Monday, October 23, 2017

Coywolf species appears in North America

Posted on Monday, 25 August, 2014 | Comment icon 21 comments

Coywolves being kept in captivity. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 L. David Mech et al.
A cross between coyotes and wolves has been taking over in some areas of the United States.
Consisting of around 25% wolf DNA, 66% coyote DNA and the rest from domestic dogs, these unusual cross-breeds have been sighted with increasing regularity in several regions including in West Virginia and to the north of the Great Lakes.

Their presence stems from human hunting activity pushing wolf populations north and coyote populations east from the Great Plains, forcing both species together and enabling them to mate and produce hybrid offspring.

With an entirely new genetic make-up than either species when taken individually, these new coywolves are significantly larger than coyotes and possess strong wolf-like jaws.

Their wolf genes also give them an edge in taking down larger prey while their coyote genes help them to adapt to urban environments. They are also adept at hunting together in packs.

Source: Mail Online | Comments (21)

Tags: Coywolves, Coyote, Wolves

Comment icon #12 Posted by Myles on 25 August, 2014, 17:37
I hear and see them all the time here in PA. Have a few on trail cams. A beautiful black one too, weighs at least 70lbs. They are huge, not like a scrawny western coyote. Gorgeous animals. And totally harmless Not really harmless. They will kill small livestock, chickens, dogs and many other small animals.
Comment icon #13 Posted by bobb73 on 25 August, 2014, 18:06
@ Neognosis There's nothing to disregard. Unless these are packs of Canadian Red Wolves on my property, I believe what the PA Game Commision says that these are coyote/wolf hybrids. These are large German Shepard's running around essentially. And yes I mean harmless to humans. They have killed a lot of livestock in the area. And I don't let the shihtzu out at night without me being there. More dangerous than a Bigfoot I suppose
Comment icon #14 Posted by DieChecker on 25 August, 2014, 19:10
This is not really new. There is at least one UM thread about this in 2010 or 2011. I'll see if I can find it. As of 2010, the eastern coyote's genetic makeup is fairly uniform, with minimal influence from the wolves or western coyotes.[5] http://en.wikipedia....f-coyote_hybrid I will disregard this until I read about it in a peer reviewed journal. http://www.easternco...inalInPrint.pdf 2010 Northeastern Naturalist 17(2):189–204 These results indicate that the eastern Coyote should more appropriately be termed “Coywolf” to reflect their hybrid (C. latrans x lycaon) origin. EDIT: UM Thread 2011
Comment icon #15 Posted by Neognosis on 25 August, 2014, 19:26
Comment icon #16 Posted by ROGER on 25 August, 2014, 20:24
Let's capture a few , cross breed them with the chihuahua's that seem to be every where . Then release the little buggers . No longer a BIG problem .
Comment icon #17 Posted by DieChecker on 25 August, 2014, 21:56
Thank you, Diechecker. I've seen these in the adirondacks, though I just though they were large coyotes. Not a problem. You post great stuff.
Comment icon #18 Posted by calaf on 25 August, 2014, 22:56
Not really harmless. They will kill small livestock, chickens, dogs and many other small animals. You mean they kill them and eat them before we get a chance to? b*******!
Comment icon #19 Posted by Myles on 26 August, 2014, 11:42
You mean they kill them and eat them before we get a chance to? b*******! Yep. We are not harmless either. I have chickens. If an animal tries to eat my chicken, I shoot it (or trap it and kill it).
Comment icon #20 Posted by william joseph on 30 August, 2014, 6:46
Wolves and coyotes are the same species. Canines. pugs and chows and german shephards and all breeds of dogs can breed with wolfs and coyotes. They are the same species. My daughter had a half wolf and husky. They are the same species period.
Comment icon #21 Posted by Rafterman on 30 August, 2014, 12:34
I will disregard this until I read about it in a peer reviewed journal. Here you go: http://www.coywolf.org/publications/

Man swims 4.5 miles to escape deadly shark
10-23-2017
Diver John Craig had been spear fishing off the coast of Western Australia when the incident occurred.
Moon photobombs the Sun on NASA images
10-22-2017
Solar observations made by a satellite were interrupted this week when the Moon made a sneaky appearance.
Near-complete tyrannosaur fossil found in Utah
10-22-2017
Palaeontologists have unearthed the skeleton of a meat-eating dinosaur dating back over 76 million years.
Huge magnetic tail discovered behind Mars
10-22-2017
NASA scientists have revealed the existence of an invisible magnetic tail trailing behind the Red Planet.
One hundred million crabs
Posted 10-21-2017 | 2 comments
Christmas Island red crabs migrate in extreme numbers in this vintage BBC clip.

Recreating your face from DNA
Posted 10-18-2017 | 0 comments
Is it possible to determine someone's appearance from a sample of their DNA ?

Schlieren imaging in color
Posted 10-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at Schlieren imaging - a technique that can help to visualize tiny differences in air.

Glowing creatures of the deep
Posted 10-15-2017 | 0 comments
This vintage clip sees Sir David Attenborough descending in to the dark depths of the sea.

Slow motion pellet split
Posted 10-14-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt to split an air gun pellet with a knife to pop two balloons.

Haunted military house
10-23-2017 | New Zealand

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom

Ghost playing with a balloon?
10-18-2017 | Australia

Impossible phone call
10-18-2017 | West Virginia

Seeing cats
10-18-2017 | Santa Rosa

Fourth of July UFO show
10-18-2017 | Hillsboro ND

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland