Friday, December 15, 2017

Senior clergyman: 'angels have no wings'

Posted on Saturday, 21 December, 2013 | Comment icon 80 comments

A statue of an angel in a cemetery. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Brosen
A Catholic 'angelologist' has contested the traditional depiction of angels as winged cherubs.
Father Renzo Lavatori, a senior clergyman who is an expert on the subject of angels, believes that although these spiritual beings are once again culturally relevant, the way in which they are depicted in stories and pictures is all wrong. He contends that angels are not physical beings as tradition suggests but are instead entities comprised almost entirely of light.

"I think there is a re-discovery of angels in Christianity," he said. "You do not see angels so much as feel their presence - they are a bit like sunlight that refracts on you through a crystal vase."

Angels have persisted in stories and belief systems for more than 3,000 years with their name "angelos" meaning "messenger" in ancient Greek. Having no definitive shape or form, artists have come up with many different depictions of angelic beings over the centuries including the traditional image of a winged person with a halo and harp.

Despite the rising interest in angels however it seems that a lot of focus still lies in the areas of demons and demonology. "There is a lot more interference from diabolical forces," said Father Lavatori. "That is why you see queues of people outside the exorcists' offices in churches. Pope Francis talks more about the devil than about angels and I think rightly so. But it's still early, he will get round to the angels too."

Source: Sky News | Comments (80)

Tags: Angels

Comment icon #71 Posted by m namasivayam on 11 January, 2014, 9:50
i visualize this during meditation. is it angel with wings?
Comment icon #72 Posted by davros of skaro on 11 January, 2014, 13:42
That is sad. Life of any sort is better than the alternative, because with life there is always, hope and there are always choices and alternatives. From memory, non life was dead boring. While alive I have never had a moments boredom. I want full disclosure, and I know I will not get it here except for ramblings of the delusional.
Comment icon #73 Posted by Mr Walker on 12 January, 2014, 2:09
I want full disclosure, and I know I will not get it here except for ramblings of the delusional. There is no such thing as full disclosure, or other absolutes, in the human world because of who and what we are as cognitive beings. Most of our reality exists within our mind as well as outside of it. Every person lives within the same world/reality, yet makes of it very different outcomes for them selves. As my mother pointed out to me when I was a few years old, we can chose the lenses through which we perceive and interpret the reality around us; and hence grief and joy are both possible choi... [More]
Comment icon #74 Posted by davros of skaro on 12 January, 2014, 9:42
There is no such thing as full disclosure, or other absolutes, in the human world because of who and what we are as cognitive beings. Most of our reality exists within our mind as well as outside of it. Every person lives within the same world/reality, yet makes of it very different outcomes for them selves. As my mother pointed out to me when I was a few years old, we can chose the lenses through which we perceive and interpret the reality around us; and hence grief and joy are both possible choices to a person from one single event in their life, such as the death of a loved one, or the loss... [More]
Comment icon #75 Posted by Mr Walker on 13 January, 2014, 22:51
At first a thick chain is needed to keep a mighty Elephant, then after some years only a rope is needed. You want to run back to the Yoke, and be greatfull then that's on you. A person who accurately knows/understands them self, their universe, and their connection to that universe, is as free as any human can be. I have absolutely no constraints upon myself, except those I place on my self because of who I chose to be and how I choose to relate to my world and those around me.Not only am I not in chains, even ones I am not aware of, but no chain exists which can hold "me' to it, because I can... [More]
Comment icon #76 Posted by Hartmut on 8 April, 2014, 5:37
Although (too) many think they do, No One knows what Angels really looks like. My best GUESS is that they come in ALL shapes and sizes. Some may even walk about in human form (or not). :-)
Comment icon #77 Posted by Frank Merton on 8 April, 2014, 5:46
I suppose there are angels walking unnoticed among us, as well as wizards and demons and witches and Arcturans and whatever. Line everyone up and make them produce identification.
Comment icon #78 Posted by WierdHalfling on 8 April, 2014, 6:15
We all take turns at being both Angel and Demon but its mostly the Angelic jobs that get the kudos these days but nah, I dont have wings....
Comment icon #79 Posted by Calibeliever on 8 April, 2014, 16:50
Old Testament says that they can pass as ordinary men, but more handsome, and they might shimmer.I am going by memory on the OT part. Dude... noooooooo
Comment icon #80 Posted by ambelamba on 8 April, 2014, 18:22
Probably just as inflammatory as the debate about Enterprise vs. Star Destroyer...

Man spontaneously combusts on London street
12-15-2017
Police are appealing for information after a pensioner inexplicably burst in to flames in broad daylight.
Undersea Internet cables 'at risk of attack'
12-15-2017
The head of Britain's armed forces has warned that an attack on undersea cables could be 'catastrophic'.
NASA finds entire solar system like our own
12-14-2017
The space agency has made an important new exoplanet discovery using a Google artificial intelligence.
Greenland shark thought to be 512 years old
12-14-2017
Marine biologists have identified what could potentially be the world's oldest living vertebrate.
Einstein's brain
Posted 12-13-2017 | 0 comments
After he died, legendary physicist Albert Einstein's brain was preserved for study.

Is happiness contagious ?
Posted 12-12-2017 | 0 comments
Is it possible to become happy by hanging out with other people who are happy ?

Megalodon - the largest shark in history
Posted 12-11-2017 | 0 comments
A look at Megalodon - a truly monstrous creature that once roamed Eath's oceans.

Pizza night - in space
Posted 12-8-2017 | 0 comments
ISS astronauts try their hand at putting together pizzas high up in orbit around the Earth.

Pelican invasion
Posted 12-7-2017 | 0 comments
This curious pelican decided to invade the director's tent during a BBC film shoot.

Mysterious Headlights
12-10-2017 | Morgan County, Alabama

Possibly a child ghost
12-10-2017 | Edgewater, Maryland

True story about black-eyed kids
12-10-2017 | Portland oregon

Alien or paranormal encounter ?
12-10-2017 | United States

Ouija board experience
12-10-2017 | Ohio

Strange occurrences
11-15-2017 | Fife

Mysterious music box song
11-15-2017 | U.S.A

Haunted military house
10-23-2017 | New Zealand

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom