Thursday, May 26, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Extraterrestrial > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Extraterrestrial

NASA scientists call for agreement on how to announce evidence of aliens

October 28, 2021 | Comment icon 25 comments

How should evidence of alien life be disclosed ? Image Credit: CC BY 3.0 John Masterson, CSIRO
The space agency wants the world to agree on the best way to reveal that alien life has been found.
Given the lack of a worldwide authority on all matters pertaining to the hunt for extraterrestrial life, it is currently unclear who would be responsible for announcing such a discovery or what they would say.

It would certainly be a monumental revelation - an answer to one of mankind's most enduring philosophical questions and something that could have serious repercussions for our society.

But there is also another possibility - the discovery of evidence that, while pointing to the likelihood of the existence of alien life, might not be immediately conclusive, with further confirmation taking years or even decades to obtain.

In such a circumstance, it would be important to establish exactly how to announce said evidence without jumping to conclusions and without misleading people.

To this end, NASA scientists are now calling on the global community to establish a clear set of guidelines for announcing such evidence should it be found in the not-too-distant future.
"Our generation could realistically be the one to discover evidence of life beyond Earth," the authors of a new study on the subject wrote. "With this privileged potential comes responsibility."

"The magnitude of the question of whether we are alone in the universe, and the public interest therein, opens the possibility that results may be taken to imply more than the observations support, or than the observers intend."

To address this, they argue, there should be a clearly established set of "objective standards" for defining evidence of alien life, in addition to "best practices" for revealing it to the public.

The key would be to avoid sensationalizing the discovery and to stick to the known facts.

Even the slightest hint of such a find could have a profound impact.

Source: Independent | Comments (25)

Comment icon #16 Posted by Manwon Lender 7 months ago
Still talkin in riddles spit it out!! Because you dont always get what you want, not with me, you can play your game with others, remember I have reading comprehension of 5 year old like you pointed in another thread.  You know it seems like your stalking me, because every thread I have posted in you have added nothing to and the only reason you posted was to respond to me personally!
Comment icon #17 Posted by Dejarma 7 months ago
you've made yaself look stupid mate!!!! i'll leave you to it- enjoy
Comment icon #18 Posted by Golden Duck 7 months ago
Participate in what exactly? Sovereign nations of the world will ultimately decide how information is communicated to their citizens. Whatever has been discussed in the US Senate has produced nothing, but is peculiar to the USA.  That has nothing to do with the NASA global appeal.
Comment icon #19 Posted by Manwon Lender 7 months ago
As they should,  so I guess we agree on something my friend!! I thought this thread was about the NASA Global Appeal or am I wrong, if so please correct me.
Comment icon #20 Posted by Manwon Lender 7 months ago
Thanks because your are unable to communicate without riddles and games. If you would like I can copy and past for everyone all the threads you have followed me around and added nothing to except quotes to me personally I believe it was 3 so far today do you want me to do that?
Comment icon #21 Posted by ChrLzs 7 months ago
Seems like a waste of a discussion to me.  1. To date there is no terrestrial evidence of alien visitation.  Not a shred. 2. I think most sensible hoomans agree that there is very probably some alien life on other worlds in the Cosmos ... but sentient? Technological? Space faring?  Nearby enough to communicate? 3. Most foreign countries couldn't give a dam what NASA or the US wants to control. 4. They could only control it (even for a short while) if it's evidence collected by NASA or some US gov't department like Defence.  What if it's one of the ever increasing countries that hate or disresp... [More]
Comment icon #22 Posted by Golden Duck 7 months ago
Well said.  Why is this important now?  Nothing happened in the 90s.
Comment icon #23 Posted by Myles 7 months ago
I totally agree.   To think that every government on this planet is actively hiding information that shows aliens have been visiting the planet is insane.
Comment icon #24 Posted by Raptor Witness 7 months ago
NASA isn't brave enough to do it.
Comment icon #25 Posted by jmccr8 7 months ago
Hi Raptor All NASA has to do is their job which clearly isn't making false claims about alien life as they are not the only word on what is going on out there.

Total Posts: 7,267,842    Topics: 298,932    Members: 197,031