Sunday, December 21, 2014   |   4,650 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

How do we recognize an alien intelligence ?

Posted on Friday, 31 January, 2014 | Comment icon 209 comments

Intelligent alien life might not be what we expect. Image Credit: Henry Kaiser / NSF

A new project is aiming to have us reassess exactly what an intelligent alien life form might be like.

Most people think of an intelligent extraterrestrial as primarily human-like, a bipedal entity with two arms, two legs and a face not dissimilar to our own. The reality however is that our limited knowledge of how life can develop elsewhere in the universe may be blinding us to possible forms of intelligent life that are completely unlike anything we've ever seen before.

"I suspect there could be life and intelligence out there in forms we canít conceive," said astronomer and astrophysicist Lord Martin Rees. "Just as a chimpanzee canít understand quantum theory, it could be there as aspects of reality that are beyond the capacity of our brains."

In an effort to further explore this idea, a new paper is soon to be published detailing an exercise called COMPLEX ( COmplexity of Markers for Profiling Life in EXobiology ), which compares various non-human intelligences with one another.

"The goal of COMPLEX would be to prepare ourselves for assessing other species if we find life in space," said author Denise Herzing.

"I think someday we may be able to just see ourselves as one of many species who has evolved a few specialties, like vocal language and manipulation of things, instead of looking at ourselves as the only species that are smart, because we think having language is smart."

Source: Daily Galaxy | Comments (209)

Tags: Alien, Extraterrestrial

Comment icon #200 Posted by The Id3al Experience on 9 April, 2014, 20:27
Really? Werid, Then do you know why is cost 6 times as much to operate Americas Army? Better equipment? Better Job benefits?
Comment icon #201 Posted by The Id3al Experience on 9 April, 2014, 20:31
If you have read all my previous post, you will have understood that I am not well educated in this area, Thus I do not make claims, I merely offer my view, which is is mostly incorect, because, well, im uneducated in this area. Funny how that works Well a power hungry country, is a power hungry country. we strewed no matter whos the biggest.
Comment icon #202 Posted by Sweetpumper on 9 April, 2014, 20:32
You don't actually think they spend $20,000 on a hammer, $30,000 on a toilet seat, do you?
Comment icon #203 Posted by The Id3al Experience on 9 April, 2014, 20:58
No of course not. I do not understand why people are thinking I am an idiot When I am clearing telling you people I do not know this area. Thus my view are purely uneducated. I am not a igorance C*** that can not admit my knowledge Gaps. PLEASE PEOPLE EDUCATE ME!!!!!!!!! I just feel a difference of 500 Billion a Big leap. I have no idea how much things cost in this area. So what it looks like could very well be not what it is. So for good equipment and good benefits and welbeing to the American army, it costs and extra 500 billion, is this what we are s... [More]
Comment icon #204 Posted by Calibeliever on 10 April, 2014, 14:36
John Lennon, smart man, shot in the back, very sad.
Comment icon #205 Posted by scowl on 10 April, 2014, 17:04
This is pretty far off the topic we were discussing which was already off the topic of the thread. You might want to ask someplace else.
Comment icon #206 Posted by spacecowboy342 on 11 April, 2014, 0:31
The US spends more on the military than the next ten countries on the planet
Comment icon #207 Posted by WierdHalfling on 11 April, 2014, 0:38
Does it mean then that they an alien intelligence .... presumably requiring more to sustain than a non alien one...or is it just that there are a lot of misappropriated items that need to be constantly replaced?
Comment icon #208 Posted by DONTEATUS on 11 April, 2014, 2:14
Just wait until Skynet Unleashes there HK-Aerials ! Were toast then !
Comment icon #209 Posted by Asadora on 16 April, 2014, 22:15
*punch!* 'Welcome to Earth!'

A Connecticut haunting
12-15-2014 | New Milford, Connecticut

Luminous UFO in Scotland.
12-2-2014 | Black Loch, Limerigg, Scotland