Monday, September 25, 2017

Scientists invent spray-on solar cells

Posted on Monday, 4 August, 2014 | Comment icon 11 comments

Could traditional solar panels become obselete ? Image Credit: sxc.hu
Developed at the University of Sheffield, the new technology could be applied to practically any surface.
Solar power is becoming increasingly common these days as more and more householders are opting to have solar panels installed in an effort too help cut down on their energy bills.

Now scientists are looking to improve on existing solar power technology by developing cells based on perovskite which is cheaper and greener than traditional silicon-based cells.

To this end, researchers at the University of Sheffield have developed a remarkable new spray paint type applicator that can essentially place a working solar panel on to any surface such as on the roof of a house or even on to the body of a car.

"Remarkably, this class of material offers the potential to combine the high performance of mature solar cell technologies with the low embedded energy costs of production of organic photovoltaics," said lead researcher Professor David Lidzey. "Using a perovskite absorber instead of an organic absorber gives a significant boost in terms of efficiency."

Source: Independent | Comments (11)

Tags: Solar Cells

Comment icon #2 Posted by Child of Bast on 4 August, 2014, 14:46
And they are inspired by the movie: "Cloudy with a chances of Meatballs!" Next invention would be Ratbirds and then the FLDSMDFR!!! Spray on shoes!
Comment icon #3 Posted by Rei4ever on 4 August, 2014, 15:33
Spray on shoes! Yes
Comment icon #4 Posted by danielost on 4 August, 2014, 15:35
I wonder if it would be enough to power an electric CSR without plugging in?
Comment icon #5 Posted by StRoostifer on 4 August, 2014, 16:11
Comment icon #6 Posted by paperdyer on 4 August, 2014, 19:18
This is pretty cool. Cannot imagine the price tag that will be put on this tech. I'm ready to paint the car and roof of the house. That's the problem. The cost of solar panels eats-up the energy bill savings. I did some research before I put in my new heat pump. The solar panels to run the system would save me an estimated $100/month on heating and cooling. Guess how much financing was a month. You guessed it $100/month. Then you have to worry about repairs from tree damage and just general maintenance and just how optimistic the estimate was.
Comment icon #7 Posted by StRoostifer on 4 August, 2014, 19:24
That's the problem. The cost of solar panels eats-up the energy bill savings. I did some research before I put in my new heat pump. The solar panels to run the system would save me an estimated $100/month on heating and cooling. Guess how much financing was a month. You guessed it $100/month. Then you have to worry about repairs from tree damage and just general maintenance and just how optimistic the estimate was. I'm not surprised. All that is taken into account before products get into the market place. This way no matter what choice is made by the consumer, they are still paying the same p... [More]
Comment icon #8 Posted by little_dreamer on 4 August, 2014, 20:14
I'm ready for some cheap solar power. Just don't want to spend thousands to do so.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Talion78 on 4 August, 2014, 21:22
If they can make it look like "Millionaire Hair" bald people could be the batteries of the future. This is an interesting development and the potential to turn practically anything into a solar power generator has huge potential.
Comment icon #10 Posted by bubblykiss on 4 August, 2014, 22:03
I live in an inferno/desert. Anything solar powered is of profound interest to me. Today I drove by a university parking lot where the shade covers were nice fat solar panels and I was pleased beyond all compare. If we are going to be bombarded by light and heat we might as well use it to cool our buildings and structures.
Comment icon #11 Posted by lightly on 5 August, 2014, 1:01
Sounds great! .. i thought i'd heard of solar cell Paint a few years ago? Lots of possibilities. If our devices and especially appliances ever get super efficient.. solar/light power will be the norm.

Neanderthal brains developed slower than ours
9-24-2017
The skeleton of a young Neanderthal has revealed that our brains did not develop at the same rate.
Plant-eating dinosaurs sometimes ate crabs
9-24-2017
Fossilized droppings have revealed that some herbivorous dinosaurs occasionally snacked on seafood.
Pyramid construction mystery has been solved
9-24-2017
New evidence has shed light on exactly how huge stone blocks were transported to the site of the pyramids.
Saudi Arabian textbook shows Yoda at the UN
9-23-2017
A doctored image of Yoda at the United Nations has somehow ended up in a history textbook.
Will robots take over all our jobs ?
Posted 9-23-2017 | 1 comment
As computers become increasingly sophisticated, will there be any jobs left for us ?

Exploring Antarctica's hidden depths
Posted 9-22-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists investigate some of the wildlife hidden beneath the Antarctic ice.

Science-fiction spacesuits
Posted 9-21-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage investigates a number of intricately detailed spacesuits used in movies.

Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY