Thursday, January 18, 2018

Did male faces evolve to take punches ?

Posted on Tuesday, 10 June, 2014 | Comment icon 58 comments

Early man may have engaged in frequent fist fights. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Cicero Moraes
The facial features of our male ancestors may have been an evolutionary defense against fist fights.
According to a new study, the bones in the face that are most commonly broken in a punch-up saw the greatest increase in strength during our male ancestors' early evolution while our female ancestors saw no such changes.

This suggests that these adaptations were a response to a tendency for males to engage in fist fights, most likely due to violent competition between rivals.

Known as the "protective buttressing hypothesis", the idea has now superseded the previous suggestion that the more robust facial features were in response to a tough diet of seeds and nuts.

"Jaws are one of the most frequent bones to break - and it's not the end of the world now, because we have surgeons, we have modern medicine," said lead author Prof David Carrier.

"But four million years ago, if you broke your jaw, it was probably a fatal injury. You wouldn't be able to chew food... You'd just starve to death."

Source: BBC News | Comments (58)

Tags: Evolution

Comment icon #49 Posted by Junior Chubb on 16 June, 2014, 20:00
Logic behind evolution? Please explain what you mean by this, I am confused. Do you think man has always looked like he does today (bar the fashion)? I did find that strange... No logic in a theory based on logic and observation? Compare that to the other theories that in general rely on faith.
Comment icon #50 Posted by bubblykiss on 18 June, 2014, 18:50
I still am not convinced. I really don't see the logic behind evolution.. honestly.. I read that article and it just didn't make sense to me. Think non-organic evoluition of cars, shoes, clothing, social systems. They start basic and become more advanced as they progress through time. The same happens with living things. Only slower. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Ford_Motor_Company
Comment icon #51 Posted by Leonardo on 18 June, 2014, 19:04
I still am not convinced. I really don't see the logic behind evolution.. honestly.. I read that article and it just didn't make sense to me. It's easy. You want smart kids then have sex with a smart man. If you want ugly kids, then have sex with an ugly man. That's a gross oversimplification, of course, and so not entirely true - but I hope it'll help with the making-of-sense.
Comment icon #52 Posted by psyche101 on 19 June, 2014, 5:21
Vikings were actually surprisingly dandy. Well - doesn't the Lloyds Bank coprolite offer a different impression.........
Comment icon #53 Posted by psyche101 on 19 June, 2014, 5:23
I still am not convinced. I really don't see the logic behind evolution.. honestly.. I read that article and it just didn't make sense to me. Evolution itself, or the OP's claim?
Comment icon #54 Posted by aquatus1 on 19 June, 2014, 9:06
It's easy. You want smart kids then have sex with a smart man. If you want ugly kids, then have sex with an ugly man. That's a gross oversimplification, of course, and so not entirely true - but I hope it'll help with the making-of-sense. Even more disturbing, I remember in a sociology class I took in college, we talked about how 10%-15% of women admitted to adultery with stronger, "manlier" men than their husbands to the point of pregnancy, at which point they went back to being loyal and raising the child with the guy who wasn't as manly, but was financially stable. The teacher also mentione... [More]
Comment icon #55 Posted by hellwyr on 25 June, 2014, 10:39
stupid only because in contemporary society there is the believe that men hit eachother they think it is evolutionary..... and secondly didnt women look the same.
Comment icon #56 Posted by RabidMongoose on 25 June, 2014, 10:49
my science teacher didn't believe in evolution.. she just could never see the logic in it.. and spent the whole time giving us facts on why there isn't such thing.. like one of them was if there was such thing as evolution we could use apes and monkeys hearts as a transplant.. but the pigs heart is actually closer to a humans.. At uni level they do teach people to criticise and question all theories. I didn't do my degree in biology but I bet on the topic of Darwins evolution there's arguments for and against it. At high school you just get taught everything as if it were fact. 95% of society ... [More]
Comment icon #57 Posted by RabidMongoose on 25 June, 2014, 10:59
Even more disturbing, I remember in a sociology class I took in college, we talked about how 10%-15% of women admitted to adultery with stronger, "manlier" men than their husbands to the point of pregnancy, at which point they went back to being loyal and raising the child with the guy who wasn't as manly, but was financially stable. The teacher also mentioned that as many as 30% of men in the US were unwittingly raising children that were not their own, but I don't recall being given a source for that. There does seem to be some concurrence with Kinsey, though. There does seem to be an urge i... [More]
Comment icon #58 Posted by seeder on 25 June, 2014, 11:24
I still am not convinced. I really don't see the logic behind evolution.. honestly.. I read that article and it just didn't make sense to me. Maybe this will help, (and if you click the links there are further simple examples) quote: The yellow bellied three-toed skink (Saiphos equalis) is a lizard of New South Wales, in Australia, that appears to be undergoing the change from laying eggs to live birth. Since these skinks can either lay eggs or give birth, it gives scientists the chance to study the adaptations necessary for live birth. Skink embryos encased in an egg have an extra source of c... [More]

Extreme weather tops 2018's global threats list
1-17-2018
1,000 risk management experts from around the world have outlined this year's top man-made threats.
Man ruptures throat while stifling a sneeze
1-17-2018
As one unfortunate man recently found out, trying to stifle a particularly explosive sneeze is not a good idea.
Is there an iron throne in the Great Pyramid?
1-17-2018
Professor Giulio Magli believes that the pyramid may be home to a throne carved from the core of a meteorite.
Papers found on Blackbeard's ship identified
1-16-2018
Archaeologists have found the answer to one of the Queen Anne's Revenge's most enduring mysteries.
Typing vs handwriting
Posted 1-16-2018 | 2 comments
Is typing on a computer better or worse for your memory then writing on paper ?

Can coding help avoid job automation ?
Posted 1-12-2018 | 0 comments
Taking up coding and technical skills to avoid automation may be counter-productive.

Dinosaur death match
Posted 1-8-2018 | 0 comments
A look at how various dinosaurs might have fared against the predators of their day.

Best records of 2017
Posted 1-4-2018 | 0 comments
A look back at some of the most bizarre and amazing world records of the last year.

Did people really put frogs in milk ?
Posted 1-2-2018 | 0 comments
Is it true that people once put frogs in milk in order to stop it from spoiling ?

First college apartment
12-31-2017 | Daytona Beach, FL

The night my niece was murdered
12-19-2017 | Delhi, Louisiana

Mysterious Headlights
12-10-2017 | Morgan County, Alabama

Possibly a child ghost
12-10-2017 | Edgewater, Maryland

True story about black-eyed kids
12-10-2017 | Portland oregon

Alien or paranormal encounter ?
12-10-2017 | United States