Friday, July 21, 2017

Man tries to obtain every VHS copy of 'Speed'

Posted on Saturday, 26 April, 2014 | Comment icon 34 comments

Beitz has dedicated his life to the unusual pursuit. Image Credit: YouTube / USA Today
Ryan Beitz has set himself what has to be one of the most impossibly pointless goals ever conceived.
It's not uncommon to hear of people who collect memorabilia, DVDs, action figures and other such things, but 26-year-old Ryan Beitz has turned the conventional idea of collecting on its head by setting out to collect every single copy of the VHS tape release of the 1994 Keanu Reeves film 'Speed'.

"I was super broke and I had to come up with Christmas presents for my family," he told Vice Magazine in an interview. "I was at the pawn shop they had six copies of Speed and I thought it would be really funny to get everybody in my family the same gift."

Since then Beitz has turned the concept in to 'The World Speed Project' and now maintains a collection of over 500 VHS copies. His next goal is to obtain sufficient funding to turn his minivan in to a replica of the iconic bus from the movie so that he can tour the country and pick up yet more donated copies of the movie from other fans.

Source: Metro | Comments (34)

Tags: Speed, VHS

Comment icon #25 Posted by Rlyeh on 27 April, 2014, 17:27
I have a copy that he'll never have... Not for a million dollars?
Comment icon #26 Posted by Imaginarynumber1 on 27 April, 2014, 23:37
Not for a million dollars? Maybe for a million dollars and some chicken wings. I'm kind of hungry.
Comment icon #27 Posted by ancient astronaut on 27 April, 2014, 23:47
Even Keanu can't believe it.
Comment icon #28 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 28 April, 2014, 10:47
Everybody needs a hobby. I guess?
Comment icon #29 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 28 April, 2014, 10:50
Bill and Ted. The 2000's version of them:
Comment icon #30 Posted by RhiannonB77 on 28 April, 2014, 10:53
Weird hobby considering VHS is rarely used these days.
Comment icon #31 Posted by DigitalDreamer on 2 May, 2014, 19:59
Couldn't have classified this mans life journey any better,"one of the most impossibly pointless goals ever conceived" sums up this distraught mans efforts.
Comment icon #32 Posted by Myles on 14 May, 2014, 15:32
He could certainly obtain a lot of these copies driving across country. As long as he doesn't have a family that suffers because of this, he should go for it.
Comment icon #33 Posted by MissMelsWell on 17 May, 2014, 4:51
If I'm not mistaken, this guy is from Idaho... I heard him interviewed on the radio a couple of weeks ago. He's actually really funny; one of the better interviews I've heard in a while. He probably has a budding career as a marketing specialist or something. LOL
Comment icon #34 Posted by _Only on 17 May, 2014, 5:39
"Pop quiz" Once he has all the copies he can get....What will he do? Build a bus out of them, Lego style

Mystery of Abe Lincoln's Bixby letter solved
7-21-2017
Forensic linguists have 'almost certainly' determined who really wrote the famous Civil War-era letter.
Free diver hits bottom of world's deepest pool
7-21-2017
A new video shows veteran free diver Guillaume Nery descending 131ft underwater on only one lungful of air.
SpaceX ditches plans for 2018 Mars landing
7-21-2017
Plans to land a modified version of the company's reusable Dragon capsule on Mars have been scrapped.
Today marks 48 years since first Moon landing
7-20-2017
Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong made history when they set foot on the lunar surface 48 years ago today.
Dolphins beach themselves to catch fish
Posted 7-21-2017 | 0 comments

Do not microwave an airbag
Posted 7-20-2017 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys capture what happens when you put an airbag in a microwave.

How do fireworks get their colors ?
Posted 7-19-2017 | 0 comments
Fireworks are well known for their colorful explosions, but where do the colors come from ?

The man who swims towards sharks
Posted 7-18-2017 | 1 comment
Marine biologist Yannis doesn't avoid sharks, he deliberately seeks them out.

Dog for mayor ?
Posted 7-17-2017 | 1 comment
What happens exactly when a town votes for a dog or a cat to be the mayor ? How does this work ?

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI