We are now on Patreon! Click here to learn more about how you can help support the site.

Saturday, December 4, 2021
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Natural World > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )
Natural World

'Unicorn' roe deer discovered in Slovenia

November 17, 2014 | Comment icon 17 comments

Roe deer are extremely common in Slovenia. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.5 Wiki
The animal was found to have a rare deformity that resulted in a single unicorn-like antler.
The roe deer, which was shot by a hunter in Celje back in August, exhibited a deformity so unusual that the scientist who verified its authenticity claimed to have never seen anything like it before.

Roe deer are extremely widespread in Slovenia and their numbers are carefully managed through annual hunting restrictions.

"In this species, only males grow antlers, which are bilateral and usually symmetrical bone structures that appear from two antler pedicles, i.e. extensions of the skull," said scientist Boötjan Pokorny.

"However, in the case of this very untypical and interesting buck, both pedicles, which should be separated, grew up together in one large pedicle."

It is believed that this particular deformity was the result of an injury sustained by the deer at some point during the early development of its antlers.

Source: National Geographic | Comments (17)

Unexplained Mysteries is now on Patreon!

Click here to learn more about how you can help support the site and gain access to a range of perks including a subscriber badge, ad-free browsing, an exclusive weekly newsletter, sneak peaks of upcoming features and more.
23 / 25
We are 92% of the way to our second Patreon subscriber target - thank you!
Comment icon #8 Posted by alfonso 7 years ago
see something rare then kill it?.. what a world , what a world
Comment icon #9 Posted by shrooma 7 years ago
and because it was old, as you quoted yourself. . can't wait for you to hit carousel, "Helen". . What makes you think that particular roe wasnít eaten? Probably ended up in a stew, since it was an older animal. (I didn't read the article, maybe they'll stuff it, if it was that old and... unique.) . quite simple Helen. I read the article. . the animal in question wasn't killed- it was culled. . there is a difference. . phonetically. not so much. . philosophicurly? more so. . Hunters in this part of the world spend more time actually helping and protecting wild life than killing it. . which part... [More]
Comment icon #10 Posted by Helen of Annoy 7 years ago
You've messed up the quoting there. But I see it must be old hunting accident related So... can't wait for you to hit carousel, "Helen". Arenít you precious. quite simple Helen. I read the article. . the animal in question wasn't killed- it was culled. . there is a difference. . phonetically. not so much. . philosophicurly? more so. . Philosophicurly, I like roes. I donít like sanctimoniousness. which part of the world would that be? hm? Helen? . Grab a map. Find Slovenia. Thereís Croatia right next to it. That part. that much is obvious. you have known neither. i'm an Irishman brought up in Y... [More]
Comment icon #11 Posted by DieChecker 7 years ago
RIP last unicorn...
Comment icon #12 Posted by S2F 7 years ago
When I looked at the pic in the article the first thing I thought was "Nice hat".
Comment icon #13 Posted by shrooma 7 years ago
You've messed up the quoting there. . not really Helen, just my pizza sheet phone can't separate quotes, sorry. . So... Arenít you precious. . yes. very. . . ask my mam. . Philosophicurly, I like roes. I donít like sanctimoniousness. . . i'm neither. unfortunately. . Grab a map. Find Slovenia. Thereís Croatia right next to it. That part. . I know where you are Helen, this isn't my first day here if you know what I mean...? . Tell me more about myself . ok. you're a green-eyed capricorn who works in marketing, wished you had more time off, and cry yourself to sleep every night 'cause Phil in Ac... [More]
Comment icon #14 Posted by Karasu 7 years ago
Mmmmm, deer steaks.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Ralaman 7 years ago
Dont worry. I am sure some "sportsman" will crawl up a tree and shot the animal from 100 yards away and then go re-live his harrowing experience to his beer-drinking companions while listening to Chesney.
Comment icon #16 Posted by paperdyer 7 years ago
QUOTE- . This particular specimen was targeted due to its advancing years and because it initially appeared to have just one antler. . and that's a good reason to kill it is it? because it was different? or was it euthanasia? . whatever happened to hunting for food....? . you should NEVER kill anything,, unless you're prepared to eat it. . Except spiders, ants, roaches, etc.
Comment icon #17 Posted by gatekeeper32 7 years ago
Makes you wonder what would happen if Bigfoot was ever proven to be real?