Saturday, October 25, 2014   |   5,848 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

UK is home to subculture of 15,000 vampires

Posted on Friday, 30 May, 2014 | Comment icon 118 comments

Modern vampires tend to be very private people. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Corpsegrinder

A psychology lecturer is carrying out the first ever online academic study in to the lives of vampires.

The traditional concept of a vampire in popular culture is one of a blood-sucking creature of the night that can turn in to a bat and has no reflection, but outside of books and movies there has been a growing community of people who have come to identify themselves as modern day vampires.

Senior lecturer Dr Emyr Williams has been conducting the first ever academic study in to this unusual subculture and has drafted a questionnaire in an effort to learn more.

"We are talking about a group of individuals who believe they have a psychological need to consume blood," he said. "Some books say there are between 10,000 and 15,000 people in the UK who call themselves vampires, with maybe another 30,000 being donors. So we’re trying to reach as many of these people as we can to try and understand them better."

Some modern vampires take their beliefs so seriously that they sleep in a coffin at night and even have their teeth sharpened in to fangs, however most don't take things to such an extreme.

"This is a subculture that exists in every country, especially in the west," he said. "It is fascinating and all very real, which is why I wanted to conduct this study."

Source: Telegraph | Comments (118)

Tags: Vampire

Comment icon #109 Posted by newbloodmoon on 7 June, 2014, 6:16
I had read an article about the vampire girl in a tattoo magazine about a year and a half ago. There are worse ways to get attention, spree shooter, serial killer, rapist etc. Though I wouldn't go to that extreme with body modifiction I find it to be fascinating and would would sit down with her and pick her brain.
Comment icon #110 Posted by JGirl on 9 June, 2014, 5:39
did you forget a zero there? my tooth implant was $3000 - $1500 for the titanium rod in the jaw and $1500 for the crown that fits on it.
Comment icon #111 Posted by DieChecker on 9 June, 2014, 21:02
Correct. I meant $3000.
Comment icon #112 Posted by plaguedmedusa on 12 June, 2014, 5:23
I remember in high school I had a few friends who thought they were "vampires". I thought it was pretty funny and harmless....but then I went to one of their parties and I saw them drinking each others blood.....Yeahhhh that was really disturbing. I dont care what type of person you are or what you do, but when blood is involved, count me out!
Comment icon #113 Posted by TheGreatBeliever on 18 June, 2014, 8:56
Wannabes!
Comment icon #114 Posted by Frank Merton on 18 June, 2014, 9:02
Wow. I can think of half a dozen diseases, a couple of them lethal, that could be spread that way.
Comment icon #115 Posted by Mr. ET on 18 June, 2014, 11:41
I once was a vampire and then I woke up.
Comment icon #116 Posted by captain pish on 18 June, 2014, 18:21
I think when he says "vampires" what he actually means is "attention seekers"
Comment icon #117 Posted by Azznerak the Black on 28 June, 2014, 16:46
I didn't realize the UK had a subculture of depressed teens in black cloths that sit in their basement drinking tomato juice and listening to Depeche Mode while cutting themselves because their father works to much to make the payments on their family home. How interesting....
Comment icon #118 Posted by g00dfella on 28 June, 2014, 18:28