Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Hubble finds clouds on nearby alien worlds

Posted on Friday, 3 January, 2014 | Comment icon 10 comments

The teams identified cloud cover on two nearby worlds. Image Credit: NASA
Astronomers using the Hubble telescope have picked up signs of cloud cover on two extrasolar planets.
The planets, one reminiscent of Neptune and the other a super-Earth, were examined as part of two separate studies using the Hubble Space Telescope to learn more about their atmospheres.

For the Neptune-like world which was located 36 light years away, researchers found that they were unable to pick up any chemical fingerprints in the planet's atmosphere at all. "Either this planet has a high cloud layer obscuring the view, or it has a cloud-free atmosphere that is deficient in hydrogen, which would make it very unlike Neptune," said researcher Heather Knutson.

"We really pushed the limits of what is possible with Hubble to make this measurement - our work devoted more Hubble time to a single exoplanet than ever before," said team leader Laura Kreidberg. "This advance lays the foundation for characterizing other Earths with similar techniques."

Source: Fox News | Comments (10)

Tags: Hubble, Extrasolar Planet

Comment icon #1 Posted by DemonicCupcake on 3 January, 2014, 17:17
"In the second study, researchers investigating a super-Earth world located 40 light years away found even clearer signs of cloud cover in its atmosphere. Using high-precision instruments they were able to rule out the presence of water vapor, methane, nitrogen, carbon monoxide, or carbon dioxide." Doesn't that make it NOT like Earth, or...?
Comment icon #2 Posted by Duchess Gummybuns on 3 January, 2014, 17:35
Comment icon #3 Posted by moonshadow60 on 3 January, 2014, 18:13
This is when I find science to be totally worthwhile. I don't know why; at that distance I will never set foot on either planet, but still it is interesting to know that someday human kind may, and they will know prior that when it rains there, if it rains, what the rain is made of.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Taun on 3 January, 2014, 18:15
Perhaps they are more "Venus like" than "Earth Like"...
Comment icon #5 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 3 January, 2014, 18:25
Doesn't that make it NOT like Earth, or...? Nowhere in the article does it say that these planets ARE Earth-like. What it does say is this: The researchers described their work as an important milestone on the road to characterizing potentially habitable, Earth-like worlds beyond the solar system.(My emphasis)In fact is specifically states that these are NOT Earth like: The two planets fall in the middle range in mass, between smaller, rockier planets such as Earth and larger gas giants such as Jupiter. GJ 436b is categorized as a "warm Neptune" because it is much closer to its star than frigi... [More]
Comment icon #6 Posted by alfonso on 3 January, 2014, 20:46
this super earth sounds most intresting , would that mean if theres life of some sort also on it might that be supersize too? like giants lol
Comment icon #7 Posted by Harte on 3 January, 2014, 21:17
Clouds. Uh... I can't think of a cloud pun... Ah, I guess I'm not as high flying as I used to be. I TRIED. AT LEAST I TRIED. Don't know why There's no sun up in the sky Stormy alien weather. 'Bout good as it gets. Anyone else? Harte
Comment icon #8 Posted by Adirondack-Bob on 4 January, 2014, 3:45
Comment icon #9 Posted by coolguy on 4 January, 2014, 5:53
That's cool the Hubble found clouds,
Comment icon #10 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 7 January, 2014, 12:34
"nearby worlds" and "36 light years away" don't seem like they belong to the same subject. In a galaxy that is more than 100,000 light years across, 36 ly is practically next door.

Porpoise unearthed in medieval graveyard
9-20-2017
A recent archaeological dig near Guernsey has yielded something rather unexpected - a porpoise skeleton.
Mystery surrounds flushed money in Geneva
9-19-2017
An unknown individual has been flushing thousands of euros down the toilet and nobody knows why.
'Octopus city' found off coast of Australia
9-19-2017
Members of the gloomy octopus species have created their own underwater settlement dubbed 'Octlantis'.
60 ancient shipwrecks found in the Black Sea
9-19-2017
Marine archaeologists unexpectedly stumbled across a goldmine of shipwrecks during a recent expedition.
Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

I'll eat my hat
Posted 9-18-2017 | 0 comments
Where did the strange phrase 'I'll eat my hat' actually come from ?

Meet the microscopic life in your home
Posted 9-17-2017 | 0 comments
Think your home is free of meddlesome microscopic life forms ? Think again.

Are rats friends or foes ?
Posted 9-16-2017 | 3 comments
Rats are certainly not humanity's favorite animals, but just how bad are they really ?

How not to land a rocket booster
Posted 9-15-2017 | 0 comments
It took SpaceX more than a few tries to master the complicated landing process.

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY