Thursday, August 18, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Bizarre > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Bizarre

Man sleepwalks over the edge of a cliff

September 16, 2014 | Comment icon 11 comments

Sleepwalking can prove fatal on rare occasions. Image Credit: CC BY 3.0 Herzi Pinki
An undiagnosed sleepwalker narrowly cheated death when he waltzed over the edge of a 60ft drop.
27-year-old Ryan Campbell had been enjoying a camping trip with his friends in Kentucky when an unfortunate and unexpected incident almost cost him his life.

He had been sleeping peacefully in his hammock when, during the early hours of the morning, he suddenly got up and walked right off the edge of a 60ft cliff a short distance from the camp site.
He was saved only by a rhododendron bush that broke his fall.

Campbell had never been diagnosed with sleepwalking and had no idea that he was prone to it. Many people who do sleepwalk only tend to find out about it when they are told by a family member or when they discover broken items or other clues around the house.

"I don't care how rare it is that I sleepwalk; I'm not sleeping by cliffs anymore," he said.

Source: Live Science | Comments (11)

Comment icon #2 Posted by Mac E 8 years ago
I want to know at what point did he wake up? Was it the impact or after the impact after the bush broke his fall? I can see it...Ouch, why am I lying on a bush and have a broken leg???
Comment icon #3 Posted by Ashotep 8 years ago
Tie a rope to his foot and yours. If he gets up for a stroll then he will wake you up. You can slap him silly until he wakes up.
Comment icon #4 Posted by YukiEsmaElite0 8 years ago
Comment icon #5 Posted by ancient astronaut 8 years ago
I always sleep walk into a pile of burning garbage.
Comment icon #6 Posted by pallidin 8 years ago
Comment icon #7 Posted by paperdyer 8 years ago
I guess "sleepwalkers" even with their eye's open, have a reduced or complete non-perception of imminent danger. I've also heard of sleepwalkers driving cars. Very rare I guess, but... Scary. Glad he made it out alive from the fall. Uh... this is a clear sign that he needs to either see a professional(if it's even possible to be treated, I don't know), or, completely avoid potentially dangerous scenarios during sleep. Hello, WIFE !!! You need to be on top of this. There is a Rx sleeping aid which can simulate sleepwalking. My friend had taken it for a while. She had some stories from her famil... [More]
Comment icon #8 Posted by Sundew 8 years ago
You shouldn't wake up sleep walkers. I don't remember why, but I was always told that. Pretty sure I rather be awakened than walk off a cliff, just saying!
Comment icon #9 Posted by 6.6.6 8 years ago
My ex wife had a real bad sleepwalking habit, I worked offshore a lot and when I wasn't at home she would often sleep walk into Brian the neighbours bed! It's funny because he ended up sleep walking into a canal!
Comment icon #10 Posted by highdesert50 8 years ago
Rare condition, indeed. Natural selection would have diminished this subpopulation quite quickly in the past. Interesting though, now that we now have so many personal safeguards and medical treatments, that those anomalous individuals who might have perished in the past, now survive, procreate, and pass these traits on. How might this impact our evolution?
Comment icon #11 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: 8 years ago
That's one nasty wake up call.

Total Posts: 7,314,930    Topics: 300,977    Members: 198,025