Monday, July 26, 2021

Beekeeper removes giant hive from under shed

Posted on Monday, 15 March, 2021 | Comment icon 7 comments

Are there bees under your garden shed ? Image Credit: YouTube / Texas Beeworks
A recent viral video shows beekeeper Erika Thompson uncovering a huge beehive beneath a garden shed.
Finding a nest of bees in your home or garden can be problematic at the best of times, but imagine discovering an enormous hive underneath the floorboards, accessible only via a tiny hole.

This was the situation faced by Texas beekeeper Erika Thompson recently when she was called out to remove a hive that had been slowly growing in size beneath a garden shed for over two years.

The video, which shows her carefully lifting up the floorboards and removing the hive, has since gone viral, with more than 1.5 million people viewing it on Twitter alone.
Whereas most people would sooner run a mile than go near the bees, Thompson proved herself ever the professional by not only cutting the floor open to access the hive, but also removing the honeycombs without any protective clothing whatsoever - not even gloves or headgear.

"Bees had been living in this backyard shed for over two years and I was called to rescue them," she wrote. "Here's a quick look at the bee removal process and what it's like to be a beekeeper working every day to save the bees!"

She has described the reaction to her video, which you can view below, as 'incredible' and joked that it was 'just a normal Tuesday' for her.

Source: BBC News | Comments (7)

Tags: Bees

Comment icon #1 Posted by Jon the frog on 15 March, 2021, 18:13
Something with body odor/pheromones is probably helping her. Calm attitude too.
Comment icon #2 Posted by spartan max2 on 15 March, 2021, 18:28
The crocodile hunter of bees
Comment icon #3 Posted by Seti42 on 15 March, 2021, 19:57
I've seen this video popping up everywhere. I get it. It is pretty amazing, and she's easy on the eyes too.
Comment icon #4 Posted by ercbreeze on 16 March, 2021, 2:59
Wow--she is good at bee keeping/handling.  I want to work for her!
Comment icon #5 Posted by DanL on 28 March, 2021, 1:10
Honey bees are basically gentle little bugs and only sting to protect themselves or their queen. I have handled them off and on since I was a kid and we had hives on the family farm. A few years ago we were camping and a huge swarm of bees came into the campground and people freaked out. They were talking about burning them or something. I just walked over to the low tree limb that they had swarmed on and settled down for the evening and slipped my hand and arm into the mass of bees. I felt around till I found the queen and then gently eased her off the limb. I had my Granddaughter with me and... [More]
Comment icon #6 Posted by Festina on 7 April, 2021, 19:53
That was Entirely Pleasant.  Thank You.  I Taste a liquor Never Brewed by Emily Dickinson  I taste a liquor never brewed, From tankards scooped in pearl; Not all the vats upon the Rhine Yield such an alcohol! Inebriate of air am I, And debauchee of dew, Reeling, through endless summer days, From inns of molten blue. When landlords turn the drunken bee Out of the foxglove's door, When butterflies renounce their drams, I shall but drink the more! Till seraphs swing their snowy hats, And saints to windows run, To see the little tippler Leaning against the sun!
Comment icon #7 Posted by Festina on 7 April, 2021, 19:57
They are.  My grandmother kept bees and I’ve only been stung once in my life — when I was careless running barefoot through the clover in her lawn. I deserved it.  Poor honey bee.

Can quantum physics explain consciousness ?
7-25-2021
Some scientists have speculated that consciousness could be the product of quantum processes.
Branson and Bezos are not astronauts, US says
7-25-2021
Following the two billionaires' historic flights, the FAA has decided to tighten the definition of the term 'astronaut'.
Deep-sea 'Eye of Sauron' volcano discovered
7-24-2021
Researchers have discovered an undersea volcano that looks like something out of 'The Lord of the Rings'.
Uri Geller claims that he saw aliens at NASA
7-24-2021
Celebrity spoon-bender Uri Geller claims that he saw 'refrigerated aliens' during his time working with NASA.
Mystery 'troll' captured on camera
4-24-2021 | Marsta, Sweden

My Grandfather's NDE
4-24-2021 | Oakland, California

The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball