Monday, March 19, 2018

World's oldest man has died aged 111

Posted on Wednesday, 11 June, 2014 | Comment icon 28 comments

Imich receiving his certificate back in April. Image Credit: YouTube / ITN
Chemist and psychic researcher Alexander Imich passed away at a seniors' residence in Manhattan.
The Polish-born supercentenarian had taken over the title of world's oldest man when Italian Arturo Licata, who was also 111, died on April 24th.

Imich attributed his longevity to many things including exercise, a minimal diet and the fact that he didn't drink, but what he assigned the most significance to was the fact that he and his wife, who died in 1986, had never had any children.

"Not like its the Nobel Prize," he said of his extreme age. "I never thought Id be that old." Having been born just 10 months before the Wright Brothers' first historic powered flight, Imich had stated that the greatest invention he had witnessed in his life was the aeroplane.

The title of world's oldest man has now passed to Sakari Momoi of Japan who was born just one day after Imich on February 5th, 1903.

Source: The Globe and Mail | Comments (28)

Tags: Alexander Imich, Oldest Man

Comment icon #19 Posted by TheGreatBeliever on 12 June, 2014, 16:07
They say if scientists rids all diseases we might gain immortality. No more cryonics by then
Comment icon #20 Posted by Calibeliever on 12 June, 2014, 16:42
he never had any children. That may have been part of his secret! Lord knows mine have aged me prematurely! Then again my Grandmother turned 100 last November and is still going strong. Besides having to nap frequently and losing sight in one of her eyes a few years ago she is still pretty spry and enjoys life. I guess if I can still get along at that age and have friends I suppose I'd keep on going if I was able. As my dad said to me a few years ago: "The older I get, the longer I want to live" lol
Comment icon #21 Posted by JGirl on 12 June, 2014, 17:10
it's cool to hear of someone reaching that age, but then i think omg i hope i never do! i have no death wish but i have to admit i'm good to go whenever. i've lived a lot in my 54 years and i'm in no hurry to watch everyone i know drop dead before me
Comment icon #22 Posted by TheSpoonyOne on 12 June, 2014, 21:34
I'm actually surprised the oldest man in the world was only 111, I thought he'd be around 120 for some reason, since that age group tends to be the age you get when you google world's oldest living people. To be honest, living to that age is a curse! He will have lost all his friends and probably outlived his own children! He never had any children, he says that's one of the reasons he'd lived so long. I couldn't even imagine living to be 111! I think it would be amazing though, yeah you would see most of your loved ones die, but man, all the things you would see! I would have loved to just si... [More]
Comment icon #23 Posted by Silent Trinity on 13 June, 2014, 9:08
Well he has clearly lived a full life, think he has missed out though not having kids, as a parent it is always rewarding to watch your kids grow and have them in your life....but as for that being attributed to one of the factors of living so long, I don't buy it personally, if anything your kids inspire you to live longer to spend more time with them, and be part of their lives for as long as possible really, they give you a 'reason to live' if you like. Other than that, nothing but respect for the old guy, may his god go with with him and may he rest in peace.
Comment icon #24 Posted by Mr. ET on 13 June, 2014, 23:49
I love listening to really old folks stories. Bet this guy could have written a book. At least he had a full life.
Comment icon #25 Posted by Black Razz on 14 June, 2014, 2:34
I wish I could live to 100.
Comment icon #26 Posted by Frank Merton on 14 June, 2014, 2:35
My goal is 120. Of course when I get there I will have to reset it.
Comment icon #27 Posted by Mojohand on 16 June, 2014, 13:43
Was he dead when they took the photo?
Comment icon #28 Posted by Duchess Gummybuns on 21 June, 2014, 18:52
Well, he came, he saw, he lived...Ah, uh... He did some things in his life, I know it.

New study hints at 'Oumuamua's origins
Researchers believe that it is very likely that the interstellar asteroid came from a binary star system.
Ghostly figure filmed aboard the HMS Victory
Tony Ferguson had been visiting the historic vessel in Portsmouth when he caught something strange on film.
Giant yellow inflatable duck goes missing
A swimming club in Australia has appealed for ships to keep a look out for its recently escaped mascot.
Could 'super corals' repopulate coral reefs ?
Scientists are attempting to create a breed of coral that is more resistant to the effects of global warming.
Monkeys learn to socialize
Posted 3-18-2018 | 0 comments
These young vervet monkeys must learn to socialize before being released in to the wild.
Why don't birds get frostbite ?
Posted 3-16-2018 | 0 comments
How do birds stop their legs from getting frostbitten during freezing temperatures ?
Most straws in a beard
Posted 3-15-2018 | 2 comments
Kyle Kozemchick stuck 215 straws in to his beard for this bizarre world record attempt.
Michio Kaku on asteroid mining
Posted 3-13-2018 | 1 comment
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku discusses the possibility of mining asteroids in space.
Fastest people in slow motion
Posted 3-12-2018 | 1 comment
A look at the world's fastest card thrower and an amazing fast draw world champion.
Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada
Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA
I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington
Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA