Saturday, July 11, 2020

Some sleepwalkers don't seem to feel any pain

Posted on Sunday, 8 November, 2015 | Comment icon 9 comments

Some sleepwalkers can fall out of a window without even noticing. Image Credit: CC BY 3.0 Herzi Pinki
During a sleepwalking episode some people can suffer horrendous injuries without noticing or waking up.
In extreme cases, sleepwalking can be a life-threatening condition - especially when the oblivious sleepwalker ends up falling down stairs, tripping over objects or jumping out of windows.

It would seem to stand to reason that sustaining such an injury would wake the person up, but according to a new study by researchers in France, a person sleepwalking may experience no discomfort or pain whatsoever, no matter how severe their injuries, at the time of the mishap.

"Our most surprising result was the lack of pain perception during the sleepwalking episodes," said principal investigator Dr. Regis Lopez from the Hospital Gui-de-Chauliac in Montpellier, France
"We report here, for the first time, an analgesia phenomenon associated with sleepwalking."

An analysis of 100 patients with a diagnosis of sleepwalking revealed that, of the 47 who reported injuring themselves while asleep, only 10 actually woke up at the time as a result of the pain.

"We hypothesize that a dissociate state of arousal may modify the components of sleep-wake behavior, consciousness, and also pain perception," said Dr. Lopez.

Source: Science Daily | Comments (9)

Tags: Sleepwalking

Comment icon #1 Posted by pallidin on 8 November, 2015, 17:05
Patient: Doc, I broke my arm and I am in severe pain. Doctor: Yes, your MRI confirms this. I am prescribing you 14 sleep-walking sessions. In reflection having broken my leg, I did notice that apart from waking with pain, that while I was in a deep sleep I felt no pain that I can recall.
Comment icon #2 Posted by freetoroam on 8 November, 2015, 17:50
One patient even suffered severe fractures after jumping out of a third floor window but had experienced no pain or discomfort at all until they woke up later on in the night. Where did the patient wake up...mangled up on the pavement below.. he did not wake up at the time because he was unconscious from falling from a third floor window. Would like to see what he did do when he recovered, apart from scream! This "STUDY" is ridiculous.
Comment icon #3 Posted by pallidin on 8 November, 2015, 18:08
Coma, Coma, Coma !! AKA, Tora, Tora, Tora.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Lucas Cooper Merrin on 8 November, 2015, 20:33
Coma, Coma, Coma !! AKA, Tora, Tora, Tora. Coma coma coma coma coma-cameleon
Comment icon #5 Posted by Nnicolette on 8 November, 2015, 23:06
Comment icon #6 Posted by Goodnite on 9 November, 2015, 2:33
This is true. I am an occasional sleep walker and i sometimes know when ive been wandering because i wake up with bruises and lumps on my legs from running into things but i always make it back to my bed and discover the injuries later. Every time I sleepwalk I instantly wake when I walk into something. That's a good thing.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Nnicolette on 9 November, 2015, 13:35
You do? I thought that crazy unwakeable deep sleep always came with it. Which is weird because as a single mom im an incredibly light sleeperthe rest of the time someone pulls up quietly on the street n i wake up. Are you being serious lol do you often wake up while walking? Im just curious about the causes lol because ive been caught leaving these premises by others but am usually alone n that scares me i want to know where i go n what i do at night lol because from what i heard i conversate interact and am not always recognised as sleeping until later. I think this article is correct i mean ... [More]
Comment icon #8 Posted by Captain Dumbass on 12 November, 2015, 12:54
Yesterday in Copenhagen a 12 year old girl sleepwalked out of her bedroom window from 6th floor hitting the sidewalk made of stone and concrete. She barely got a scratch. Some sleepwalkers should consider some kind of safety string attached to their ancle and bed.
Comment icon #9 Posted by AstralPhae on 16 November, 2015, 6:35
I am so glad that I don't sleep walk anymore.

'Vampire-slaying kit' goes up for auction
7-11-2020
A Gothic-looking box full of vampire-slaying paraphernalia is expected to fetch a hefty sum at auction.
NASA's next Mars rover is attached to rocket
7-10-2020
The Perseverance Mars rover has been attached to an Atlas V rocket in preparation for its epic journey.
Bizarre 'xenophyophores' found in the abyss
7-10-2020
Scientists have discovered a number of exotic new life forms in the deepest depths of the Pacific Ocean.
'10ft lake monster' caught on camera in China
7-9-2020
Footage showing an unidentified creature lurking in the water of a Chinese lake has appeared on social media.

Grim reaper-like visitation