Thursday, February 22, 2018

Scientists film how brain makes memories

Posted on Wednesday, 29 January, 2014 | Comment icon 8 comments

The human brain remains an enigma we barely understand. Image Credit: sxc.hu
For the first time ever, researchers have caught on video the process responsible for memory formation.
The remarkable footage depicts the complex processes of memory formation which involve changes to the molecular structures and synaptic transmissions of the brain.

One of the biggest challenges was making the neurons visible enough to record. Researchers at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine at Yeshiva University managed to solve this by tagging certain molecules with fluorescent markers.

"This observation that neurons selectively activate protein synthesis and then shut it off fits perfectly with how we think memories are made," said lead researcher Robert Singer. "Frequent stimulation of the neuron would make mRNA available in frequent, controlled bursts, causing beta-actin protein to accumulate precisely where it's needed to strengthen the synapse."

Source: io9.com | Comments (8)

Tags: Memory, Brain

Comment icon #1 Posted by Calibeliever on 29 January, 2014, 18:06
How soon before you can copy my brain to a sotrage device? We're running out of time guys.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Xynoplas on 29 January, 2014, 19:04
Comment icon #3 Posted by Calibeliever on 29 January, 2014, 19:49
I hate how science writers feel they have to put extra spin on stories: "It kind of sounds like a computer storing data bits into a hard drive!" "If there's a soul, this how it gets made." So does my computer have a soul? Help me figure this one out... Not yet, I would think. Then again, what is thinking? Slippery slope
Comment icon #4 Posted by zillarancher on 29 January, 2014, 20:21
Science is freaking insane.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Rhino666 on 30 January, 2014, 13:15
I want to see what a dirty thought looks like.
Comment icon #6 Posted by RazielKTB on 31 January, 2014, 11:40
Since public hears about inovations about 30 year latter, it is probably that tech to download ones soul already exists
Comment icon #7 Posted by FizzPuff on 2 February, 2014, 3:53
That is actually pretty cool!For some reason I can see people wanting to mess with this after they've found enough information on this.
Comment icon #8 Posted by spacecowboy342 on 2 February, 2014, 3:56
I hate how science writers feel they have to put extra spin on stories: "It kind of sounds like a computer storing data bits into a hard drive!" "If there's a soul, this how it gets made." So does my computer have a soul? Help me figure this one out... I don't think my computer has a soul, but I don't think I do either. I do think they will soon have pictures of thoughts being produced.

How did the Egyptians align the Great Pyramid?
2-21-2018
Archaeologist and engineer Glen Dash has worked out how such a precise alignment was achieved.
Pair of ancient Roman boxing gloves unearthed
2-21-2018
The well-preserved gloves were discovered during the excavation of a Roman fort on Hadrian's Wall.
'World's loneliest tree' records new epoch
2-21-2018
A solitary tree on an island in New Zealand may hold the key to determining the beginning of the Anthropocene.
Mystery of Edinburgh's green river solved
2-20-2018
Concerns were raised recently when a river in the Scottish capital turned a disconcerting shade of green.
The real story of Galileo
Posted 2-20-2018 | 0 comments
Exactly why was legendary astronomer Galileo Galilei convicted of heresy ?

Big Bang vs Big Bounce
Posted 2-16-2018 | 0 comments
Was there another universe here before our own universe came in to existence ?

The Leaning Tower of Lire
Posted 2-12-2018 | 0 comments
Vsauce returns with a thought-provoking video about the problem of stacking blocks.

Black hole in Bismarck
2-14-2018 | Mandan

Trapped and chased
2-9-2018 | Saskatchewan canada

Someone calling my name
2-9-2018 | Budd Lake NJ

Strange feeling
1-18-2018 | Different places

Unexplained voices
1-18-2018 | United States

First college apartment
12-31-2017 | Daytona Beach, FL

The night my niece was murdered
12-19-2017 | Delhi, Louisiana