Tuesday, August 16, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Modern Mysteries > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Modern Mysteries

San Clemente mystery dolls case solved

July 25, 2014 | Comment icon 23 comments

The dolls had caused concern among the locals. Image Credit: sxc.hu
Police officers had been called in to investigate after strange dolls started appearing on doorsteps.
Residents were left baffled and concerned when the porcelain dolls, which had started to show up outside homes around the neighborhood, were found to resemble the young girls who happened to live at those addresses.

A total of 11 dolls were left however there were no notes to explain the purpose behind them. "Is it a prank? Is there some specific motivation?" asked Lt. Jeff Hallock.

"Obviously, there’s an indication by some of the parents that the dolls resemble their daughters. Anything that has the potential to involve children causes us some concern."
Investigators were eventually able to trace the dolls back to an adult female who lived in the local area who it was believed had left the dolls as a gesture of goodwill.

Officers concluded that nothing malicious had been intended and the families who had received the dolls have now had their minds put at ease.

"Investigators have concluded that her motivation was out of goodwill and that she intended it as a kind gesture," the police department wrote in a press release.

Source: KTLA | Comments (23)

Comment icon #14 Posted by Calibeliever 8 years ago
Sad commentary on how our society has devolved into a state "paranoid isolationism" where even random acts of kindness are no longer appreciated or perhaps even understood. My thoughts exactly. In a world where we don't talk to our neighbors, misunderstandings are going to happen. It was probably some sweet old woman who wanted to do something nice for the kids and everybody had a kaniption ... glad it wasn't anything malicious though.
Comment icon #15 Posted by ancient astronaut 8 years ago
Annabelle.
Comment icon #16 Posted by maximusnow 8 years ago
Dang! buble buster.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Ryu 8 years ago
My thoughts exactly. In a world where we don't talk to our neighbors, misunderstandings are going to happen. It was probably some sweet old woman who wanted to do something nice for the kids and everybody had a kaniption ... glad it wasn't anything malicious though. Apparently it was a just a woman, a nun I recall, who did it out of good will. I mean, if you look at any doll you might see a vague resemblance to a real kid but what really irked me was how many felt it was "disturbing" because there were no threatening notes. So..someone leaves a pretty doll and people get all hyper because ther... [More]
Comment icon #18 Posted by Zero Fox FK 8 years ago
Uh huh, yeah. The parents have now put their mind at ease. I don't believe that for a second. Dolls are creepy to begin with, I don't need them to resemble my daughter and be given by some creepy lady. I wouldn't be surprised if she was using the dolls as some sort of anti-aging ritual to make herself young again
Comment icon #19 Posted by cenobite 8 years ago
wow what a gracious act, a lovely doll as a gesture of goodwill, she obviously has all her faculties
Comment icon #20 Posted by Rei4ever 8 years ago
Sounds like a Chucky movie!
Comment icon #21 Posted by karmen elektra 8 years ago
Why do the dolls look like the girls, though? Did she make them? I would have just thrown them in the garbage and called it a day, instead of making a big ruckus over them.
Comment icon #22 Posted by Ichihara 8 years ago
good intentions or not, thats weird.
Comment icon #23 Posted by IBelieveWhatIWant 8 years ago
My thoughts exactly. In a world where we don't talk to our neighbors, misunderstandings are going to happen. It was probably some sweet old woman who wanted to do something nice for the kids and everybody had a kaniption ... glad it wasn't anything malicious though. When I was somewhere around 11 or 12. I was walking home from the milk bar when an elderly lady asked me to help bring in her shopping for $5. I wanted to help her but I just couldn't get over the risks involved in doing such a thing. So I went home told my mum and she said it was good what I did but it was sad that no one can be t... [More]

Total Posts: 7,314,035    Topics: 300,925    Members: 198,009