Wednesday, August 10, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Palaeontology > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Palaeontology

Did prehistoric man feed on pandas ?

October 16, 2012 | Comment icon 26 comments

Image Credit: Fernando Revilla
Excavated panda fossils hold clues suggesting that our ancestors may have viewed pandas as a food source.
These days pandas are a protected species, with only 1,600 of them left in the wild the Chinese government are doing everything they can to preserve and study the animals. But it wasn't always this way. Between 10,000 to 1 million years ago pandas would have been plentiful in China's high mountains and fossil evidence suggests that prehistoric man may have found them to be a convenient source of nourishment.

Scientist Wei Guangbiao believes that the discovery of panda fossils showing signs of damage from human weapons proves that man would have once feasted on them. "In primitive times, people wouldn't kill animals that were useless to them," he said.
China's beloved national symbol -- the panda -- may have been seen quite differently by ancient humans: as food. Scientist Wei Guangbiao says prehistoric man ate pandas in an area that is now part of the city of Chongqing in southwest China.

Source: Fox News | Comments (26)

Comment icon #17 Posted by spud the mackem 10 years ago
I wonder what panda tastes like, and do you have to cook it all the way through? Tastes like Bamboo shoots,thats all they eat.
Comment icon #18 Posted by MJNYC 10 years ago
Eldorado, I'm with you. I'd go to prison too. And totally agree on the horses. So disgusting. I don't eat my friends
Comment icon #19 Posted by glorybebe 10 years ago
I'd go to prison for murder if someone ate my dog. It's one thing if they went to the market and bought a dog, but to catch a dog that could be a person's pet? Nasty buggers. On topic....this is a no brainer to me. Prehistoric man would have eaten anything that moved in order to survive. Why would pandas be any different?
Comment icon #20 Posted by Sundew 10 years ago
Well people eat black bear, so this is hardly a surprise; people eat whatever they have to to survive. From what I have read you can eat any mammal species once cooked, with the exception of polar bear liver which contains such high levels of vitamin A that it is poisonous. This is not to say that everything will taste good or that you would even want to eat it (I'm thinking skunk here). The fact that the giant panda is almost entirely vegetarian probably would make it taste better than black bear, which I have never tried but is supposed to be very gamey. While the panda has few natural enemi... [More]
Comment icon #21 Posted by Wyrdlight 10 years ago
Id happily eat a panda, I consider them pointless and annoying beasts.
Comment icon #22 Posted by Junior Chubb 10 years ago
Prehistoric man ate Pandas, and why not. I don't think they had the options we have today, luckily for them they did not have PETA either... Eating Panda now would be a shocker, back then it may have been a necessity. BTW Did you hear about the Gigolo Panda.........? He eats, shoots and leaves.
Comment icon #23 Posted by Idano 10 years ago
PETA=Panda eating terrible ancestors Eats shoots and leaves...Oh Chubb
Comment icon #24 Posted by NikkiAidyn 10 years ago
I would've never thought about eating pandas. -scratches chin- I too wonder how they taste.
Comment icon #25 Posted by wolfknight 10 years ago
I bet prehistoric ate a lot of things we don't want to know about.
Comment icon #26 Posted by Junior Chubb 10 years ago
It would be more fun to think prehistoric pandas ate man, before choosing a vegetarian lifestyle...

Total Posts: 7,310,727    Topics: 300,763    Members: 197,966