Monday, January 23, 2017

Senior clergyman: 'angels have no wings'

Posted on Saturday, 21 December, 2013 | Comment icon 80 comments

A statue of an angel in a cemetery. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Brosen
A Catholic 'angelologist' has contested the traditional depiction of angels as winged cherubs.
Father Renzo Lavatori, a senior clergyman who is an expert on the subject of angels, believes that although these spiritual beings are once again culturally relevant, the way in which they are depicted in stories and pictures is all wrong. He contends that angels are not physical beings as tradition suggests but are instead entities comprised almost entirely of light.

"I think there is a re-discovery of angels in Christianity," he said. "You do not see angels so much as feel their presence - they are a bit like sunlight that refracts on you through a crystal vase."

Angels have persisted in stories and belief systems for more than 3,000 years with their name "angelos" meaning "messenger" in ancient Greek. Having no definitive shape or form, artists have come up with many different depictions of angelic beings over the centuries including the traditional image of a winged person with a halo and harp.

Despite the rising interest in angels however it seems that a lot of focus still lies in the areas of demons and demonology. "There is a lot more interference from diabolical forces," said Father Lavatori. "That is why you see queues of people outside the exorcists' offices in churches. Pope Francis talks more about the devil than about angels and I think rightly so. But it's still early, he will get round to the angels too."

Source: Sky News | Comments (80)

Tags: Angels

Comment icon #71 Posted by m namasivayam on 11 January, 2014, 9:50
i visualize this during meditation. is it angel with wings?
Comment icon #72 Posted by davros of skaro on 11 January, 2014, 13:42
That is sad. Life of any sort is better than the alternative, because with life there is always, hope and there are always choices and alternatives. From memory, non life was dead boring. While alive I have never had a moments boredom. I want full disclosure, and I know I will not get it here except for ramblings of the delusional.
Comment icon #73 Posted by Mr Walker on 12 January, 2014, 2:09
I want full disclosure, and I know I will not get it here except for ramblings of the delusional. There is no such thing as full disclosure, or other absolutes, in the human world because of who and what we are as cognitive beings. Most of our reality exists within our mind as well as outside of it. Every person lives within the same world/reality, yet makes of it very different outcomes for them selves. As my mother pointed out to me when I was a few years old, we can chose the lenses through which we perceive and interpret the reality around us; and hence grief and joy are both possible choi... [More]
Comment icon #74 Posted by davros of skaro on 12 January, 2014, 9:42
There is no such thing as full disclosure, or other absolutes, in the human world because of who and what we are as cognitive beings. Most of our reality exists within our mind as well as outside of it. Every person lives within the same world/reality, yet makes of it very different outcomes for them selves. As my mother pointed out to me when I was a few years old, we can chose the lenses through which we perceive and interpret the reality around us; and hence grief and joy are both possible choices to a person from one single event in their life, such as the death of a loved one, or the loss... [More]
Comment icon #75 Posted by Mr Walker on 13 January, 2014, 22:51
At first a thick chain is needed to keep a mighty Elephant, then after some years only a rope is needed. You want to run back to the Yoke, and be greatfull then that's on you. A person who accurately knows/understands them self, their universe, and their connection to that universe, is as free as any human can be. I have absolutely no constraints upon myself, except those I place on my self because of who I chose to be and how I choose to relate to my world and those around me.Not only am I not in chains, even ones I am not aware of, but no chain exists which can hold "me' to it, because I can... [More]
Comment icon #76 Posted by Hartmut on 8 April, 2014, 5:37
Although (too) many think they do, No One knows what Angels really looks like. My best GUESS is that they come in ALL shapes and sizes. Some may even walk about in human form (or not). :-)
Comment icon #77 Posted by Frank Merton on 8 April, 2014, 5:46
I suppose there are angels walking unnoticed among us, as well as wizards and demons and witches and Arcturans and whatever. Line everyone up and make them produce identification.
Comment icon #78 Posted by WierdHalfling on 8 April, 2014, 6:15
We all take turns at being both Angel and Demon but its mostly the Angelic jobs that get the kudos these days but nah, I dont have wings....
Comment icon #79 Posted by Calibeliever on 8 April, 2014, 16:50
Old Testament says that they can pass as ordinary men, but more handsome, and they might shimmer.I am going by memory on the OT part. Dude... noooooooo
Comment icon #80 Posted by ambelamba on 8 April, 2014, 18:22
Probably just as inflammatory as the debate about Enterprise vs. Star Destroyer...

New clue emerges in DB Cooper hijacking case
1-22-2017
An independent investigation in to the long-running mystery has managed to dig up an important new clue.
Did humans wipe out Australia's megafauna ?
1-22-2017
A new study has cast doubt on the idea that climate change wiped out most of Australia's huge beasts.
Some of us are able to 'hear' flashes of light
1-21-2017
Scientists have identified a form of synaesthesia that may affect more than one fifth of the population.
Fresh doubts cast on Tunguska impact theory
1-21-2017
Russian scientists have found evidence to suggest that the impact crater may predate the event itself.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
Coconut octopus vs crab
Posted 1-22-2017 | 1 comment
A coconut octopus lies in wait for an unsuspecting meal in this Smithsonian Channel clip.

What would happen if you fell 365 meters ?
Posted 1-21-2017 | 2 comments
A look at what would happen if you were unfortunate enough to fall from a great height.

A colorful 'landing' on Pluto
Posted 1-20-2017 | 0 comments
This NASA movie explores would it might be like to land on the dwarf planet Pluto.

The future of warfare
Posted 1-19-2017 | 2 comments
Drone armies and laser cannons may become increasingly common in the near future.

Kowloon Walled City
Posted 1-18-2017 | 1 comment
A look at what was once the most densely populated area on the surface of the planet.

Phantom vehicle
1-6-2017 | Ramer, United States

True ghost stories
1-6-2017 | Southern California

Floating tiles
1-6-2017 | Chewelah, Washington

A haunting in Northern California
12-28-2016 | Northern California

Strange creature in South Africa
12-28-2016 | South Africa, Hoedspruit.

A 15-year-old predicted my future!
12-21-2016 | Katherine, Australia

The haunted pond
12-21-2016 | Essex, Ontario, Canada

The haunted hospital
12-28-2016 | New Plymouth, New Zealand

Loud crash in the night
12-17-2016 | Pennsylvania

Mysterious woman in a blue dress
12-17-2016 | Northern Ireland