Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Giant platypus fossil unearthed

Posted on Tuesday, 5 November, 2013 | Comment icon 8 comments

The platypus has a highly unusual appearance. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 1.0 Peter Scheunis
Dubbed 'platypus-zilla', the ancient ancestor of today's platypus was thought to be over 1m in length.
The duck-billed platypus is undeniably one of the most unusual creatures ever discovered. With the body of a beaver, the beak of a duck and the feet of an otter it has all the hallmarks of several different animals stitched together. When European explorers first reported encounters with the creature it was widely considered to be an elaborate hoax.

Now the story of the platypus has gained a new chapter, a prehistoric ancestor that was much larger than its modern-day counterpart. The 3ft giant would have lived between five and 15 million years ago, raising new questions about the evolution of the species.

"Suddenly up pops 'playtpus-zilla' - this gigantic monstrosity that you would have been afraid to swim with," said Prof Mike Archer. "It indicates there are branches in the platypus family tree that we hadn't suspected before."

The giant platypus is thought to have eaten fish, crustaceans and turtles in an environment covered in thick forest and riddled with freshwater ponds.

Source: BBC News | Comments (8)

Tags: Platypus

Comment icon #1 Posted by supervike on 5 November, 2013, 1:46
3ft = a Godzilla comparison? That's some serious hyperbole.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Sir Wearer of Hats on 5 November, 2013, 7:48
3ft = a Godzilla comparison? That's some serious hyperbole. Well when your average platypus is 1foot long and venomous, I'd say anything 3footish is worthy of "zilla-ising".
Comment icon #3 Posted by TheGreatBeliever on 5 November, 2013, 13:57
Every animal n insect in the past was large. U guyz can check it out here: http://listverse.com/2013/01/14/10-prehistoric-bugs-that-could-seriously-mess-you-up/
Comment icon #4 Posted by ealdwita on 5 November, 2013, 15:15
Well when your average platypus is 1foot long and venomous, I'd say anything 3footish is worthy of "zilla-ising". Well I'll be.... I honestly didn't know the platypus was venomous! Ya larns summatt evr'y blessed day, dontcha!
Comment icon #5 Posted by Taun on 5 November, 2013, 18:59
Well I'll be.... I honestly didn't know the platypus was venomous! Ya larns summatt evr'y blessed day, dontcha! It's the spurs on their feet that have the poison, eald...
Comment icon #6 Posted by Sundew on 5 November, 2013, 20:16
Well I'll be.... I honestly didn't know the platypus was venomous! Ya larns summatt evr'y blessed day, dontcha! Just the males, they have spurs on their hind legs for combating other male rivals. I saw a show on venom where someone picked up one that was sick or hurt and got jabbed, they said the pain was excruciating and lasted for days if I remember correctly, and nothing seemed to help alleviate the pain. That seems to be the purpose of the venom, make your opponent hurt enough, it will leave you alone and then you get the females. At one time some shrews were considered the only other veno... [More]
Comment icon #7 Posted by ealdwita on 6 November, 2013, 15:08
Thanks lads. It's nice to be the snippetee rather than the snippeter sometimes.
Comment icon #8 Posted by OverSword on 6 November, 2013, 19:23
snip

60 ancient shipwrecks found in the Black Sea
9-19-2017
Marine archaeologists unexpectedly stumbled across a goldmine of shipwrecks during a recent expedition.
Italian supervolcano's magma source found
9-18-2017
Scientists have discovered evidence of a 'hot zone' feeding a supervolcano in southern Italy.
Three planets to hide behind the Moon today
9-18-2017
Venus, Mars and Mercury will all be temporarily disappearing behind the Moon over the next few hours.
Man defends 'Gurning Championships' title
9-18-2017
50-year-old Ady Zivelonghi from Coventry has won the face-pulling contest for the second year in a row.
Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

I'll eat my hat
Posted 9-18-2017 | 0 comments
Where did the strange phrase 'I'll eat my hat' actually come from ?

Meet the microscopic life in your home
Posted 9-17-2017 | 0 comments
Think your home is free of meddlesome microscopic life forms ? Think again.

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY