Sunday, May 19, 2019

Single woman gets married to herself

Posted on Wednesday, 8 October, 2014 | Comment icon 83 comments

The wedding featured everything you would expect a wedding to have - except for a groom. Image Credit: sxc.hu
Photographer Grace Gelder became married to herself in a bizarre wedding ceremony earlier this year.
Having been on what she called a "journey of personal development", the 31-year-old reportedly made the decision to propose to herself while sitting on a park bench last November.

She cited the Björk song 'Isobel' as her inspiration due to the line "My name's Isobel, married to myself."

Gelder maintained that she had "built up this brilliant relationship" with herself and that it was time to tie the knot.

The wedding itself was attended by more than 50 people who came to watch the artist, who was wearing a vintage gown, as she walked up the aisle with a bouquet of stargazer lilies.

"Just sitting there in the room and thinking, 'Wow, all these people have come all this way today to celebrate me marrying myself!' was very humbling," she said.

"The day was obviously centered on me, the final event being a mirror for me to kiss, but it also felt like I was sharing something very special with my friends, giving everyone an opportunity to reflect on their own ideas of love and commitment."

Source: AOL | Comments (83)

Tags: Marriage, Wedding

Comment icon #74 Posted by MidnightLady on 23 October, 2014, 15:43
Okay we all know this is silly but I'm delighted it was brought to the UM table. I have had more laughs reading the post here than in any other thread. I might not be able to put a Wedding Album together for the Bride(s) but I plan to do one for myself. Then when I feel down about something instead of consulting a shrink I can get back on target just rereading my fellow UM's comments. Laughter is the best medicine and I don't have to write a check to the doctor. One poster made me flash on Frasier Crane. Now there was a self absorbed pompous fanny, who in my opinion had one of the worse inferi... [More]
Comment icon #75 Posted by CatFromHell on 23 October, 2014, 16:44
Wow..what a nauseating display of narcissism. If a child of any age displayed that same sort of asinine behavior they'd be slapped in the face so hard they would be knocked on their rears yet we tolerate this imbecilic behavior out of adults. Heck, we even encourage and celebrate it. I just find the article silly and embarrassing. What is even more pathetic is the people who attended this..."ceremony" and gleefully tossing rice or whatever....well, hope she is happy with her display of self absorption. I think the story should be taken light heartedly, And don't forget, She is an artist (Maybe... [More]
Comment icon #76 Posted by freetoroam on 23 October, 2014, 18:36
The thought of even thinking about marrying myself makes my head dizzy. I need my husband....remember I do not cook, he is the bread winner and I can not sail this boat on my own. CFH, I think you have hit the nail on the head about the struggling bit.
Comment icon #77 Posted by Oxo1 on 23 October, 2014, 19:48
I wonder how long the marriage will last, before they get fed up of each other.
Comment icon #78 Posted by MidnightLady on 23 October, 2014, 23:21
I think the story should be taken light heartedly, And don't forget, She is an artist (Maybe a struggling one) and stunts like this give her good publicity which is probably why she did it in the first place, She's got that here so far, Hasn't she? I was thinking the same thing. Good or bad PR is PR. Now in the art world she can capitalize on all sorts of things. She can paint or sculpt or even photograph herself twice. Than entitle it. "I am never alone as long as I have me". Hey, I might purchase something like that. Okay, so maybe shes out-there. But now she is really out-there.
Comment icon #79 Posted by CJ1983 on 28 October, 2014, 23:17
Well there it is, the stupidest thing I read all day.
Comment icon #80 Posted by Karasu on 30 October, 2014, 16:48
All depends on the prenuptial... Welcome to UM Karasu. Thank you kindly.
Comment icon #81 Posted by RedSquirrel on 31 October, 2014, 2:54
I wonder how they met...
Comment icon #82 Posted by Piney on 31 October, 2014, 3:00
I wonder how they met... At a multiple personality disorder clinic......
Comment icon #83 Posted by RedSquirrel on 31 October, 2014, 3:03
At a multiple personality disorder clinic...... How romantic!

6462029

Human-like figure floats eerily over California
5-19-2019
Peculiar video footage has emerged showing a vaguely humanoid shape floating across the sky over Burbank.
More mystery 'jars of the dead' found in Laos
5-18-2019
Archaeologists have unearthed an additional 137 large stone jars at megalithic sites in Southeast Asia.
Firm offers Game of Thrones spoiler insurance
5-18-2019
A British insurance company is offering compensation to viewers who have had the finale inadvertently spoiled.
Why is the Pentagon interested in UFOs ?
5-18-2019
Why has the Pentagon suddenly taken such an interest in the reporting and investigation of UFO sightings ?
Crashed UFO off Gig Harbor Wa.
5-15-2019 | Gig Harbor Wa.

My enlightenment