Thursday, August 17, 2017

Giant great white shark tagged in Australia

Posted on Friday, 11 April, 2014 | Comment icon 32 comments

The infamous great white shark. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Terry Goss
One of the largest great white sharks ever found has been tagged off the coast of Western Australia.
Measuring 5.3m in length and weighing in at 1.6 tons, the tagging of this aquatic giant is being hailed as a major breakthrough in shark research.

Despite only having a boat that was marginally larger than the shark itself, three Fisheries staff took over two hours to subdue the creature off the coast off Mistaken Island.

"This is very exciting and potentially a world first," said Mark Kleeman, project manager of the Shark Monitoring Network. "It is something we have been striving for and it is great to prove we can handle an animal of that size."

The tag will provide tracking data for the animal for up to 10 years, giving experts a unique opportunity to study the behavior of such a large shark for the first time.

"We are excited by the potential of what this shark can give us," said Kleeman.

Source: WA Today | Comments (32)

Tags: Shark, Great White

Comment icon #23 Posted by ancient astronaut on 12 April, 2014, 15:41
Awesome for them. I'm scared of sharks but they get a bad rap since they are eating machines. If we get bit it's because we went in their territory. We get all worked up when sharks attack a swimmer, but the number of sharks harvested by humans to the number of humans harvested by sharks is extremely disproportionate. (about 100 million sharks to about 10 humans).
Comment icon #24 Posted by Merc14 on 12 April, 2014, 23:44
We get all worked up when sharks attack a swimmer, but the number of sharks harvested by humans to the number of humans harvested by sharks is extremely disproportionate. (about 100 million sharks to about 10 humans). I think we were all victims of "Jaws", something Peter Benchley never forgave himself for but eh new generations see sharks fro what they are, a necessary and vital part of the ocean world. Site like this one help take the hatred out of the equation http://www.ocearch.org/
Comment icon #25 Posted by Monkfish on 18 April, 2014, 17:46
I'd like to be reincarnated as a shark, a great big one.
Comment icon #26 Posted by eaglesareskykittens on 19 April, 2014, 2:02
I'd like to be reincarnated as a shark, a great big one. I'd rethink that if I were you, shark fin soup is considered a delicacy.
Comment icon #27 Posted by EllJay on 21 April, 2014, 23:19
That's it. I'm never going in the sea again. Bollox to swimming, I hear the Jaws-theme even when I'm in my bathtub, or washing my hands in the sink. Look at that "meat-garage" at 1.13. It doesn't even have to chew you, just take you down in one gulp.
Comment icon #28 Posted by SecretAgentMathew on 22 April, 2014, 2:13
Why did they tag it, the only good shark is one hanging upside down on a quayside. B.t.w what happened to the one called Lydia which was tagged in the U.S and was heading for U.K so they said. Does anyone know ?? I know the US has to be bigger and better with everything ... but unfortunately you can't be regarding sharks
Comment icon #29 Posted by Merc14 on 22 April, 2014, 2:42
I know the US has to be bigger and better with everything ... but unfortunately you can't be regarding sharks You're welcome to them and don't forget the saltwater crocs
Comment icon #30 Posted by SecretAgentMathew on 22 April, 2014, 2:59
You're welcome to them and don't forget the saltwater crocs Ah yes the crocs and drop bears I shouldn't forget even the platypus can be deadly
Comment icon #31 Posted by spud the mackem on 22 April, 2014, 7:51
I know the US has to be bigger and better with everything ... but unfortunately you can't be regarding sharks Hi Oz Agent, We know you have lots around Oz, but the biggest ones are found off the coast of South Africa.
Comment icon #32 Posted by DanteHoratio on 30 June, 2014, 20:13
Nevermind, sorry about the post.

Insect burgers to go on sale in Switzerland
8-16-2017
Insect-based edibles are beginning to appear in shops after a recent revision of food safety laws.
Firm set to put a cellphone tower on the Moon
8-16-2017
A German startup is aiming to land rovers on the Moon that will communicate using cellphone technology.
'Frankenstein dinosaur' is 'missing link'
8-16-2017
The mystery surrounding a dinosaur made up of various mismatched body parts has finally been solved.
Dog turns blue due to polluted Indian River
8-15-2017
Untreated industrial waste in Mumbai's Kasadi river has been turning dogs a rather peculiar color.
Animal symbiotic relationships
Posted 8-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at some of the animal species that rely on one another to survive.

How much of the Earth can be seen at once ?
Posted 8-15-2017 | 0 comments
What is the maximum amount of our planet that you can see from any given point ?

Will batteries power the world ?
Posted 8-14-2017 | 0 comments
Is there a limit to how small and light a rechargeable lithium-ion battery can be ?

Hoia-Baciu - the world's most haunted forest
Posted 8-13-2017 | 0 comments
A look at an area of forest that some people describe as Romania's own 'Bermuda Triangle'.

Can Derren Brown fool a psychologist ?
Posted 8-12-2017 | 2 comments
Psychological illusionist Derren Brown takes on a professional in the field.

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama