Friday, September 30, 2016

Neanderthal genetic code lives on in humans

Posted on Thursday, 30 January, 2014 | Comment icon 15 comments

Humand and Neanderthals share many similarities. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Tim Evanson
Researchers have discovered that we possess up to one fifth of our prehistoric cousins' genetic code.
In an effort to learn more about the genetic similarities between Neanderthals and modern humans, Benjamin Vernot and Joshua Akey at the University of Washington sequenced the genomes of 600 people and then used a computer to identify gene variants that seemed to be Neanderthal in origin.

Their remarkable results suggested that the combined total amount of Neanderthal DNA present in modern humans was as high as 20%.

"Although Neanderthals are extinct, there's still a lot of genetic information about them floating around, in our own genomes," said Vernot. "It's not necessarily useful in that it will cure cancer, but it helps us to learn about our history."

It is believed that the genetic similarities are the result of encounters between Neanderthals and modern humans up to 65,000 years ago. Despite interbreeding being rare, some of the benefits obtained from the Neanderthal genes would have been sufficient enough to ensure their perseverance in humans all the way up to the present day.

The discovery is particularly helpful to scientists as it means it is possible to study a significant percentage of the Neanderthal genome without having to extract it from ancient fossils.

Source: The Guardian | Comments (15)

Tags: Neanderthal

Comment icon #6 Posted by avs76 on 31 January, 2014, 13:53
I read an article recently about a Rugby League player (Dave Taylor) here in Australia who has torn a calf muscle. What's interesting is apparently the "injured muscle only exists in the smallest percentage of the world's population. It is apparently a genetic throwback to our ancestry - a muscle used for climbing trees - and is super rare." http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/gold-coast-titans-giant-dave-taylor-has-dash-of-caveman-genetics/story-fniabjcr-1226810843014
Comment icon #7 Posted by moonshadow60 on 31 January, 2014, 19:03
Someone with the name of gOOdfella should know better than to be rude to an old lady who simply asked an honest question. That just isn't necessary.
Comment icon #8 Posted by PhoenixBird88 on 1 February, 2014, 4:56
Comment icon #9 Posted by Helen of Annoy on 1 February, 2014, 20:57
But, if we possess up to 1/5 of their genetic code passed down from them to us, why are they our cousins, not our ancestors? Because Science refused the idea of more than one modern human ancestor race. (Itís the influence of religion actually, god created the man, not to digress too far, so religious scientists stuck to that intentionally and non-religious ones out of set of reasons, ranging from conformism to stupidity.) DNA changed that dogma, but the terminology, apparently, still hasnít changed.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Helen of Annoy on 1 February, 2014, 21:03
My uncle was recently in a Nat Geo experiment and had his genome sequenced. I am 2% Neanderthal on my mothers side. Id like to get mine sequenced as well, my Dads lineage is quite a mystery. I grew up being told my Mom was German and Irish, Dad- Mexican and Spanish. Yet, come to find out from the results of the study my moms side is primarily(43%) Asian. It may sound as stupid question, but what they meant with Asian? Asian-Asian, or Slavic? (Iím asking because itís no wonder to bring Slavic genes from Europe, and thereís bizarre old belief about Asian origin of Slavs, while truly Asian genes ... [More]
Comment icon #11 Posted by JGirl on 1 February, 2014, 21:15
Also you are abusing the use of the "comma".
Comment icon #12 Posted by TheSpoonyOne on 5 February, 2014, 0:18
My uncle was recently in a Nat Geo experiment and had his genome sequenced. I am 2% Neanderthal on my mothers side. Id like to get mine sequenced as well, my Dads lineage is quite a mystery. I grew up being told my Mom was German and Irish, Dad- Mexican and Spanish. Yet, come to find out from the results of the study my moms side is primarily(43%) Asian. That seems very strange, 43% Asian, as in East Asian I'm assuming, and you couldn't see this in her phenotype?
Comment icon #13 Posted by keninsc on 6 February, 2014, 9:18
I don't know why that so surprising we carry codes from all the way back to the earliest known primates from which we've defended. We don't just drop those codes.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Rlyeh on 6 February, 2014, 12:03
I was reading a similar article that blames 'certain' disease states on our Neanderthal genes!! Are you a hairy diabetic who smokes and suffers from stomach cramps? Your NEANDERTHAL ancestry is to blame http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2rsZJaQnp Smoking is caused by Neanderthals?
Comment icon #15 Posted by Lilly on 10 February, 2014, 12:24
I think it's time to review a couple of UM rules: 5a. Personal attacks: Attack the point being presented, not the person who is making it. 5b. Spelling and grammar: Do not point out mistakes or criticise other members on their spelling, grammar or punctuation.

Tech giants team up to form AI ethics board
9-29-2016
Several major technology companies have joined forces in an effort to prevent an AI-fuelled apocalypse.
Catholic Church: 'exorcists in urgent demand'
9-29-2016
A rise in occult and superstitious practices has allegedly brought about a major exorcist shortage.
'Bigfoot' picked up on live eagle nest webcam
9-29-2016
A live feed from an eagle's nest in Michigan has recorded a mysterious figure wandering around below.
SpaceX plans to send humans to Mars by 2022
9-28-2016
Elon Musk has outlined his extraordinarily ambitious plans to make mankind an interplanetary species.
World's largest rock band
Posted 9-29-2016 | 3 comments
This Chinese rock band has 953 members including 349 singers and 154 guitarists.

Alaska's bubbling lakes
Posted 9-28-2016 | 1 comment
Many lakes in the boreal regions of Alaska are emitting copious amounts of methane gas.

Elephants unite
Posted 9-27-2016 | 0 comments
Two elephant families decide to join together on the plains of Africa in this BBC wildlife clip.

Why do we get pruney fingers in water ?
Posted 9-26-2016 | 2 comments
Why do your fingers turn in to prunes when you stay in the bath too long ?

Crushing shoes
Posted 9-25-2016 | 0 comments
What happens when you crush shoes in a high-powered hydraulic press ?

Black magic
9-27-2016 | Mineral Wells, Texas

Crying mother
9-27-2016 | Centrol Mexico

Red-faced monster
9-14-2016 | Lox Florida

Locked door
9-14-2016 | Ho Chi Minh city/Vietnam

The visit
9-9-2016 | West Palm Beach, Fl

Translucent silent UFO
9-9-2016 | Brisbane/Australia

Sleep paralysis and strange activity
9-1-2016 | Tarpon Springs, FL