Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Coywolf species appears in North America

Posted on Monday, 25 August, 2014 | Comment icon 21 comments

Coywolves being kept in captivity. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 L. David Mech et al.
A cross between coyotes and wolves has been taking over in some areas of the United States.
Consisting of around 25% wolf DNA, 66% coyote DNA and the rest from domestic dogs, these unusual cross-breeds have been sighted with increasing regularity in several regions including in West Virginia and to the north of the Great Lakes.

Their presence stems from human hunting activity pushing wolf populations north and coyote populations east from the Great Plains, forcing both species together and enabling them to mate and produce hybrid offspring.
With an entirely new genetic make-up than either species when taken individually, these new coywolves are significantly larger than coyotes and possess strong wolf-like jaws.

Their wolf genes also give them an edge in taking down larger prey while their coyote genes help them to adapt to urban environments. They are also adept at hunting together in packs.

Source: Mail Online | Comments (21)

Tags: Coywolves, Coyote, Wolves

Comment icon #12 Posted by Myles on 25 August, 2014, 17:37
I hear and see them all the time here in PA. Have a few on trail cams. A beautiful black one too, weighs at least 70lbs. They are huge, not like a scrawny western coyote. Gorgeous animals. And totally harmless Not really harmless. They will kill small livestock, chickens, dogs and many other small animals.
Comment icon #13 Posted by bobb73 on 25 August, 2014, 18:06
@ Neognosis There's nothing to disregard. Unless these are packs of Canadian Red Wolves on my property, I believe what the PA Game Commision says that these are coyote/wolf hybrids. These are large German Shepard's running around essentially. And yes I mean harmless to humans. They have killed a lot of livestock in the area. And I don't let the shihtzu out at night without me being there. More dangerous than a Bigfoot I suppose
Comment icon #14 Posted by DieChecker on 25 August, 2014, 19:10
This is not really new. There is at least one UM thread about this in 2010 or 2011. I'll see if I can find it. As of 2010, the eastern coyote's genetic makeup is fairly uniform, with minimal influence from the wolves or western coyotes.[5] http://en.wikipedia....f-coyote_hybrid I will disregard this until I read about it in a peer reviewed journal. http://www.easternco...inalInPrint.pdf 2010 Northeastern Naturalist 17(2):189–204 These results indicate that the eastern Coyote should more appropriately be termed “Coywolf” to reflect their hybrid (C. latrans x lycaon) origin. EDIT: UM Thread 2011
Comment icon #15 Posted by Neognosis on 25 August, 2014, 19:26
Comment icon #16 Posted by ROGER on 25 August, 2014, 20:24
Let's capture a few , cross breed them with the chihuahua's that seem to be every where . Then release the little buggers . No longer a BIG problem .
Comment icon #17 Posted by DieChecker on 25 August, 2014, 21:56
Thank you, Diechecker. I've seen these in the adirondacks, though I just though they were large coyotes. Not a problem. You post great stuff.
Comment icon #18 Posted by calaf on 25 August, 2014, 22:56
Not really harmless. They will kill small livestock, chickens, dogs and many other small animals. You mean they kill them and eat them before we get a chance to? b*******!
Comment icon #19 Posted by Myles on 26 August, 2014, 11:42
You mean they kill them and eat them before we get a chance to? b*******! Yep. We are not harmless either. I have chickens. If an animal tries to eat my chicken, I shoot it (or trap it and kill it).
Comment icon #20 Posted by william joseph on 30 August, 2014, 6:46
Wolves and coyotes are the same species. Canines. pugs and chows and german shephards and all breeds of dogs can breed with wolfs and coyotes. They are the same species. My daughter had a half wolf and husky. They are the same species period.
Comment icon #21 Posted by Rafterman on 30 August, 2014, 12:34
I will disregard this until I read about it in a peer reviewed journal. Here you go: http://www.coywolf.org/publications/

84-year-old German had WW2 tank in his cellar
7-27-2021
Lawyers are currently negotiating penalties for a German man who was storing 'weapons of war' in his cellar.
37-year-old wakes up believing that he's 16
7-27-2021
Daniel Porter got the fright of his life when he woke up one day having forgotten 21 years of his life.
Brainless blob can think and make decisions
7-26-2021
Scientists have observed a type of slime mold that is surprisingly brainy given its total lack of a brain.
Harvard-led team to search for alien space tech
7-26-2021
A team of scientists has launched a new project with the aim of hunting down alien technosignatures.
Mystery 'troll' captured on camera
4-24-2021 | Marsta, Sweden

My Grandfather's NDE
4-24-2021 | Oakland, California

The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball