Sunday, July 24, 2016

Ghost hunters haunted by competition

Posted on Tuesday, 10 September, 2013 | Comment icon 45 comments

Arwin John with members of Ghost Hunters International. Image Credit: CC 1.0 Arwin John
Once a curious and kooky passtime, hunting ghosts has now gone mainstream in a highly competitive way.
TV shows such as Ghost Hunters and Most Haunted have been attributed with bringing the field of paranormal investigation to the masses, turning what was once nothing more than a quirky hobby in to an international phenomenon.

Unsurprisingly, TV shows about ghost hunting have increased following these initial successes, leading to competition between television networks looking to produce the next big hit.

So many such shows have surfaced in fact that it has reached the point of oversaturation, a problem exacerbated by increasingly exorbitant claims, overly dramatic performances and disagreements between competing paranormal groups.

"With all of these paranormal shows, we're asking people to unite and to quit being so selfish and childish and share evidence and experiences with one another," said Zak Bagans of the Travel Channel's "Ghost Adventures" series. "People don't need to compete against one another."

Source: CNN | Comments (45)

Tags: Ghost, Haunting

Comment icon #36 Posted by Purplos on 2 December, 2013, 18:29
Comment icon #37 Posted by Lava_Lady on 2 December, 2013, 18:40
Comment icon #38 Posted by sinewave on 2 December, 2013, 19:13
My son loves these shows and I enjoy them too. They offer a great opportunity to talk about the scientific process, how things can be tested and why people would fake things. I don't personally know how much of any of them are real. I see them as entertainment just like any other TV program. I hear what you are saying and a lot of what they do does look like science. However, they always lack the necessary controls and there are a lot of unexplained (unverified) assumptions on which the tests are built. Too many assumptions to put any faith in the results.
Comment icon #39 Posted by sinewave on 2 December, 2013, 19:17
That Zach Bagans dude is annoying. I can't watch a minute of his idiocy without getting irritated, much less time if the sound is on. And what is up with his ridiculous hair? Almost as bad as George Tsoukalous. Yeah, he's a piece of work. And yes, the hair is a wonder to behold. I especially like how he says "phenomenas" instead of phenomena.
Comment icon #40 Posted by Child of Bast on 2 December, 2013, 20:21
If people want to truly investigate the paranormal and bring it into mainstream science, all these shows have to go. Period, end of story. No mainstream scientific discoveries are heard about til after everything is done and they've reached a conclusion and have something they feel worthy of sharing with the general public. They don't have television shows with rival groups of scientists who are trying to reach the same conclusion about something, using different approaches. The paranormal will always hover in the realm of pseudo-science because it's all on television and people don't take thi... [More]
Comment icon #41 Posted by sinewave on 2 December, 2013, 20:42
Comment icon #42 Posted by Purplos on 3 December, 2013, 0:57
I hear what you are saying and a lot of what they do does look like science. However, they always lack the necessary controls and there are a lot of unexplained (unverified) assumptions on which the tests are built. . Yes, I know. That's why it's a great opportunity to talk about the real scientific process. lol
Comment icon #43 Posted by sinewave on 3 December, 2013, 1:23
Yes, I know. That's why it's a great opportunity to talk about the real scientific process. lol Nice!
Comment icon #44 Posted by Sakari on 3 December, 2013, 2:57
I've noticed that most of you think that these programs are fake. In my opinion, many are not. Unless you have had your own experiences with the paranormal, please don't subject your opinion onto others. I have lived in haunted houses and all of my grandkids, my daughter, and I have all had our own experiences with the paranormal. Myy grandsons can see spirits, so can my grand-daughter. My daughter has another ability that she refuses to use because it scares her. She can hear what another person, especially those close to death or dead are saying. So yes, spirits are all around us, You just c... [More]
Comment icon #45 Posted by QuiteContrary on 3 December, 2013, 4:29
Yes, I know. That's why it's a great opportunity to talk about the real scientific process. lol I agree. My daughter was always scared of a particular cryptid show I watch and would never watch it. After a few years, she finally said "Mom, I want to watch this show so I can get over my fear." She asks excellent skeptical questions and I'm letting her figure out for herself what this show is really about. We get to talk about all kinds of science and animal behavior as well as entertainment value and marketing ploys and such. She now watches it with me and sleeps soundly at night after watching... [More]

Has 'Beast of Bodmin' mystery been solved ?
7-24-2016
A zoo owner has come forward with information that could help to explain the alien big cat phenomenon.
New metal is four times tougher than titanium
7-24-2016
Scientists have created a brand new type of super-metal by melting together titanium and gold.
Defense firm buys out hoverboard company
7-24-2016
The jet-powered Flyboard Air hoverboard may soon be seeing use in a range of military applications.
Da Vinci's scribbles reveal hidden knowledge
7-23-2016
Sketches demonstrating the laws of friction have been identified within the margins of Da Vinci's notes.
Real-life Pokemon
Posted 7-24-2016 | 1 comment
Are there any animals in the real world that could be considered actual real-life Pokemon ?

Trans-Atlantic solar powered flight
Posted 7-23-2016 | 0 comments
A look at Solar Impulse 2, the aircraft that crossed the Atlantic using the power of the sun.

The Earth from space
Posted 7-22-2016 | 0 comments
A view of our home planet as seen through the EPIC camera on the NOAA's DSCOVR satellite

How are Oreos made ?
Posted 7-21-2016 | 2 comments
A look at the manufacturing processes involved in the creation of Oreo cookies.

Extreme landscapes: Death Valley
Posted 7-20-2016 | 0 comments
A look at Death Valley where, in 1934, temperatures soared to 134 degrees fahrenheit.

Light in Orion
7-23-2016 | Tampa, Florida

Girl with the broken neck
7-23-2016 | Mississippi

Holes in cotton clothing
7-23-2016 | Somerset, UK

Three knocks in the night
6-28-2016 | Cedar City, Utah