Friday, July 21, 2017

Texas family capture alleged 'chupacabra'

Posted on Thursday, 3 April, 2014 | Comment icon 91 comments

The creature was kept in a cage outside. Image Credit: YouTube / WMUR
Jackie Stock and her husband Arlen Parma caught a strange hairless animal at their home in Ratcliffe.
The couple encountered the creature, a dark skinned hairless dog-like animal, after Parma spotted it outside on their property in Texas. "He called me to come and look, and I said 'Bubba that looks like a baby chupacabra,'" said Stock.

Local news agencies were quick to pick up on the story with headlines suggesting that the enigmatic critter was in fact the legendary chupacabra, a carnivorous quadruped said to be responsible for a spate of farm animal deaths over the last few decades.

This isn't the first case of its kind either - there have been several reports of both dead and captured chupacabra over the years. Most of these however have turned out to be more mundane animals suffering from mange, a condition that sees their fur falling out resulting in an unusual appearance.

It is thought that the creature in this case, far from being the goat-sucking predator, could in fact be little more than a hairless raccoon or possum suffering from the condition.

Source: New York Daily News | Comments (91)

Tags: Chupacabra, Dog

Comment icon #82 Posted by Somejerkontheweb on 8 April, 2014, 0:57
It look very close to a kangaroo. Ok, it might be very close on a personal level, but it doesn't LOOK anything like the Kangaroos we have here in Australia.
Comment icon #83 Posted by Xpeople on 8 April, 2014, 1:52
Ok, it might be very close on a personal level, but it doesn't LOOK anything like the Kangaroos we have here in Australia. There are similarities between this creature and a kangaroo.
Comment icon #84 Posted by Hida Akechi on 8 April, 2014, 3:18
There are similarities between this creature and a kangaroo. This creature being a raccoon. Is that what you mean? Because raccoons and kangaroos aren't all that similar.
Comment icon #85 Posted by Xpeople on 1 May, 2014, 9:42
This creature being a raccoon. Is that what you mean? Because raccoons and kangaroos aren't all that similar. It does not look like anything in North America, especially a raccoon.
Comment icon #86 Posted by Hida Akechi on 1 May, 2014, 21:58
It does not look like anything in North America, especially a raccoon. Wrong, it looks like a raccoon, from North America. This is already debunked, no need to drag this out again. Dead horses don't need a beating, really.
Comment icon #87 Posted by Xpeople on 2 May, 2014, 22:06
Has there been any genetic work done on it?
Comment icon #88 Posted by DieChecker on 4 May, 2014, 4:50
Nope... http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/newshound/2014/04/texas-chupacabra-euthanized-no-dna-tests-planned If it is the same size. Has the same paws. The same teeth. Same eyes. Same tail length. And is only missing the hair of a Raccoon, then 100% it is a raccoon.
Comment icon #89 Posted by SpiritTraveler on 6 May, 2014, 3:39
Comment icon #90 Posted by DieChecker on 6 May, 2014, 3:59
What I think I remember hearing is that it is harder for a animal with mange to survive in the wild, so they pull in closer to human habitations to try to live off our garbage and domesticated animals.
Comment icon #91 Posted by Hida Akechi on 6 May, 2014, 13:21
Poor raccoon. Can't help but feel for the little creature. My question is: Why are we seeing so many animals with mange? I've never seen any here in Canada. I guess it doesn't mean there are none but I've always lived close to wildlife and not only have I not seen any but I haven't heard of any. My husband is an outdoors man and does lots of fishing and hunting. Haven't heard anything from him or any other outdoors man. Could it be the cooler climate? Actually, we're not seeing "so many animals with mange". We're seeing a few that are getting more spotlight than they should, especially when us... [More]

Today marks 48 years since first Moon landing
7-20-2017
Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong made history when they set foot on the lunar surface 48 years ago today.
Australia find 'rewrites the history books'
7-20-2017
Archaeologists now believe that Australia was colonized 18,000 years earlier than previously thought.
Top US general warns against killer robots
7-19-2017
General Paul Selva has spoken out about the dangers of creating fully autonomous weapon systems.
Frozen sausages land on house roof in Florida
7-19-2017
A family in South Florida were left perplexed this week after their house was hit by bags of frozen meat.
Do not microwave an airbag
Posted 7-20-2017 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys capture what happens when you put an airbag in a microwave.

How do fireworks get their colors ?
Posted 7-19-2017 | 0 comments
Fireworks are well known for their colorful explosions, but where do the colors come from ?

The man who swims towards sharks
Posted 7-18-2017 | 1 comment
Marine biologist Yannis doesn't avoid sharks, he deliberately seeks them out.

Dog for mayor ?
Posted 7-17-2017 | 1 comment
What happens exactly when a town votes for a dog or a cat to be the mayor ? How does this work ?

The asteroid hunters
Posted 7-16-2017 | 1 comment
A look at ongoing efforts to detect and track potentially dangerous asteroids.

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI

Craig is here
6-10-2017 | Phoenix AZ

We saw the same thing!
6-10-2017 | Pooler, GA

Three female faces
6-5-2017 | Illinois (IL)

Encounter at 3:33 AM
6-5-2017 | Budapest

Trade school terror
5-26-2017 | Cedro woolley, Wa.