Thursday, July 27, 2017

Elon Musk reveals vision for city on Mars

Posted on Thursday, 15 June, 2017 | Comment icon 10 comments

Will mankind one day live and work on the surface of another world ? Image Credit: NASA
The SpaceX CEO has been working towards his goal of seeing mankind become an interplanetary species.
Musk's plans to send humans to Mars have been in the pipeline for some time now.

With a robotic mission scheduled for as early as 2024 and the first manned mission set to happen soon afterwards, there is a chance that SpaceX may even manage to beat NASA's timetable.

But what happens after that ? According to Musk, the plan will be to found a fully-fledged Martian city that would enable mankind to escape the confines of the Earth for the first time.

"It would be quite fun to be on Mars because you would have gravity that is about 37 percent of that of Earth, so you would be able to lift heavy things and bound around," he said.

"Furthermore, the day is remarkably close to that of Earth. We just need to change the populations because currently we have seven billion people on Earth and none on Mars."

Actually going about building such a settlement however would be a momentous challenge, not only in terms of the technologies required but also due to the problem of cost.

"You cannot create a self-sustaining civilization if the ticket price is $10 billion per person," he said.

The SpaceX CEO even has plans that go beyond Mars and out in to the solar system.

"By establishing a propellant depot, say on Enceladus or Europa, and then establishing another one on Titan, Saturn's moon, and then perhaps another one further out on Pluto or elsewhere in the solar system, this system really gives you the freedom to go anywhere you want," he said.

Source: Newsweek | Comments (10)

Tags: Mars, SpaceX

Comment icon #1 Posted by Stiff on 15 June, 2017, 18:33
The more I read about his ideas, the more respect he gains from me. Eccentricity aside, he's a true visionary. You've just got to admire the guy.
Comment icon #2 Posted by kartikg on 15 June, 2017, 22:25
andwhenhumanitysucceds itwillbetheresultof seedssownbypeoplelikehim .
Comment icon #3 Posted by torchwoodchi on 15 June, 2017, 22:36
I'm so tired of Elon Musk, and everyone acting like he's some visionary. First, he didn't invent solar panels. Although, his solar panel company is hemorrhaging money. Second, he didn't invent hybrid cars. Although, he did take billions in government subsidies(our money) and make cars for the rich(while hemorrhaging money). Third, his vision for Mars isn't any more visionary than a dozen sci-fi writers, or movie-makers. Finally, I will give some credit for Space-X's limited success. Although, he didn't invent space rockets that can deliver payloads, either. Jules Vernes was more Visionary than... [More]
Comment icon #4 Posted by Captain Risky on 16 June, 2017, 1:45
Living inside a protective bubble on another planet isn't my idea of living. But hey... each to his own.
Comment icon #5 Posted by taniwha on 16 June, 2017, 4:18
It's a nightmare to consider any problems going wrong with the main structures or infrastructure on such a remote planet. It really would be a disaster waiting to happen, we are earth creatures nothing more.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Noxasa on 16 June, 2017, 6:09
I have to agree with those that are tired of hearing from Musk in areas where he has little to no expertise. He's a businessman, not a visionary...at least not any more a visionary than you or I. Most of his original ideas aren't profitable or practical and some are just downright bad (i.e. Hyperloop.) I'm sure there's a reason he feels he needs to claim to be a visionary and I'm sure it has something to do with megalomania, but for those that don't worship people for personality but respect them for knowledge, Musk just doesn't cut it. At least not in my eyes.
Comment icon #7 Posted by mysticwerewolf on 16 June, 2017, 7:03
I'm not worried about it, it won't happen in my lifetime and even if it somehow managed to happen while I was still around I am not smart enough to be needed or wanted in a colony out there somewhere
Comment icon #8 Posted by highdesert50 on 16 June, 2017, 12:20
Elon Musk is a leader. He is able to share a vision, elicit support, take risks, and bring about change.
Comment icon #9 Posted by paperdyer on 16 June, 2017, 15:45
And for what could happen after we colonize Mars, watch SyFy's "The Expanse". A lot of the show is a stretch of technology, but I can see this happening, especially with human nature.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Derek Willis on 16 June, 2017, 15:55
Whether he is a visionary or not, Musk and his team have created over 40,000 jobs in the various corporations he is involved with.

3,500-year-old lunch box found in Swiss Alps
7-26-2017
An extraordinarily well-preserved lunch box has been discovered on Switzerland's Lotschberg mountain.
1962 'thing in the woods' was CIA spy camera
7-26-2017
A mystery spanning over 55 years has finally been solved thanks to newly released CIA documents.
Giant black swan once roamed New Zealand
7-26-2017
Scientists have found evidence of a huge, hulking semi-flightless swan that went extinct 500 years ago.
Time is key to happiness, new study claims
7-25-2017
According to researchers, stressing out over a lack of time is a leading cause of anxiety and depression.
Augmented reality
Posted 7-26-2017 | 1 comment
A look at a new technology that superimposes computer-generated images over the real world.

Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

Stretchy batteries
Posted 7-23-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists have come up with a way to make batteries and their cases stretchy.

Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 1 comment

Dolphins beach themselves to catch fish
Posted 7-21-2017 | 0 comments

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI