Saturday, July 30, 2016

California drought sees dowsers in demand

Posted on Saturday, 12 July, 2014 | Comment icon 68 comments

A Y-shaped dowsing rod made from a tree branch. Image Credit: Imperial War Museum
Dowsers have been seeing a lot of work lately thanks to a third consecutive year of drought.
The controversial method for discovering water buried beneath the ground has been used for thousands of years despite there being no conclusive evidence or explanation to support the notion that the technique actually works.

Thanks to the recent drought however modern day dowsers have been finding themselves in high demand. Some claim to have discovered multiple new sources of water using their metaphysical talents while others haven't been quite so successful.

"I've found at least eight wells for our vineyard, and hundreds of wells for farmers and homes," said Marc Mondavi who has been dowsing for over 40 years and currently makes half of his income from paying customers looking to hire his services.

The age-old practice generally involves using a pair of metal rods or a Y-shaped branch to detect water, oil or other valuable substances hidden beneath the ground. The dowser will typically walk around a property and use the movement of the rod(s) to determine if something is buried there.

"I thought it was the biggest bunch of bull I ever heard in my life," said Greg Storozack who had initially been skeptical of the phenomenon until his cousin persuaded him otherwise.

"I tried it, and I pictured an underground stream in my mind, and I started walking and the rods opened up. We found water."

Source: NBC News | Comments (68)

Tags: Dowsing, California, Drought

Comment icon #59 Posted by scowl on 16 July, 2014, 20:41
That is still not sufficient to state with absolute certainly that dowsing can never work for anyone under any circumstances. Science never proves anything with absolute certainty, however it provides a greater degree of certainty than any other method we have invented. That's why the method is used exclusively in all fields of research. An inability to explain how something works does not mean that it can't work. I know of nothing that had been proved to work yet doesn't have a plausible theory as to how it works. No scientist will see a reproducible effect and not begin to theorize on it. On... [More]
Comment icon #60 Posted by bmk1245 on 16 July, 2014, 21:48
That is still not sufficient to state with absolute certainly that dowsing can never work for anyone under any circumstances. [...] If you, hypothetically, would have scales that every time gives you different weight from 0 to 400 lbs, what you would say? "That crap doesn't work", or "That is still not sufficient to state..."?Dowsing is the same as aforementioned (hypothetical) scales.
Comment icon #61 Posted by Purifier on 16 July, 2014, 22:25
Science actually grants a lot of people authority in the world. It authorizes people to build safe buildings, sell safe food and medications, solve crimes, distribute safe water and electricity and improve people's lives. When an issue is up for public debate, scientific evidence always takes precedence over anecdotes. That's because scientific evidence can be retested by anyone at any time. While science may help build a better tomorrow in that respect, it does not grant you the authority to go after individuals with personal experiences in dowsing like you're the Spanish Inquisition, which I... [More]
Comment icon #62 Posted by bmk1245 on 16 July, 2014, 23:42
[...] How about you try and experiment with dowsing yourself instead of relying on some entertainer's work. [...] How about trying dowsing with your hands crossed? Rods should move in the same directions (above same spot) as in "normal" dowsing (towards each other, for example), isn't it? Try it, and tell us results.
Comment icon #63 Posted by Ryu on 18 July, 2014, 11:26
If you, hypothetically, would have scales that every time gives you different weight from 0 to 400 lbs, what you would say? "That crap doesn't work", or "That is still not sufficient to state..."? Dowsing is the same as aforementioned (hypothetical) scales. A scale measures real objects, dowsing doesn't.
Comment icon #64 Posted by bmk1245 on 20 July, 2014, 15:29
A scale measures real objects, dowsing doesn't. So, what dowsing measures? EM? Qi? What?BTW I just gave one of (more or less) simplest examples of how dowsing "works" in controlled conditions.
Comment icon #65 Posted by Ryu on 20 July, 2014, 15:57
Comment icon #66 Posted by spartan max2 on 20 July, 2014, 16:39
This is why I like UM. I never even heard of "Dowsers" until I came across this thread
Comment icon #67 Posted by bmk1245 on 20 July, 2014, 18:44
I guess I just do not understand your point then. I assumed you were defending and condoning dowsing while I do not. I do not defend, nor condone dowsing. Period.I can't figure out how you came to the conclusion that I'm into dowsing crap. Edit: clarification
Comment icon #68 Posted by Purifier on 20 July, 2014, 23:04
name='bmk1245' timestamp='1405881881' post='5247550']I do not defend, nor condone dowsing. Period. I can't figure out how you came to the conclusion that I'm into dowsing crap. Edit: clarification Well he probably thought you had some interest in it, like I thought you did, because you suggested to me to try doing your dowsing method in the quote below. It sound like you've been experimenting with it and you wanted me to try it as well, in order to see if I got the same results. How about trying dowsing with your hands crossed? Rods should move in the same directions (above same spot) as in "n... [More]

Cheese discovered in 340-year-old shipwreck
7-29-2016
A container of foul-smelling cheese has been recovered from the site of a sunken 17th-century gunship.
Skydiver to jump without any parachute at all
7-29-2016
Skydiver Luke Aikins will be attempting to jump from 25,000ft and land in a safety net on live TV.
Apollo astronauts at risk of heart problems
7-29-2016
The astronauts who walked on the moon are up to five times more likely to die of cardiovascular disease.
Man has spent 25 years searching for Nessie
7-28-2016
It has now been 25 years since Steve Feltham dedicated his life to hunting down the Loch Ness Monster.
Can you crash something in to the sun ?
Posted 7-29-2016 | 0 comments
A look at the difficulties involved in sending a spacecraft to collide with the sun.

What if Lego figures were real ?
Posted 7-28-2016 | 4 comments
A bizarre look at a creepy Lego-inspired mask that turns you in to a life-sized Lego minifigure.

Following the Oregon Trail
Posted 7-27-2016 | 1 comment
A look back at Narcissa Whitman - the first woman to complete the Oregon Trail.

Walking over light bulbs
Posted 7-26-2016 | 2 comments
This skilled Chinese woman succeeds in walking across light bulbs for 20 meters.

Are great leaders born or made ?
Posted 7-25-2016 | 7 comments
What does it take to be a great leader and how does one go about accomplishing that ?

Light in Orion
7-23-2016 | Tampa, Florida

Girl with the broken neck
7-23-2016 | Mississippi

Holes in cotton clothing
7-23-2016 | Somerset, UK

Three knocks in the night
6-28-2016 | Cedar City, Utah