Saturday, April 21, 2018

Woman gains drawing ability after head injury

Posted on Friday, 21 March, 2014 | Comment icon 11 comments

Experts have been unable to explain the phenomenon. Image Credit: sxc.hu
Up until the accident Pip Taylor was almost completely useless at drawing and sketching.
The 49-year-old had always enjoyed drawing but was never very good at it with even her teachers at school recommending against pursuing a career in art. This would all change however when Taylor fell down some stairs at a race track two years ago and sustained serious bruising to her brain.

Incredibly, while recovering from the ordeal at home she picked up a sketchpad and discovered that she was suddenly able to draw really well. Instead of the amateurish sketches of her past she found she could create detailed and highly realistic pencil drawings.

"It is just extraordinary. I have always loved drawing but I was never any good," she said. "It felt really natural in a way it hadn't before. I began to realize I had a real skill in being able to copy things accurately."

Concerned that the ability might not last, Taylor is now drawing as much as possible while she still can. Medical experts have expressed caution over her story but are unable to explain how her brain injury could have resulted in such a remarkable talent.

Source: New York Daily News | Comments (11)

Tags: Brain

Comment icon #2 Posted by Eldorado on 19 March, 2014, 22:37
Exact same thing happened to me! Kinda. A p***-artist I became.
Comment icon #3 Posted by coldethyl on 19 March, 2014, 23:19
That's really wild. I've heard of people with head injuries suddenly discovering abilities they never had before. It's like it opens a part of the brain they couldn't access before. Nothing paranormal, but interesting to look into.
Comment icon #4 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 21 March, 2014, 12:45
Comment icon #5 Posted by YukiEsmaElite0 on 21 March, 2014, 12:48
Comment icon #6 Posted by Ryu on 21 March, 2014, 12:58
I only draw in the Japanese style (anime/manga), and I'm rather good at it. I always have been. I think she must have had that talent in the first place, she just never used it... but why use it now? Maybe I'm just too skeptic~ I'd like to do so as well but don't have real use for it other than a mere hobby so I don't bother much but I agree with you that she may have had the talent already but simply needed to apply it in a different manner. I just hope this story won't inspire a bunch of "Monkey see, money do" mentality to start diving head first down stairwells in hope of superpowers. Ugh. ... [More]
Comment icon #7 Posted by Calibeliever on 21 March, 2014, 14:30
We're such delicate machines aren't we? It's amazing what's locked in our brains. At least it was something tangible and not psychic abilities like the guy last week. I'm gald something good came out of such a tough break.
Comment icon #8 Posted by DecoNoir on 21 March, 2014, 17:39
She's actually pretty good! However I would very much like to see how old the "before" picture is. For all we know it could have been from 20 years ago. If anything, the knock on her head could have simply improved her ability to focus, which is a prettt big factor in drawing. Plays a big difference for me between simply sketching and working on a commission.
Comment icon #9 Posted by WierdHalfling on 21 March, 2014, 19:59
I go with the 30 years comment as I have found that every time I take a break from Art (3 days to 3 years) whenever I take it up again, it has improved dramatically. That's not saying that the fall had nothing to do with it but that inherent factors could have played a role here. There's no such thing as talent in my books, every skill is hard fought for over years of self application though that doesn't explain prodigies playing Mozart who had no previous trained skills to begin with.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Ryu on 21 March, 2014, 21:02
There's no such thing as talent in my books, every skill is hard fought for over years of self application though that doesn't explain prodigies playing Mozart who had no previous trained skills to begin with. I agree about there being no such thing as talent. Some people may have a particular aptitude for certain skills but like anything else, if it is not used or developed or if the person simply has no use for said aptitude then nothing comes of it. As for so-called "prodigies" I think some may have a "uncanny" ability to remember what they have heard, even in the womb and can play it back ... [More]
Comment icon #11 Posted by Professor T on 21 March, 2014, 22:14
Fascinating...

Work on lunar space station to begin in 2019
4-21-2018
NASA has revealed that its ambitious Lunar Orbital Platform-Gateway will launch as early as 2022.
Cows could end up as world's largest mammals
4-21-2018
Scientists have warned that cows could eventually become the largest remaining mammals on Earth.
New species of 'exploding ant' discovered
4-20-2018
Capable of taking drastic action to protect their colonies, these ants have a rather unusual defense mechanism.
Missing Nazi submarine mystery finally solved
4-20-2018
The wreckage of one of Germany's most advanced U-boats has been discovered off the coast of Denmark.
Revealing the secrets of the deep ocean
Posted 4-19-2018 | 0 comments
Scientist Mandy Joye has dedicated her life to exploring the depths of the world's oceans.

Giant 3D-printed man
Posted 4-15-2018 | 2 comments
British YouTuber James Bruton has created a giant 3D-printed sculpture of himself.

The world's roundest object
Posted 4-12-2018 | 2 comments
A look at how the roundest object can help us to define the humble kilogram.

Do fish talk to each other ?
Posted 4-10-2018 | 11 comments
Fish might seem silent, but in actual fact they make a wide range of different sounds.

The great Jaffa Cake debate
Posted 4-8-2018 | 4 comments
Revisiting the age-old question - is the humble Jaffa Cake a cake or a biscuit ?

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA