Thursday, August 18, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Bizarre > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Bizarre

Woman walks off pier while glued to phone

December 19, 2013 | Comment icon 25 comments

Mobiles take up a lot of attention these days. Image Credit: sxc.hu
A young woman in Australia was so engrossed with Facebook on her phone that she walked off a pier.
Those who spend a great deal of time browsing the web or sending messages on their mobiles may find themselves losing track of the outside world once in a while, but in an incident in Australia this week one tourist succeeded in taking this to a whole new level.

The woman had been walking along St Kilda's pier in Melbourne when, utterly engrossed with her mobile, she failed to see the edge and simply walked straight off the pier and in to the sea below.
By the time rescue services managed to retrieve her the woman had been in the water for close to 20 minutes. When she was pulled out rescuers found that she was still clutching her phone.

"She had a mobile phone in one of her hands and when we brought her onboard one of the first things she did was apologise and say sorry," said Senior Constable Dean Kelly.

She was later taken to hospital for a check-up but seemed to be no worse for wear despite her ordeal.

Source: Sky News | Comments (25)

Comment icon #16 Posted by Eldorado 9 years ago
everyone being so obsessed with their little gadgets should get shoved into the pier! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPW8xmI4w6U lol
Comment icon #17 Posted by WhyDontYouBeliEveMe 9 years ago
its seriously dangerous !
Comment icon #18 Posted by freetoroam 9 years ago
We need to build more piers and fountains.
Comment icon #19 Posted by Duchess Gummybuns 9 years ago
"Oh, yeah.... Yeah, life's good.... Hang on, I think there's a pier nearby.... Ah, I'll ignore it. So, anywa-" The last thing she said before she dun goofed. Seriously. How could you NOT see a pier right in front of you? You have to be so attached to electronics not to see it.
Comment icon #20 Posted by Princess Serenity 9 years ago
Comment icon #21 Posted by Jacques Terreur 9 years ago
People need to stop looking down at their phones when they are walking. I rarely look at my phone unless I have messages, checking the time, and to see if anyone called me. -.-; People are going to have neck problems by having their head down all the time! the whole phenomenon turns me into two things: 1) my own gramps: because i get seriously annoyed by people in the streets being stuck to their gadgets (inner fist-shaking and thinking "damn you kids!!") 2) a major dick: i caught myself several times bumping deliberately into people coming towards me and not paying attention. maybe i could be... [More]
Comment icon #22 Posted by coolguy 9 years ago
Wow so she did take a long walk off a short pier. Any way I hope she won't do this agin
Comment icon #23 Posted by cyclopes500 9 years ago
Comment icon #24 Posted by Jacques Terreur 9 years ago
GOOD JOB SHE WASN'T DRIVING A SPEEDBOAT. IF SHE HAD BEEN THEN IN THEORY SHE COULD HAVE KILLED AND INJURED A LOT OF PEOPLE. CROWD OF YOUNG KIDS. HIGH SPEED BOAT WITH SHARP BOW. SHARP PROPELLER. IT'D MAKE A RIGHT MESS I RECKON IF IT HIT A PACKED OUT BEACH. THAT'S TRUE! BUT TYPING LIKE THIS MAKES IT LOOK LIKE YOU'RE SCREAAAAAAAMIIIIIIING!!!!!! IS THERE A SPEEDBOAT APPROACHING??? COVEEEEERRRR!!!!
Comment icon #25 Posted by Adirondack-Bob 9 years ago
Too funny! Here's a woman so engrossed in her texting she stumbled right into a water fountain in the mall. Guess where she works?

Total Posts: 7,314,956    Topics: 300,979    Members: 198,025