Tuesday, February 20, 2018

48-year-old man believes he is a dog

Posted on Saturday, 9 November, 2013 | Comment icon 51 comments

Some would say Mathews takes his fascination with dogs a little too far. Image Credit: sxc.hu
Gary Matthews spends much of his time dressed up in a dog costume and going by the name 'boomer'.
The retired technology worker is such a fan of dogs that he goes to great lengths to look and behave like one. Wearing a collar along with his oversized dog costume made from strips of shredded paper, Mathews can often be found wandering around Pittsburgh barking at cars and digging holes.

"When I go out, I get the feeling and I wave to people as a dog," he said. "I go to local festivals because kids like the costume. That's my way of reaching out to people and spreading the word that I can be myself in life. They see that you can have fun in adulthood. But I am kind of a loner dog."

Despite enjoying regular human food most of the time, Mathews sometimes indulges with a meal of dog food scoffed from an actual dog bowl. "I don't eat dog food every day," he said. "It's a special thing for me to do once in awhile to get closer to feeling like a canine. I eat the canned kind. It's not bad -- it tastes OK. I eat regular human food, too, like pizza."

Having been featured on the National Geographic special "Extreme Anthromorphism: Boomer the Dog", Mathews has become something of a celebrity in his niche. The name "Boomer" originated with a TV shows called "Here's Boomer" that ran from 1979 to 1982 and his obsession with all things dog-like began when he saw Disney's "101 Dalmatians" and "The Shaggy Dog" when he was a child.

Source: Yahoo! News | Comments (51)

Tags: Dog

Comment icon #42 Posted by gatekeeper32 on 10 November, 2013, 15:36
Any chance of calling the hypnotist back?
Comment icon #43 Posted by Lava_Lady on 11 November, 2013, 0:03
The title of this article, "... Man Thinks He's a Dog..." is pretty misleading since he doesn't think he's a dog at all. He just likes to dress up as a dog and wants to live a dog like life. Yes, a bit weird but, if he actually thought he was a dog he wouldn't be able to answer questions for the article or carry on with the activities of daily living that are specifically human... lol I think he's just an eccentric man with too much time on his hands or would be paws.
Comment icon #44 Posted by Robert1 on 11 November, 2013, 0:37
I like dogs...I really like dogs. However, I've never/ever wanted to *be* a dog. IMO this fellow is more than a few kibbles short of a complete bag of dogfood. I agree. This guy really has some issues to deal with.
Comment icon #45 Posted by Calibeliever on 11 November, 2013, 19:41
Wonder what he does for a living? A roofer? What's his favorite vegetable? Collie Flower? I could go on ...
Comment icon #46 Posted by OverSword on 11 November, 2013, 19:58
Comment icon #47 Posted by The New Richard Nixon on 11 November, 2013, 20:08
I do hope this man never starts dating. i can see where that comment is going
Comment icon #48 Posted by Kelevra on 14 November, 2013, 1:51
Some people here are judging Boomer too harshly. The guy want's to be like a dog. Who's that hurting. Good for him. Depends on who's leg he's near when he goes into heat.
Comment icon #49 Posted by Lilly on 14 November, 2013, 2:14
Depends on who's leg he's near when he goes into heat. FYI, only female dogs go into heat. Male dogs then mindlessly pursue the female dog (I suspect that was what you had in mind).
Comment icon #50 Posted by Kelevra on 14 November, 2013, 2:30
I did, my new pup just went into heat for the first time this past month, so she's got me just slinging the word around everywhere/
Comment icon #51 Posted by homo.liberis on 27 November, 2013, 19:16
A likely tail!

Message in a bottle mystery sparks new hunt
2-19-2018
The son of a man who found a message in a bottle 60 years ago is now searching for the author's relatives.
Mystery of deadly Roman 'Gate to Hell' solved
2-19-2018
Scientists have determined what made the notorious Roman cave so deadly to those who ventured inside.
Hunt for Earth 2.0 yields 95 new exoplanets
2-18-2018
A renewed hunt for Earth-like worlds has yielded a haul of 95 previously undiscovered extrasolar planets.
Scientists create human-sheep hybrid embryos
2-18-2018
The research aims to solve donor organ shortages by making it possible to grow human organs inside sheep.
Big Bang vs Big Bounce
Posted 2-16-2018 | 0 comments
Was there another universe here before our own universe came in to existence ?

The Leaning Tower of Lire
Posted 2-12-2018 | 0 comments
Vsauce returns with a thought-provoking video about the problem of stacking blocks.

How did the dinosaurs die ?
Posted 2-8-2018 | 1 comment
A look at the devastating events that preceded the extinction of the dinosaurs.

World's longest bicycle
Posted 2-5-2018 | 2 comments
This ridiculous bicycle measures 41.42 meters in length and took nine months to put together.

The British flying Jeep
Posted 2-3-2018 | 0 comments
The British military reportedly developed a prototype flying car all the way back in 1942.

Black hole in Bismarck
2-14-2018 | Mandan

Trapped and chased
2-9-2018 | Saskatchewan canada

Someone calling my name
2-9-2018 | Budd Lake NJ

Strange feeling
1-18-2018 | Different places

Unexplained voices
1-18-2018 | United States

First college apartment
12-31-2017 | Daytona Beach, FL

The night my niece was murdered
12-19-2017 | Delhi, Louisiana