Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Ghost hunters haunted by competition

Posted on Tuesday, 10 September, 2013 | Comment icon 45 comments

Arwin John with members of Ghost Hunters International. Image Credit: CC 1.0 Arwin John
Once a curious and kooky passtime, hunting ghosts has now gone mainstream in a highly competitive way.
TV shows such as Ghost Hunters and Most Haunted have been attributed with bringing the field of paranormal investigation to the masses, turning what was once nothing more than a quirky hobby in to an international phenomenon.

Unsurprisingly, TV shows about ghost hunting have increased following these initial successes, leading to competition between television networks looking to produce the next big hit.

So many such shows have surfaced in fact that it has reached the point of oversaturation, a problem exacerbated by increasingly exorbitant claims, overly dramatic performances and disagreements between competing paranormal groups.

"With all of these paranormal shows, we're asking people to unite and to quit being so selfish and childish and share evidence and experiences with one another," said Zak Bagans of the Travel Channel's "Ghost Adventures" series. "People don't need to compete against one another."

Source: CNN | Comments (45)

Tags: Ghost, Haunting

Comment icon #36 Posted by Purplos on 2 December, 2013, 18:29
Comment icon #37 Posted by Lava_Lady on 2 December, 2013, 18:40
Comment icon #38 Posted by sinewave on 2 December, 2013, 19:13
My son loves these shows and I enjoy them too. They offer a great opportunity to talk about the scientific process, how things can be tested and why people would fake things. I don't personally know how much of any of them are real. I see them as entertainment just like any other TV program. I hear what you are saying and a lot of what they do does look like science. However, they always lack the necessary controls and there are a lot of unexplained (unverified) assumptions on which the tests are built. Too many assumptions to put any faith in the results.
Comment icon #39 Posted by sinewave on 2 December, 2013, 19:17
That Zach Bagans dude is annoying. I can't watch a minute of his idiocy without getting irritated, much less time if the sound is on. And what is up with his ridiculous hair? Almost as bad as George Tsoukalous. Yeah, he's a piece of work. And yes, the hair is a wonder to behold. I especially like how he says "phenomenas" instead of phenomena.
Comment icon #40 Posted by Child of Bast on 2 December, 2013, 20:21
If people want to truly investigate the paranormal and bring it into mainstream science, all these shows have to go. Period, end of story. No mainstream scientific discoveries are heard about til after everything is done and they've reached a conclusion and have something they feel worthy of sharing with the general public. They don't have television shows with rival groups of scientists who are trying to reach the same conclusion about something, using different approaches. The paranormal will always hover in the realm of pseudo-science because it's all on television and people don't take thi... [More]
Comment icon #41 Posted by sinewave on 2 December, 2013, 20:42
Comment icon #42 Posted by Purplos on 3 December, 2013, 0:57
I hear what you are saying and a lot of what they do does look like science. However, they always lack the necessary controls and there are a lot of unexplained (unverified) assumptions on which the tests are built. . Yes, I know. That's why it's a great opportunity to talk about the real scientific process. lol
Comment icon #43 Posted by sinewave on 3 December, 2013, 1:23
Yes, I know. That's why it's a great opportunity to talk about the real scientific process. lol Nice!
Comment icon #44 Posted by Sakari on 3 December, 2013, 2:57
I've noticed that most of you think that these programs are fake. In my opinion, many are not. Unless you have had your own experiences with the paranormal, please don't subject your opinion onto others. I have lived in haunted houses and all of my grandkids, my daughter, and I have all had our own experiences with the paranormal. Myy grandsons can see spirits, so can my grand-daughter. My daughter has another ability that she refuses to use because it scares her. She can hear what another person, especially those close to death or dead are saying. So yes, spirits are all around us, You just c... [More]
Comment icon #45 Posted by QuiteContrary on 3 December, 2013, 4:29
Yes, I know. That's why it's a great opportunity to talk about the real scientific process. lol I agree. My daughter was always scared of a particular cryptid show I watch and would never watch it. After a few years, she finally said "Mom, I want to watch this show so I can get over my fear." She asks excellent skeptical questions and I'm letting her figure out for herself what this show is really about. We get to talk about all kinds of science and animal behavior as well as entertainment value and marketing ploys and such. She now watches it with me and sleeps soundly at night after watching... [More]

5971997

'Orange UFO' sighted over Somerset, England
8-22-2017
The peculiar aerial phenomenon was captured on camera by Jeremy Le Fevre on Saturday evening.
Plasma heating method offers fusion boost
8-22-2017
Scientists have developed a new way of heating fusion plasmas inside tokamak nuclear fusion reactors.
What did the eclipse look like from space ?
8-22-2017
NASA and other agencies have been posting up photographs and videos of yesterday's total solar eclipse.
Mystery microbe may be key to origin of viruses
8-21-2017
The microorganism was discovered in the lakes of the Rauer Islands off the coast of Antarctica.
Mass robot dance
Posted 8-22-2017 | 1 comment
More than 1,000 programmable Dobi robots bopped in sync during this world record attempt.

How to watch the eclipse
Posted 8-21-2017 | 8 comments
Staring at the Sun is dangerous. Here's how to watch the eclipse without damaging your eyes.

The napkin ring problem
Posted 8-20-2017 | 0 comments
Why is it that any two 'napkin rings' cut from any sizes of spherical object will have equal volume ?

Why don't we use our parent's names?
Posted 8-19-2017 | 2 comments
Why do we call our parents mom and dad instead of using their actual names ?

Adam Savage meets an alien
Posted 8-18-2017 | 2 comments
The former MythBuster checks out the animatronic alien from the movie Alien Covenant.

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY

Shapeshifter
8-18-2017 | Cranbrook British Columbia

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia