Saturday, July 22, 2017

Scientists invent spray-on solar cells

Posted on Monday, 4 August, 2014 | Comment icon 11 comments

Could traditional solar panels become obselete ? Image Credit: sxc.hu
Developed at the University of Sheffield, the new technology could be applied to practically any surface.
Solar power is becoming increasingly common these days as more and more householders are opting to have solar panels installed in an effort too help cut down on their energy bills.

Now scientists are looking to improve on existing solar power technology by developing cells based on perovskite which is cheaper and greener than traditional silicon-based cells.

To this end, researchers at the University of Sheffield have developed a remarkable new spray paint type applicator that can essentially place a working solar panel on to any surface such as on the roof of a house or even on to the body of a car.

"Remarkably, this class of material offers the potential to combine the high performance of mature solar cell technologies with the low embedded energy costs of production of organic photovoltaics," said lead researcher Professor David Lidzey. "Using a perovskite absorber instead of an organic absorber gives a significant boost in terms of efficiency."

Source: Independent | Comments (11)

Tags: Solar Cells

Comment icon #2 Posted by Child of Bast on 4 August, 2014, 14:46
And they are inspired by the movie: "Cloudy with a chances of Meatballs!" Next invention would be Ratbirds and then the FLDSMDFR!!! Spray on shoes!
Comment icon #3 Posted by Rei4ever on 4 August, 2014, 15:33
Spray on shoes! Yes
Comment icon #4 Posted by danielost on 4 August, 2014, 15:35
I wonder if it would be enough to power an electric CSR without plugging in?
Comment icon #5 Posted by StRoostifer on 4 August, 2014, 16:11
Comment icon #6 Posted by paperdyer on 4 August, 2014, 19:18
This is pretty cool. Cannot imagine the price tag that will be put on this tech. I'm ready to paint the car and roof of the house. That's the problem. The cost of solar panels eats-up the energy bill savings. I did some research before I put in my new heat pump. The solar panels to run the system would save me an estimated $100/month on heating and cooling. Guess how much financing was a month. You guessed it $100/month. Then you have to worry about repairs from tree damage and just general maintenance and just how optimistic the estimate was.
Comment icon #7 Posted by StRoostifer on 4 August, 2014, 19:24
That's the problem. The cost of solar panels eats-up the energy bill savings. I did some research before I put in my new heat pump. The solar panels to run the system would save me an estimated $100/month on heating and cooling. Guess how much financing was a month. You guessed it $100/month. Then you have to worry about repairs from tree damage and just general maintenance and just how optimistic the estimate was. I'm not surprised. All that is taken into account before products get into the market place. This way no matter what choice is made by the consumer, they are still paying the same p... [More]
Comment icon #8 Posted by little_dreamer on 4 August, 2014, 20:14
I'm ready for some cheap solar power. Just don't want to spend thousands to do so.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Talion78 on 4 August, 2014, 21:22
If they can make it look like "Millionaire Hair" bald people could be the batteries of the future. This is an interesting development and the potential to turn practically anything into a solar power generator has huge potential.
Comment icon #10 Posted by bubblykiss on 4 August, 2014, 22:03
I live in an inferno/desert. Anything solar powered is of profound interest to me. Today I drove by a university parking lot where the shade covers were nice fat solar panels and I was pleased beyond all compare. If we are going to be bombarded by light and heat we might as well use it to cool our buildings and structures.
Comment icon #11 Posted by lightly on 5 August, 2014, 1:01
Sounds great! .. i thought i'd heard of solar cell Paint a few years ago? Lots of possibilities. If our devices and especially appliances ever get super efficient.. solar/light power will be the norm.

Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs
  Is "The Devil" necessary?
  Brief Thoughts For a New Islam
  Death of my baby Niece.
 Ancient Mysteries & Alternative History
  Sphinx
  Let's talk history
  Alternative History - Orion's Belt fallacy
Did sea creatures push US in to Vietnam War ?
7-22-2017
Back in 1964, the Gulf of Tonkin incident resulted in a renewed commitment to war with Vietnam.
Scientist has 'solved' the Bermuda Triangle
7-22-2017
Dr Karl Kruszelnicki maintains that the answer to the mystery lies in little more than basic human error.
Scientists develop bizarre worm-like robot
7-22-2017
Stanford University researchers have built a robot that can literally worm its way around anything.
Mystery of Abe Lincoln's Bixby letter solved
7-21-2017
Forensic linguists have 'almost certainly' determined who really wrote the famous Civil War-era letter.
Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 0 comments

Dolphins beach themselves to catch fish
Posted 7-21-2017 | 0 comments

Do not microwave an airbag
Posted 7-20-2017 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys capture what happens when you put an airbag in a microwave.

How do fireworks get their colors ?
Posted 7-19-2017 | 0 comments
Fireworks are well known for their colorful explosions, but where do the colors come from ?

The man who swims towards sharks
Posted 7-18-2017 | 1 comment
Marine biologist Yannis doesn't avoid sharks, he deliberately seeks them out.

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI