Saturday, April 21, 2018

Russian sleep epidemic baffles scientists

Posted on Monday, 2 June, 2014 | Comment icon 49 comments

Several dozen people have been affected to date. Image Credit: Nikolai Kuznetsov
Dozens of people in two remote Russian villages have been falling asleep for up to six days at a time.
The abandoned Soviet town of Krasnogorsk and the village of Kalachi in Kazakhstan have been the site of a peculiar malady that has seen up to 60 people mysteriously falling asleep and failing to wake up for days.

"I was milking cows, as usual, early in the morning, and fell asleep," said milkmaid Marina Felk. "I remember nothing at all, only that when I came round I was in a hospital ward."

Scientists have conducted over 7,000 experiments on everything from the blood of those afflicted to the soil outside but have been unable to conclusively explain what's happening.

Some of the locals have become so used to the problem that they've even taken to keeping a bag packed at all times in case they wake up in hospital.

"In the morning, I wanted to finish my work," said Alexey Gom who was visiting his mother-in-law. "I switched on my laptop, opened the pages that I needed to finish reading - and that was it. It felt like somebody pressed a button to switch me off."

Comments (49)

Tags: Russia, Sleep

Comment icon #40 Posted by ancient astronaut on 17 December, 2014, 17:06
Maybe because that's all there is to do there?????
Comment icon #41 Posted by Thisisweird on 17 December, 2014, 18:14
Could it be something to do with misquotes or other bugs, or maybe even something in there blood
Comment icon #42 Posted by skookum on 18 December, 2014, 1:04
Very sad, looking at they place they don't have much but their health. Doesn't look like their health is up to much either so maybe the authorities should do the right thing and move them and demolish what is left.
Comment icon #43 Posted by Atuke on 18 December, 2014, 4:06
Comment icon #44 Posted by praetorian-legio XIII on 19 December, 2014, 16:01
Out on a limb time...... They're not really sleeping. They are metaphysically existing in a parallel universe offering them more pleasure, comfort, happiness than their actual town. In a sense they escape to "Xanadu". And they can only remain there until such time as their physical bodies require maintenance. Where do I sign up?
Comment icon #45 Posted by ttownvstrom on 23 December, 2014, 22:02
It seems to me if somebody slept for 6 days the would die unless some how they had water, maybe by IV. Also I need to go to the bathroom every so often, 6 days your bladder would burst.
Comment icon #46 Posted by Ralaman on 26 December, 2014, 23:23
Go to Mexico....this is no "epidemic".
Comment icon #47 Posted by Izees on 5 February, 2015, 22:01
Comment icon #48 Posted by DaiGer on 6 March, 2015, 4:12
People with insomnia should visit the place.
Comment icon #49 Posted by Rlyeh on 6 March, 2015, 7:01
at time 11:25 " stong rain followed by strong wind...." It sounds like some chemitrail had caused this coma like effect! Sounds nothing like an imaginary chemtrail.

New species of 'exploding ant' discovered
4-20-2018
Capable of taking drastic action to protect their colonies, these ants have a rather unusual defense mechanism.
Missing Nazi submarine mystery finally solved
4-20-2018
The wreckage of one of Germany's most advanced U-boats has been discovered off the coast of Denmark.
Mutation helps Bajau people stay underwater
4-19-2018
In a rare case of natural selection in modern humans, the free-diving Bajau people have developed a larger spleen.
NASA teases plans for nuclear power in space
4-19-2018
The space agency will be revealing new details of its 'Kilopower' system at the beginning of next month.
Revealing the secrets of the deep ocean
Posted 4-19-2018 | 0 comments
Scientist Mandy Joye has dedicated her life to exploring the depths of the world's oceans.

Giant 3D-printed man
Posted 4-15-2018 | 2 comments
British YouTuber James Bruton has created a giant 3D-printed sculpture of himself.

The world's roundest object
Posted 4-12-2018 | 2 comments
A look at how the roundest object can help us to define the humble kilogram.

Do fish talk to each other ?
Posted 4-10-2018 | 11 comments
Fish might seem silent, but in actual fact they make a wide range of different sounds.

The great Jaffa Cake debate
Posted 4-8-2018 | 4 comments
Revisiting the age-old question - is the humble Jaffa Cake a cake or a biscuit ?

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA