Thursday, April 26, 2018

Flatulent cows cause methane gas explosion

Posted on Wednesday, 29 January, 2014 | Comment icon 29 comments

Cows can output up to 500 liters of methane gas per day. Image Credit: Keith Weller/USDA
A herd of cows managed to cause a significant gas explosion on a dairy farm in Rasdorf, Germany.
Police investigating the peculiar incident concluded that a stray spark of static electricity had ignited a concentrated area of methane gas produced by the flatulent behavior of around 90 dairy cows. The subsequent explosion blew the roof off the building and injured one of the animals.

Cows are well known for their rather excessive production of methane, with some experts estimating that a single cow can produce anywhere between 100 and 500 liters of the volatile gas each day.

So significant is the problem in fact that some scientists believe methane emissions from cows have been a contributing factor in global warming.

Source: Huffington Post | Comments (29)

Tags: Cows, Methane, Explosion

Comment icon #20 Posted by Awake2Chaos on 30 January, 2014, 14:07
There are so many rare steak jokes......okay, no I won't go there. Too bad they didn't think to salvage that gas....coulda cooked with that for a month! (I'm being serious; http://www.wisconsin...ethane_gas.aspx )
Comment icon #21 Posted by Child of Bast on 30 January, 2014, 15:54
At least they didn't blame the farts on the family dog.
Comment icon #22 Posted by Princess Serenity on 31 January, 2014, 3:36
Beware the cow butt. It's powerful stuff, man.
Comment icon #23 Posted by JGirl on 31 January, 2014, 3:40
those crazy madcap cows!
Comment icon #24 Posted by justcalmebubba on 1 February, 2014, 22:30
cow farts its the new fuel for the new america so save gas fart in a jar
Comment icon #25 Posted by FizzPuff on 2 February, 2014, 3:35
Times like this I wish I was witty enough to come up with some puns.
Comment icon #26 Posted by cedarcarver1 on 4 February, 2014, 4:45
Lolololol! I've said this in another area, but, "Thank Goodness no one was injured! It'd be another tragedy for one or more of these bovines to be indicted for 'Moooo-der'." (there! I've said it! now I'm happy!)
Comment icon #27 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 11 February, 2014, 16:14
Cow-Pow! I couldn't resist.
Comment icon #28 Posted by Hawkin on 15 February, 2014, 16:41
Comment icon #29 Posted by coldethyl on 22 February, 2014, 20:05
I have a propane tank. I wonder if I can convert to methane by running a hose to my tank to a cows butt and fill the tank. Yes, do this.

Fossil footprints hint at giant sloth chase
4-26-2018
New evidence has been discovered to suggest that our ancestors hunted down giant prehistoric sloths.
Was ancient 'hashtag' the first human symbol?
4-25-2018
Hashtag-like etchings found on a rock in South Africa's Blombos Cave are thought to be over 100,000 years old.
'World's largest mosquito' discovered in China
4-25-2018
A Chinese entomologist found the insect, which has a wingspan of 11.5cm, during a field trip last year.
New 'Noah's Ark' will store DNA of complex life
4-24-2018
The ambitious BioGenome Project aims to sequence and store the genomes of more than 1.5 million species.
Could you survive a nuclear bomb ?
Posted 4-24-2018 | 0 comments
If someone dropped an atomic bomb on a city, what would be your chances of survival ?

What does space smell like ?
Posted 4-23-2018 | 0 comments
Does the vacuum of space actually smell of anything and if so, what ?

Why is US paper money green ?
Posted 4-22-2018 | 0 comments
Simon Whistler investigates why the color green was used when printing US bank notes.

Revealing the secrets of the deep ocean
Posted 4-19-2018 | 0 comments
Scientist Mandy Joye has dedicated her life to exploring the depths of the world's oceans.

Giant 3D-printed man
Posted 4-15-2018 | 2 comments
British YouTuber James Bruton has created a giant 3D-printed sculpture of himself.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA