concern, imagine being struck down by an affliction that leaves you burping over and over again - day in, day out.

This has become an unfortunate reality for the 61-year-old father-of-two from Birmingham after the simple act of drinking a cup of tea last June triggered a condition that he's been unable to resolve.

"It was before I went out on the golf course and the old guy I was playing with gave me a couple of boiled sweets to help as it continued during the round," he said.

"But it only seemed to make it worse, I kept on burping. It was pretty off-putting but I thought nothing more of it - until the burps would not stop coming the next day."

"They happen every seven minutes now, pretty much without fail, they can be short single burp or a series of sharp ones which come out of nowhere. It's almost like a hiccup as you can't feel them coming, they just take me by surprise, and it's been an absolute nightmare."

So far doctors have been unable to find an answer and despite prescribing him various medications, Michael's burping continues unabated. He has even spoken to a neurologist, but nothing has helped.

"They are really loud and getting louder. I've been searching for work but this has made it almost impossible," he said.

"Who is going to employ someone who is burping every few minutes through an interview?"

Source: Lad Bible | Comments (8)

Comment icon #1 Posted by Ell 8 months ago
What kind of gas does he burp up? Hydrogen gas?
Comment icon #2 Posted by rashore 8 months ago
Seems most likely to be air according to the article. Doctors aren't sure yet.
Comment icon #3 Posted by Jon the frog 8 months ago
Maybe aerophagia ?
Comment icon #4 Posted by Ell 8 months ago
Excellent suggestion. If it is ordinary air, then his lower esophagal sphincter must be damaged.
Comment icon #5 Posted by pallidin 8 months ago
Well, I'm no doctor, but I've had similar events when over-consuming beverages of any type consisting of carbonation. Presuming this is NOT this case, there must be something else wrong. Hospital stay, no food (just water) at all for 3 days. If it continues to happen it is a parasitic gut infection of some type treatable through medication. Again, just an opinion.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Timothy 8 months ago
Oooh lol. I can do that but never knew it had a name. Thanks friend!
Comment icon #7 Posted by Still Waters 8 months ago
That's been covered in the article. https://www.ladbible.com/news/weird-man-suffering-with-mystery-illness-that-causes-him-to-burp-constantly-20210214
Comment icon #8 Posted by alansmithdc 8 months ago
As a Chiropractor, adjusting C-4 area can relieve hiccups.  I am thinking if vertebral segments associated with digestion, it would not hurt to have those segments evaluated and adjusted. "Look to the Spine for the cause of all disease" Hippocrates, Father of Modern Medicine