Thursday, July 30, 2015   |   7,251 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

Ghost hunters haunted by competition

Posted on Tuesday, 10 September, 2013 | Comment icon 45 comments

Arwin John with members of Ghost Hunters International. Image Credit: CC 1.0 Arwin John
Once a curious and kooky passtime, hunting ghosts has now gone mainstream in a highly competitive way.
TV shows such as Ghost Hunters and Most Haunted have been attributed with bringing the field of paranormal investigation to the masses, turning what was once nothing more than a quirky hobby in to an international phenomenon.

Unsurprisingly, TV shows about ghost hunting have increased following these initial successes, leading to competition between television networks looking to produce the next big hit.

So many such shows have surfaced in fact that it has reached the point of oversaturation, a problem exacerbated by increasingly exorbitant claims, overly dramatic performances and disagreements between competing paranormal groups.

"With all of these paranormal shows, we're asking people to unite and to quit being so selfish and childish and share evidence and experiences with one another," said Zak Bagans of the Travel Channel's "Ghost Adventures" series. "People don't need to compete against one another."

Source: CNN | Comments (45)

Tags: Ghost, Haunting

Comment icon #36 Posted by Purplos on 2 December, 2013, 18:29
My son loves these shows and I enjoy them too. They offer a great opportunity to talk about the scientific process, how things can be tested and why people would fake things. I don't personally know how much of any of them are real. I see them as entertainment just like any other TV program.
Comment icon #37 Posted by Lava_Lady on 2 December, 2013, 18:40
That Zach Bagans dude is annoying. I can't watch a minute of his idiocy without getting irritated, much less time if the sound is on. And what is up with his ridiculous hair? Almost as bad as George Tsoukalous.
Comment icon #38 Posted by sinewave on 2 December, 2013, 19:13
I hear what you are saying and a lot of what they do does look like science. However, they always lack the necessary controls and there are a lot of unexplained (unverified) assumptions on which the tests are built. Too many assumptions to put any faith in the results.
Comment icon #39 Posted by sinewave on 2 December, 2013, 19:17
Yeah, he's a piece of work. And yes, the hair is a wonder to behold. I especially like how he says "phenomenas" instead of phenomena.
Comment icon #40 Posted by Child of Bast on 2 December, 2013, 20:21
Comment icon #41 Posted by sinewave on 2 December, 2013, 20:42
Yes, and results (or the appearance thereof) are in their best interest. People who prey on human frailties are the lowest form of scum.
Comment icon #42 Posted by Purplos on 3 December, 2013, 0:57
Yes, I know. That's why it's a great opportunity to talk about the real scientific process. lol
Comment icon #43 Posted by sinewave on 3 December, 2013, 1:23
Nice!
Comment icon #44 Posted by Sakari on 3 December, 2013, 2:57
I have had experiences. And, ALL of these shows are fake! Ghosts are not real, only in ones head, and imagination. Also, you can give your opinion because you " had " experiences ", but if people that have not had " experiences " can not? Biased?
Comment icon #45 Posted by QuiteContrary on 3 December, 2013, 4:29
I agree. My daughter was always scared of a particular cryptid show I watch and would never watch it. After a few years, she finally said "Mom, I want to watch this show so I can get over my fear." She asks excellent skeptical questions and I'm letting her figure out for herself what this show is really about. We get to talk about all kinds of science and animal behavior as well as entertainment value and marketing ploys and such. She now watches it with me and sleeps soundly at night after watching the show.

Something roaming in the woods
7-19-2015 | Salt Fork, Ohio

Strange growl
7-16-2015 | Yakima, WA

Loud screeching in the woods
7-10-2015 | Kansas, IL

Was she my spirit guide?
7-3-2015 | Ringgold, Georgia, USA

Floating above my bed
7-2-2015 | Brittany, France

The haunted Queenslander
7-2-2015 | Queensland, Australia

'IT' was there to take me!
7-2-2015 | Ringgold, Georgia, USA

My haunted basement apartment
7-1-2015 | Washington DC

Stange happenings one summer
6-23-2015 | Lynchburg, South Carolina

Soulmates in another life ?
6-11-2015 | Florida, United States