Monday, July 25, 2016

Coywolf species appears in North America

Posted on Monday, 25 August, 2014 | Comment icon 21 comments

Coywolves being kept in captivity. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 L. David Mech et al.
A cross between coyotes and wolves has been taking over in some areas of the United States.
Consisting of around 25% wolf DNA, 66% coyote DNA and the rest from domestic dogs, these unusual cross-breeds have been sighted with increasing regularity in several regions including in West Virginia and to the north of the Great Lakes.

Their presence stems from human hunting activity pushing wolf populations north and coyote populations east from the Great Plains, forcing both species together and enabling them to mate and produce hybrid offspring.

With an entirely new genetic make-up than either species when taken individually, these new coywolves are significantly larger than coyotes and possess strong wolf-like jaws.

Their wolf genes also give them an edge in taking down larger prey while their coyote genes help them to adapt to urban environments. They are also adept at hunting together in packs.

Source: Mail Online | Comments (21)

Tags: Coywolves, Coyote, Wolves

Comment icon #12 Posted by Myles on 25 August, 2014, 17:37
I hear and see them all the time here in PA. Have a few on trail cams. A beautiful black one too, weighs at least 70lbs. They are huge, not like a scrawny western coyote. Gorgeous animals. And totally harmless Not really harmless. They will kill small livestock, chickens, dogs and many other small animals.
Comment icon #13 Posted by bobb73 on 25 August, 2014, 18:06
@ Neognosis There's nothing to disregard. Unless these are packs of Canadian Red Wolves on my property, I believe what the PA Game Commision says that these are coyote/wolf hybrids. These are large German Shepard's running around essentially. And yes I mean harmless to humans. They have killed a lot of livestock in the area. And I don't let the shihtzu out at night without me being there. More dangerous than a Bigfoot I suppose
Comment icon #14 Posted by DieChecker on 25 August, 2014, 19:10
This is not really new. There is at least one UM thread about this in 2010 or 2011. I'll see if I can find it. As of 2010, the eastern coyote's genetic makeup is fairly uniform, with minimal influence from the wolves or western coyotes.[5] http://en.wikipedia....f-coyote_hybrid I will disregard this until I read about it in a peer reviewed journal. http://www.easternco...inalInPrint.pdf 2010 Northeastern Naturalist 17(2):189–204 These results indicate that the eastern Coyote should more appropriately be termed “Coywolf” to reflect their hybrid (C. latrans x lycaon) origin. EDIT: UM Thread 2011
Comment icon #15 Posted by Neognosis on 25 August, 2014, 19:26
Comment icon #16 Posted by ROGER on 25 August, 2014, 20:24
Let's capture a few , cross breed them with the chihuahua's that seem to be every where . Then release the little buggers . No longer a BIG problem .
Comment icon #17 Posted by DieChecker on 25 August, 2014, 21:56
Thank you, Diechecker. I've seen these in the adirondacks, though I just though they were large coyotes. Not a problem. You post great stuff.
Comment icon #18 Posted by calaf on 25 August, 2014, 22:56
Not really harmless. They will kill small livestock, chickens, dogs and many other small animals. You mean they kill them and eat them before we get a chance to? b*******!
Comment icon #19 Posted by Myles on 26 August, 2014, 11:42
You mean they kill them and eat them before we get a chance to? b*******! Yep. We are not harmless either. I have chickens. If an animal tries to eat my chicken, I shoot it (or trap it and kill it).
Comment icon #20 Posted by william joseph on 30 August, 2014, 6:46
Wolves and coyotes are the same species. Canines. pugs and chows and german shephards and all breeds of dogs can breed with wolfs and coyotes. They are the same species. My daughter had a half wolf and husky. They are the same species period.
Comment icon #21 Posted by Rafterman on 30 August, 2014, 12:34
I will disregard this until I read about it in a peer reviewed journal. Here you go: http://www.coywolf.org/publications/

Has 'Beast of Bodmin' mystery been solved ?
7-24-2016
A zoo owner has come forward with information that could help to explain the alien big cat phenomenon.
New metal is four times tougher than titanium
7-24-2016
Scientists have created a brand new type of super-metal by melting together titanium and gold.
Defense firm buys out hoverboard company
7-24-2016
The jet-powered Flyboard Air hoverboard may soon be seeing use in a range of military applications.
Da Vinci's scribbles reveal hidden knowledge
7-23-2016
Sketches demonstrating the laws of friction have been identified within the margins of Da Vinci's notes.
Real-life Pokemon
Posted 7-24-2016 | 1 comment
Are there any animals in the real world that could be considered actual real-life Pokemon ?

Trans-Atlantic solar powered flight
Posted 7-23-2016 | 0 comments
A look at Solar Impulse 2, the aircraft that crossed the Atlantic using the power of the sun.

The Earth from space
Posted 7-22-2016 | 0 comments
A view of our home planet as seen through the EPIC camera on the NOAA's DSCOVR satellite

How are Oreos made ?
Posted 7-21-2016 | 2 comments
A look at the manufacturing processes involved in the creation of Oreo cookies.

Extreme landscapes: Death Valley
Posted 7-20-2016 | 0 comments
A look at Death Valley where, in 1934, temperatures soared to 134 degrees fahrenheit.

Light in Orion
7-23-2016 | Tampa, Florida

Girl with the broken neck
7-23-2016 | Mississippi

Holes in cotton clothing
7-23-2016 | Somerset, UK

Three knocks in the night
6-28-2016 | Cedar City, Utah