Friday, September 22, 2017

How do we recognize an alien intelligence ?

Posted on Friday, 31 January, 2014 | Comment icon 209 comments

Intelligent alien life might not be what we expect. Image Credit: Henry Kaiser / NSF
A new project is aiming to have us reassess exactly what an intelligent alien life form might be like.
Most people think of an intelligent extraterrestrial as primarily human-like, a bipedal entity with two arms, two legs and a face not dissimilar to our own. The reality however is that our limited knowledge of how life can develop elsewhere in the universe may be blinding us to possible forms of intelligent life that are completely unlike anything we've ever seen before.

"I suspect there could be life and intelligence out there in forms we canít conceive," said astronomer and astrophysicist Lord Martin Rees. "Just as a chimpanzee canít understand quantum theory, it could be there as aspects of reality that are beyond the capacity of our brains."

In an effort to further explore this idea, a new paper is soon to be published detailing an exercise called COMPLEX ( COmplexity of Markers for Profiling Life in EXobiology ), which compares various non-human intelligences with one another.

"The goal of COMPLEX would be to prepare ourselves for assessing other species if we find life in space," said author Denise Herzing.

"I think someday we may be able to just see ourselves as one of many species who has evolved a few specialties, like vocal language and manipulation of things, instead of looking at ourselves as the only species that are smart, because we think having language is smart."

Source: Daily Galaxy | Comments (209)

Tags: Alien, Extraterrestrial

Comment icon #200 Posted by The Id3al Experience on 9 April, 2014, 20:27
The United States army is half the size of China's and about the size of India's army, North Korea's army and Russia's army. Really? Werid, Then do you know why is cost 6 times as much to operate Americas Army? Better equipment? Better Job benefits?
Comment icon #201 Posted by The Id3al Experience on 9 April, 2014, 20:31
Even though your wildly inaccurate claim is wild, and inaccurate, I'll answer: YES. (see scowl's post above though--at least his numbers are more based in reality) Would you rather have China, or Russia with an army that large? Would you rather have them the most powerful on the planet? That would be grim if it were so. If you have read all my previous post, you will have understood that I am not well educated in this area, Thus I do not make claims, I merely offer my view, which is is mostly incorect, because, well, im uneducated in this area. Funny how that works Well a power hungry country,... [More]
Comment icon #202 Posted by Sweetpumper on 9 April, 2014, 20:32
Really? Werid, Then do you know why is cost 6 times as much to operate Americas Army? Better equipment? Better Job benefits? You don't actually think they spend $20,000 on a hammer, $30,000 on a toilet seat, do you?
Comment icon #203 Posted by The Id3al Experience on 9 April, 2014, 20:58
You don't actually think they spend $20,000 on a hammer, $30,000 on a toilet seat, do you? No of course not. I do not understand why people are thinking I am an idiot When I am clearing telling you people I do not know this area. Thus my view are purely uneducated. I am not a igorance C*** that can not admit my knowledge Gaps. PLEASE PEOPLE EDUCATE ME!!!!!!!!! I just feel a difference of 500 Billion a Big leap. I have no idea how much things cost in this area. So what it looks like could very well be not what it is. So for good equipment and good benefits and welbeing to the American army, it ... [More]
Comment icon #204 Posted by Calibeliever on 10 April, 2014, 14:36
You don't actually think they spend $20,000 on a hammer, $30,000 on a toilet seat, do you? John Lennon, smart man, shot in the back, very sad.
Comment icon #205 Posted by scowl on 10 April, 2014, 17:04
So for good equipment and good benefits and welbeing to the American army, it costs and extra 500 billion, is this what we are saying? Please correct me! This is pretty far off the topic we were discussing which was already off the topic of the thread. You might want to ask someplace else.
Comment icon #206 Posted by spacecowboy342 on 11 April, 2014, 0:31
The United States army is half the size of China's and about the size of India's army, North Korea's army and Russia's army. The US spends more on the military than the next ten countries on the planet
Comment icon #207 Posted by WierdHalfling on 11 April, 2014, 0:38
Does it mean then that they an alien intelligence .... presumably requiring more to sustain than a non alien one...or is it just that there are a lot of misappropriated items that need to be constantly replaced?
Comment icon #208 Posted by DONTEATUS on 11 April, 2014, 2:14
Just wait until Skynet Unleashes there HK-Aerials ! Were toast then !
Comment icon #209 Posted by Asadora on 16 April, 2014, 22:15
John Lennon, smart man, shot in the back, very sad. *punch!* 'Welcome to Earth!'

100 people could live on the Moon by 2040
9-22-2017
ESA's ambitious 'Moon village' plan could see humans living on the lunar surface within 25 years.
Man who prevented World War 3 dies aged 77
9-22-2017
Former Soviet military officer Stanislav Petrov made a decision in 1983 that may have saved the world.
Doomsayers claim the world will end tomorrow
9-22-2017
Rumors of another apocalyptic collision with the mythical planet Nibiru have been circulating the Internet.
Plants may need to sleep, just like we do
9-21-2017
A new study has suggested that sleep may actually be fundamental to all life, not just to animals.
Exploring Antarctica's hidden depths
Posted 9-22-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists investigate some of the wildlife hidden beneath the Antarctic ice.

Science-fiction spacesuits
Posted 9-21-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage investigates a number of intricately detailed spacesuits used in movies.

Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

I'll eat my hat
Posted 9-18-2017 | 0 comments
Where did the strange phrase 'I'll eat my hat' actually come from ?

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY