Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Neanderthal genetic code lives on in humans

Posted on Thursday, 30 January, 2014 | Comment icon 15 comments

Humand and Neanderthals share many similarities. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Tim Evanson
Researchers have discovered that we possess up to one fifth of our prehistoric cousins' genetic code.
In an effort to learn more about the genetic similarities between Neanderthals and modern humans, Benjamin Vernot and Joshua Akey at the University of Washington sequenced the genomes of 600 people and then used a computer to identify gene variants that seemed to be Neanderthal in origin.

Their remarkable results suggested that the combined total amount of Neanderthal DNA present in modern humans was as high as 20%.

"Although Neanderthals are extinct, there's still a lot of genetic information about them floating around, in our own genomes," said Vernot. "It's not necessarily useful in that it will cure cancer, but it helps us to learn about our history."

It is believed that the genetic similarities are the result of encounters between Neanderthals and modern humans up to 65,000 years ago. Despite interbreeding being rare, some of the benefits obtained from the Neanderthal genes would have been sufficient enough to ensure their perseverance in humans all the way up to the present day.

The discovery is particularly helpful to scientists as it means it is possible to study a significant percentage of the Neanderthal genome without having to extract it from ancient fossils.

Source: The Guardian | Comments (15)

Tags: Neanderthal

Comment icon #6 Posted by avs76 on 31 January, 2014, 13:53
I read an article recently about a Rugby League player (Dave Taylor) here in Australia who has torn a calf muscle. What's interesting is apparently the "injured muscle only exists in the smallest percentage of the world's population. It is apparently a genetic throwback to our ancestry - a muscle used for climbing trees - and is super rare." http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/gold-coast-titans-giant-dave-taylor-has-dash-of-caveman-genetics/story-fniabjcr-1226810843014
Comment icon #7 Posted by moonshadow60 on 31 January, 2014, 19:03
Someone with the name of gOOdfella should know better than to be rude to an old lady who simply asked an honest question. That just isn't necessary.
Comment icon #8 Posted by PhoenixBird88 on 1 February, 2014, 4:56
Comment icon #9 Posted by Helen of Annoy on 1 February, 2014, 20:57
But, if we possess up to 1/5 of their genetic code passed down from them to us, why are they our cousins, not our ancestors? Because Science refused the idea of more than one modern human ancestor race. (Itís the influence of religion actually, god created the man, not to digress too far, so religious scientists stuck to that intentionally and non-religious ones out of set of reasons, ranging from conformism to stupidity.) DNA changed that dogma, but the terminology, apparently, still hasnít changed.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Helen of Annoy on 1 February, 2014, 21:03
My uncle was recently in a Nat Geo experiment and had his genome sequenced. I am 2% Neanderthal on my mothers side. Id like to get mine sequenced as well, my Dads lineage is quite a mystery. I grew up being told my Mom was German and Irish, Dad- Mexican and Spanish. Yet, come to find out from the results of the study my moms side is primarily(43%) Asian. It may sound as stupid question, but what they meant with Asian? Asian-Asian, or Slavic? (Iím asking because itís no wonder to bring Slavic genes from Europe, and thereís bizarre old belief about Asian origin of Slavs, while truly Asian genes ... [More]
Comment icon #11 Posted by JGirl on 1 February, 2014, 21:15
Also you are abusing the use of the "comma".
Comment icon #12 Posted by TheSpoonyOne on 5 February, 2014, 0:18
My uncle was recently in a Nat Geo experiment and had his genome sequenced. I am 2% Neanderthal on my mothers side. Id like to get mine sequenced as well, my Dads lineage is quite a mystery. I grew up being told my Mom was German and Irish, Dad- Mexican and Spanish. Yet, come to find out from the results of the study my moms side is primarily(43%) Asian. That seems very strange, 43% Asian, as in East Asian I'm assuming, and you couldn't see this in her phenotype?
Comment icon #13 Posted by keninsc on 6 February, 2014, 9:18
I don't know why that so surprising we carry codes from all the way back to the earliest known primates from which we've defended. We don't just drop those codes.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Rlyeh on 6 February, 2014, 12:03
I was reading a similar article that blames 'certain' disease states on our Neanderthal genes!! Are you a hairy diabetic who smokes and suffers from stomach cramps? Your NEANDERTHAL ancestry is to blame http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2rsZJaQnp Smoking is caused by Neanderthals?
Comment icon #15 Posted by Lilly on 10 February, 2014, 12:24
I think it's time to review a couple of UM rules: 5a. Personal attacks: Attack the point being presented, not the person who is making it. 5b. Spelling and grammar: Do not point out mistakes or criticise other members on their spelling, grammar or punctuation.

Mammoth fossils found under street in Mexico
6-28-2016
The well-preserved 14,000-year-old remains were unearthed by utility workers in the city of Tultepec.
Human magnetic 'sixth sense' discovered
6-27-2016
A researcher in the United States believes he has found evidence of a magnetic 'sixth sense' in humans.
'Dancing mania' mystery endures 600 years on
6-27-2016
A peculiar affliction once left hundreds of people dancing uncontrollably in the streets of Europe.
Is Elvis Presley alive ? New footage surfaces
6-27-2016
A video of a familiar looking groundsman at Graceland has sparked rumors that the King is not dead.
How MythBusters saved a woman's life
Posted 6-27-2016 | 2 comments
A woman whose car careened in to a lake was saved by an episode of MythBusters.

Real-life dire wolves
Posted 6-26-2016 | 3 comments
The huge wolves in Game of Thrones actually existed 300,000 years ago.

Teaching a gorilla to talk
Posted 6-25-2016 | 8 comments
A western lowland gorilla named Koko was taught from an early age to use sign language.

Man puts 496 straws in his mouth
Posted 6-24-2016 | 3 comments
Guinness Rishi manages to cram 496 drinking straws in to his mouth at the same time.

Space is trying to kill us
Posted 6-23-2016 | 1 comment
How do astronauts survive in space and what happens after they return to Earth ?

Not in our jurisdiction

Christmas Day haunting
4-6-2016 | London, UK

The funeral director
3-30-2016 | Hebburn, England

A strange sighting in Spain
3-30-2016 | Albatera, Spain

Dust patterns on basement floor
3-27-2016 | Smithville, Texas