Wednesday, June 28, 2017

'Pig perfume' helps stop dogs misbehaving

Posted on Tuesday, 26 August, 2014 | Comment icon 20 comments

Will pig perfume be the next big dog accessory ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Robert Simmons
A new type of fragrance based on the smell of male pigs has a remarkable calming effect on dogs.
For dog owners whose canine companions are proving to be too difficult to handle there is now a new hope in the form of a special perfume that can keep even the most unruly of dogs in check.

Made from a pheromone produced in the fat and saliva of male pigs, the unusual fragrance was formulated by scientist John McGlone while he was trying to find a way to stop his Cairn terrier Toto from barking incessantly.

According to MgGlone just one application of the perfume was enough to keep his dog quiet.

"It was completely serendipitous," he said. "One of the most difficult problems is that dogs bark a lot, and itís one of the top reasons they are given back to shelters or pounds."

The key component of the fragrance is androstenone, a pheremone that makes a male pig more attractive to females. While it doesn't seem to have this effect in dogs it does have the remarkable ability to keep them under control without causing them any harm.

Source: Discovery | Comments (20)

Tags: Dog, Pig

Comment icon #11 Posted by freetoroam on 26 August, 2014, 16:25
Shame they can not find something to spray on the owners who can not be bothered to train their dogs properly. I suppose used only when absolutely necessary, in ref to Michelle`s point, it could be good, but hope this will not be the new way to keep the dogs under control all the time by some owners as opposed to taking them out for a walk and giving them proper training.
Comment icon #12 Posted by OverSword on 26 August, 2014, 16:57
I have a friend with an un-neutered dog that is overly willful, barks too much, and if he likes you want's to hump you. It's a 95 lb pit bull and is a very intimidating dog. He's less of a dog and more like a force of nature. He could really use this but my friend babies him so much I just know he's going to get offended when I send him this article.
Comment icon #13 Posted by pallidin on 26 August, 2014, 17:29
When they develop a pheromone-based cologne that makes girls irresistable to me, I will be impressed, and first in line...
Comment icon #14 Posted by odiesbsc on 26 August, 2014, 19:54
I wonder what would happen if you sprayed this stuff on a Muslim.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Duchess Gummybuns on 26 August, 2014, 23:09
So, this stuff stops your dog from being a HAM? I-I...I tried.
Comment icon #16 Posted by coolguy on 27 August, 2014, 3:28
My dog just sits on the stoop and barks at the wind lol
Comment icon #17 Posted by shrooma on 27 August, 2014, 8:06
aah, bacon. is there NOTHING it can't cure..... . (jews & muslims take note. one bacon sarnie would end the gaza problem.....) ;-)
Comment icon #18 Posted by Lilly on 28 August, 2014, 11:57
Comment icon #19 Posted by Eldorado on 28 August, 2014, 12:02
Will this work on my girlfriend? Your gf jumps frantically on house guests? When can I visit?
Comment icon #20 Posted by Lilly on 28 August, 2014, 12:22
Your gf jumps frantically on house guests? When can I visit? LOL!

'Willy Wonka' elevator has become a reality
6-28-2017
German company ThyssenKrupp has developed an elevator that can go horizontally as well as vertically.
NASA denies alien life announcement claim
6-27-2017
NASA has played down the suggestion that it is on the verge of announcing the discovery of alien life.
Mobile phones can reduce your brain power
6-27-2017
Scientists have determined that merely having your phone nearby can reduce your capacity to concentrate.
Georgia police officers stop speeding 'alien'
6-27-2017
When the cops pulled over a car in Alpharetta this week they discovered a rather unusual passenger.
20 years of Mars exploration
Posted 6-28-2017 | 1 comment
A look back at NASA's robotic exploration of the Red Planet over the last two decades.

Can you remember this ?
Posted 6-27-2017 | 0 comments
A look at the surprisingly common psychological phenomenon of false memories.

Spider shoots 25-meter web
Posted 6-26-2017 | 0 comments
The Darwin's Bark Spider is a real-life spiderwoman with a gigantic river-spanning web.

Longest marble run
Posted 6-25-2017 | 2 comments
This record-breaking marble run in Elgg, Switzerland stretched 1,918.12 meters through the town.

Predicting disasters
Posted 6-24-2017 | 0 comments
Richard A. Clarke talks about the ways in which catastrophes can be predicted in advance.

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI

Craig is here
6-10-2017 | Phoenix AZ

We saw the same thing!
6-10-2017 | Pooler, GA

Three female faces
6-5-2017 | Illinois (IL)

Encounter at 3:33 AM
6-5-2017 | Budapest

Trade school terror
5-26-2017 | Cedro woolley, Wa.