Thursday, September 21, 2017

Man tries to obtain every VHS copy of 'Speed'

Posted on Saturday, 26 April, 2014 | Comment icon 34 comments

Beitz has dedicated his life to the unusual pursuit. Image Credit: YouTube / USA Today
Ryan Beitz has set himself what has to be one of the most impossibly pointless goals ever conceived.
It's not uncommon to hear of people who collect memorabilia, DVDs, action figures and other such things, but 26-year-old Ryan Beitz has turned the conventional idea of collecting on its head by setting out to collect every single copy of the VHS tape release of the 1994 Keanu Reeves film 'Speed'.

"I was super broke and I had to come up with Christmas presents for my family," he told Vice Magazine in an interview. "I was at the pawn shop they had six copies of Speed and I thought it would be really funny to get everybody in my family the same gift."

Since then Beitz has turned the concept in to 'The World Speed Project' and now maintains a collection of over 500 VHS copies. His next goal is to obtain sufficient funding to turn his minivan in to a replica of the iconic bus from the movie so that he can tour the country and pick up yet more donated copies of the movie from other fans.

Source: Metro | Comments (34)

Tags: Speed, VHS

Comment icon #25 Posted by Rlyeh on 27 April, 2014, 17:27
I have a copy that he'll never have... Not for a million dollars?
Comment icon #26 Posted by Imaginarynumber1 on 27 April, 2014, 23:37
Not for a million dollars? Maybe for a million dollars and some chicken wings. I'm kind of hungry.
Comment icon #27 Posted by ancient astronaut on 27 April, 2014, 23:47
Even Keanu can't believe it.
Comment icon #28 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 28 April, 2014, 10:47
Everybody needs a hobby. I guess?
Comment icon #29 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 28 April, 2014, 10:50
Bill and Ted. The 2000's version of them:
Comment icon #30 Posted by RhiannonB77 on 28 April, 2014, 10:53
Weird hobby considering VHS is rarely used these days.
Comment icon #31 Posted by DigitalDreamer on 2 May, 2014, 19:59
Couldn't have classified this mans life journey any better,"one of the most impossibly pointless goals ever conceived" sums up this distraught mans efforts.
Comment icon #32 Posted by Myles on 14 May, 2014, 15:32
He could certainly obtain a lot of these copies driving across country. As long as he doesn't have a family that suffers because of this, he should go for it.
Comment icon #33 Posted by MissMelsWell on 17 May, 2014, 4:51
If I'm not mistaken, this guy is from Idaho... I heard him interviewed on the radio a couple of weeks ago. He's actually really funny; one of the better interviews I've heard in a while. He probably has a budding career as a marketing specialist or something. LOL
Comment icon #34 Posted by _Only on 17 May, 2014, 5:39
"Pop quiz" Once he has all the copies he can get....What will he do? Build a bus out of them, Lego style

550 million-year-old creature mystery solved
9-20-2017
Scientists believe that they have finally worked out what type of creature 'Dickinsonia' actually was.
Porpoise unearthed in medieval graveyard
9-20-2017
A recent archaeological dig near Guernsey has yielded something rather unexpected - a porpoise skeleton.
Mystery surrounds flushed money in Geneva
9-19-2017
An unknown individual has been flushing thousands of euros down the toilet and nobody knows why.
'Octopus city' found off coast of Australia
9-19-2017
Members of the gloomy octopus species have created their own underwater settlement dubbed 'Octlantis'.
Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

I'll eat my hat
Posted 9-18-2017 | 0 comments
Where did the strange phrase 'I'll eat my hat' actually come from ?

Meet the microscopic life in your home
Posted 9-17-2017 | 0 comments
Think your home is free of meddlesome microscopic life forms ? Think again.

Are rats friends or foes ?
Posted 9-16-2017 | 3 comments
Rats are certainly not humanity's favorite animals, but just how bad are they really ?

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY