Friday, July 28, 2017

New 'Titan' dinosaur discovered in China

Posted on Sunday, 2 February, 2014 | Comment icon 8 comments

Titanosaurs were some of the largest land animals to ever live. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Nobu Tamura
Paleontologists have pieced together a new species of sauropod dinosaur from its fossil remains.
Named Yongjinglong datangi, the new dinosaur lived more than 100 million years ago during the Cretaceous period. Despite only being a juvenile, the specimen measures a staggering 60ft in length and belongs to a group of dinosaurs known as the Titanosaurs.

The find is particularly interesting because large sauropod dinosaurs were thought to have mostly disappeared at the end of the Jurassic era, a concept that has become increasingly unlikely thanks to the discovery of specimens dating back to the early Cretaceous.

"Based on U.S. fossils, it was once thought that sauropods dominated herbivorous dinosaur fauna during the Jurassic but became almost extinct during the Cretaceous," said professor Peter Dodson.

"We now realize that, in other parts of the world, particularly in South America and Asia, sauropod dinosaurs continued to flourish in the Cretaceous, so the thought that they were minor components is no longer a tenable view."

Source: Heritage Daily | Comments (8)

Tags: Sauropod, Dinosaur

Comment icon #1 Posted by pallidin on 2 February, 2014, 22:40
"Thump, thump, thump, thump" Dang, I'm glad I wasn't alive during that era...
Comment icon #2 Posted by PersonFromPorlock on 2 February, 2014, 22:45
Once more, China leaps ahead of America in the 'humongous dinosaur' race....
Comment icon #3 Posted by ancient astronaut on 3 February, 2014, 2:50
I wonder what else lies beneath the Earth? I guess only time will tell.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Eldorado on 3 February, 2014, 4:15
"Thump, thump, thump, thump" Dang, I'm glad I wasn't alive during that era... I'm with you on that. Imagine the 'dump, dump, dump, dump' and it's you who has to clean it! Of course, if Raquel Welch was running around in a fur bikini... I'd put up with it.
Comment icon #5 Posted by coolguy on 3 February, 2014, 5:41
This thing is huge.i bet one day they will find a bigger one
Comment icon #6 Posted by zebra99 on 3 February, 2014, 9:56
I'm with you on that. Imagine the 'dump, dump, dump, dump' and it's you who has to clean it! Of course, if Raquel Welch was running around in a fur bikini... I'd put up with it. The first words of cave woman..."You killed it..you cook it!"
Comment icon #7 Posted by Artaxerxes on 4 February, 2014, 22:28
Comment icon #8 Posted by SameerPrehistorica on 5 February, 2014, 2:51
It was funny to read this --------- 'staggering 60ft in length'. 60 ft is nothing when it comes to Sauropods.Sometimes when i read news about some giant Sauropod discovered,mostly its size is small like 40 to 60 ft in length.I wonder why they call that as Giant.Anyway, but this new one they mentioned as juvenile being 50 to 60 ft,so the Adults are big.That is fine. Taste like chicken! I bet if they were alive today we'd be farming them and they'd be cheap and delicious! After all birds are just Avian dinosaurs! If they were alive today,then Human beings are the Chickens.

California residents report 'Chupacabra'
7-27-2017
Alleged sightings of the cryptozoological creature have sparked concerns over the safety of local pets.
Our atoms came from far across the universe
7-27-2017
A new study has revealed that half of the atoms that make up our bodies have come from beyond the galaxy.
Private firm set to land on the Moon in 2019
7-27-2017
Astrobotic is aiming to land its unmanned Peregrine lunar lander on the surface of the Moon in two years' time.
3,500-year-old lunch box found in Swiss Alps
7-26-2017
An extraordinarily well-preserved lunch box has been discovered on Switzerland's Lotschberg mountain.
Octopus goes for a walk
Posted 7-27-2017 | 4 comments
As this video shows, not all octopus' limit their exploration to the bottom of the sea.

Augmented reality
Posted 7-26-2017 | 1 comment
A look at a new technology that superimposes computer-generated images over the real world.

Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI