Sunday, September 24, 2017

New 'Titan' dinosaur discovered in China

Posted on Sunday, 2 February, 2014 | Comment icon 8 comments

Titanosaurs were some of the largest land animals to ever live. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Nobu Tamura
Paleontologists have pieced together a new species of sauropod dinosaur from its fossil remains.
Named Yongjinglong datangi, the new dinosaur lived more than 100 million years ago during the Cretaceous period. Despite only being a juvenile, the specimen measures a staggering 60ft in length and belongs to a group of dinosaurs known as the Titanosaurs.

The find is particularly interesting because large sauropod dinosaurs were thought to have mostly disappeared at the end of the Jurassic era, a concept that has become increasingly unlikely thanks to the discovery of specimens dating back to the early Cretaceous.

"Based on U.S. fossils, it was once thought that sauropods dominated herbivorous dinosaur fauna during the Jurassic but became almost extinct during the Cretaceous," said professor Peter Dodson.

"We now realize that, in other parts of the world, particularly in South America and Asia, sauropod dinosaurs continued to flourish in the Cretaceous, so the thought that they were minor components is no longer a tenable view."

Source: Heritage Daily | Comments (8)

Tags: Sauropod, Dinosaur

Comment icon #1 Posted by pallidin on 2 February, 2014, 22:40
"Thump, thump, thump, thump" Dang, I'm glad I wasn't alive during that era...
Comment icon #2 Posted by PersonFromPorlock on 2 February, 2014, 22:45
Once more, China leaps ahead of America in the 'humongous dinosaur' race....
Comment icon #3 Posted by ancient astronaut on 3 February, 2014, 2:50
I wonder what else lies beneath the Earth? I guess only time will tell.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Eldorado on 3 February, 2014, 4:15
"Thump, thump, thump, thump" Dang, I'm glad I wasn't alive during that era... I'm with you on that. Imagine the 'dump, dump, dump, dump' and it's you who has to clean it! Of course, if Raquel Welch was running around in a fur bikini... I'd put up with it.
Comment icon #5 Posted by coolguy on 3 February, 2014, 5:41
This thing is huge.i bet one day they will find a bigger one
Comment icon #6 Posted by zebra99 on 3 February, 2014, 9:56
I'm with you on that. Imagine the 'dump, dump, dump, dump' and it's you who has to clean it! Of course, if Raquel Welch was running around in a fur bikini... I'd put up with it. The first words of cave woman..."You killed it..you cook it!"
Comment icon #7 Posted by Artaxerxes on 4 February, 2014, 22:28
Comment icon #8 Posted by SameerPrehistorica on 5 February, 2014, 2:51
It was funny to read this --------- 'staggering 60ft in length'. 60 ft is nothing when it comes to Sauropods.Sometimes when i read news about some giant Sauropod discovered,mostly its size is small like 40 to 60 ft in length.I wonder why they call that as Giant.Anyway, but this new one they mentioned as juvenile being 50 to 60 ft,so the Adults are big.That is fine. Taste like chicken! I bet if they were alive today we'd be farming them and they'd be cheap and delicious! After all birds are just Avian dinosaurs! If they were alive today,then Human beings are the Chickens.

Neanderthal brains developed slower than ours
9-24-2017
The skeleton of a young Neanderthal has revealed that our brains did not develop at the same rate.
Plant-eating dinosaurs sometimes ate crabs
9-24-2017
Fossilized droppings have revealed that some herbivorous dinosaurs occasionally snacked on seafood.
Pyramid construction mystery has been solved
9-24-2017
New evidence has shed light on exactly how huge stone blocks were transported to the site of the pyramids.
Saudi Arabian textbook shows Yoda at the UN
9-23-2017
A doctored image of Yoda at the United Nations has somehow ended up in a history textbook.
Will robots take over all our jobs ?
Posted 9-23-2017 | 1 comment
As computers become increasingly sophisticated, will there be any jobs left for us ?

Exploring Antarctica's hidden depths
Posted 9-22-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists investigate some of the wildlife hidden beneath the Antarctic ice.

Science-fiction spacesuits
Posted 9-21-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage investigates a number of intricately detailed spacesuits used in movies.

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY