Tuesday, November 25, 2014   |   4,598 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

Scientists invent spray-on solar cells

Posted on Monday, 4 August, 2014 | Comment icon 11 comments

Could traditional solar panels become obselete ? Image Credit: sxc.hu

Developed at the University of Sheffield, the new technology could be applied to practically any surface.

Solar power is becoming increasingly common these days as more and more householders are opting to have solar panels installed in an effort too help cut down on their energy bills.

Now scientists are looking to improve on existing solar power technology by developing cells based on perovskite which is cheaper and greener than traditional silicon-based cells.

To this end, researchers at the University of Sheffield have developed a remarkable new spray paint type applicator that can essentially place a working solar panel on to any surface such as on the roof of a house or even on to the body of a car.

"Remarkably, this class of material offers the potential to combine the high performance of mature solar cell technologies with the low embedded energy costs of production of organic photovoltaics," said lead researcher Professor David Lidzey. "Using a perovskite absorber instead of an organic absorber gives a significant boost in terms of efficiency."

Source: Independent | Comments (11)

Tags: Solar Cells

Comment icon #2 Posted by Child of Bast on 4 August, 2014, 14:46
Comment icon #3 Posted by Rei4ever on 4 August, 2014, 15:33
Comment icon #4 Posted by danielost on 4 August, 2014, 15:35
I wonder if it would be enough to power an electric CSR without plugging in?
Comment icon #5 Posted by StRoostifer on 4 August, 2014, 16:11
This is pretty cool. Cannot imagine the price tag that will be put on this tech. I'm ready to paint the car and roof of the house.
Comment icon #6 Posted by paperdyer on 4 August, 2014, 19:18
That's the problem. The cost of solar panels eats-up the energy bill savings. I did some research before I put in my new heat pump. The solar panels to run the system would save me an estimated $100/month on heating and cooling. Guess how much financing was a month. You guessed it $100/month. Then you have to worry about repairs from tree damage and just general maintenance and just how optimistic the estimate was.
Comment icon #7 Posted by StRoostifer on 4 August, 2014, 19:24
I'm not surprised. All that is taken into account before products get into the market place. This way no matter what choice is made by the consumer, they are still paying the same price all the while making the idiot consumer feel as tho they actually had a choice in the matter. Marketing psychology I tell ya!
Comment icon #8 Posted by little_dreamer on 4 August, 2014, 20:14
I'm ready for some cheap solar power. Just don't want to spend thousands to do so.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Talion78 on 4 August, 2014, 21:22
If they can make it look like "Millionaire Hair" bald people could be the batteries of the future. This is an interesting development and the potential to turn practically anything into a solar power generator has huge potential.
Comment icon #10 Posted by bubblykiss on 4 August, 2014, 22:03
I live in an inferno/desert. Anything solar powered is of profound interest to me. Today I drove by a university parking lot where the shade covers were nice fat solar panels and I was pleased beyond all compare. If we are going to be bombarded by light and heat we might as well use it to cool our buildings and structures.
Comment icon #11 Posted by lightly on 5 August, 2014, 1:01
Sounds great! .. i thought i'd heard of solar cell Paint a few years ago? Lots of possibilities. If our devices and especially appliances ever get super efficient.. solar/light power will be the norm.

Hotel hauntings