Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Mysterious 'Watcher' forces family to flee

Posted on Sunday, 28 June, 2015 | Comment icon 42 comments

The person responsible for sending the messages has never been caught. Image Credit: sxc.hu
A family has fled their new home after receiving chilling messages from someone called 'The Watcher'.
A real-life horror movie plot has been unfolding in New Jersey this week after it was revealed that Derek and Maria Broaddus, who had purchased and moved in to their new $1.3M home in Westfield last year, started receiving strange messages from an individual who continues to remain at large.

Calling himself "The Watcher", the mysterious antagonist started sending the letters shortly after the couple and their three children moved in to the property in June.

"My grandfather watched the house in the 1920s and my father watched in the 1960s. It is now my time," he wrote in one letter. "Have they found what is in the walls yet? In time they will … I am pleased to know your names now and the name of the young blood you have brought to me."

"Who has the bedrooms, facing the street? I'll know as soon as you move in. It will help me to know who is in which bedroom then I can plan better."

The terrified family were ultimately forced to move out and are now suing the former owners on the basis that they had already known about the messages before selling the house.

The police are continuing to investigate but have yet to track down the individual responsible.

Source: NBC News | Comments (42)

Tags: Watcher

Comment icon #33 Posted by Leonardo on 3 July, 2015, 10:36
I thought the crux of the issue was that letters were being sent to the new owners which terrified them as the letters were stating details about the house and asking who would be sleeping in which bedroom etc? Where does it state that the seller and broker were targeted ? From the article... The couple alleged that the former owners did not warn them about the threats from "The Watcher. They claim that the former owners knew of the threats and should have known of the strange stalker's claim of ownership of the home. The first letter was received on June 5, 2014 — just three days after the fa... [More]
Comment icon #34 Posted by libstaK on 5 July, 2015, 5:25
From the article... The buyers (plaintiffs) are accusing both the seller and the broker of "knowing the threat exists before closing on the sale" - but how could they? They could only know, and be sued for knowing, if they had also received threatening letters prior to the close of sale. There has been no indication that the seller had received any such letters in the past (i.e. prior to them making a decision to sell), else they would undoubtedly have filed a complaint to the police themselves and the police have not made any statement that the case is historical. If the seller had not been t... [More]
Comment icon #35 Posted by Leonardo on 5 July, 2015, 15:39
Okay, my post again below .... so what was the debate about? Your response, which is in direct contradiction to your surmisal above where you do note it is possible that the buyer was a target to reduce the value of the property. Yes, that scenario is possible but much more unlikely than what I consider the "likely scenario". I didn't make any contradiction, I just only spoke of what I considered the most likely situation. This is also a possibility as there is no information that letters prior to those received by the buyer actually exist or were sent.Bottom line is that there is not enough f... [More]
Comment icon #36 Posted by Justice please on 14 July, 2015, 0:03
Yes, that scenario is possible but much more unlikely than what I consider the "likely scenario". I didn't make any contradiction, I just only spoke of what I considered the most likely situation. The police would not open an investigation unless there was something to investigate. Okay, we can't see any copies of the letters that the buyers allege were sent, but we have no reason to doubt those letters exist else the police would not open an investigation into the threats. The claim that is truly in doubt, is that letters were also sent - prior to closing of the sale - to either the seller, t... [More]
Comment icon #37 Posted by captainstickman on 10 August, 2015, 8:10
Somewhat poorly written article but the writer at least went to the town and asked a bunch questions "It's clear he thinks the new owners wrote the letters to themselves to get out of their million dollar mortgage" http://gothamist.com/2015/07/31/the_watcher.php
Comment icon #38 Posted by cerberusxp on 10 August, 2015, 9:37
Sounds to me like a paranoid neighbor that thinks possibly the family is an undercover operation. OR He just wants them to move out. OR Like Leonardo purposes.
Comment icon #39 Posted by eydood on 20 August, 2015, 0:31
Thrilling story, but the whole thing stinks of a scam; perhaps the buys want out of the deal. Or, similar to what someone else posted above, perhaps this is a way to scare off undesired new residence. I know I'd be terrified and would consider getting the heck out, myself
Comment icon #40 Posted by LucidElement on 14 November, 2018, 17:01
The watcher is back!!!   With a new letter this time. https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-jersey-family-terrorized-by-the-watcher-opens-up-about-terrifying-ordeal
Comment icon #41 Posted by LucidElement on 14 November, 2018, 17:05
oh man, this is crazy because its been going on for almost 5 years. Even though the family doesn't live there anymore its just strange that no one has caught him. Even with the FBI looking into it, it seems to come to a dead end. The new tenants got a letter too that was given to the family who moved out. This is an interesting mystery.
Comment icon #42 Posted by Ozymandias on 14 November, 2018, 17:11
What a load of tosh! The Watcher claimed in his threatening letter: 'I am the rightful owner of the house'!!!!  I don't know who is the stupidest, The Watcher, the current owners or the local police.

Mobile network balloon sparks UFO scare
6-26-2019
Residents of Butler County, Ohio were left perplexed earlier this month by a giant white orb in the sky.
Town commemorates historic UFO abduction
6-26-2019
The Mississippi town of Pascagoula has placed a marker next to the river where two men were abducted by aliens.
Popeye was right: spinach makes you strong
6-25-2019
Scientists have called for a chemical in spinach to be added to the list of banned substances for athletes.
Footage of weird 'gorilla crow' goes viral
6-25-2019
A recent video from Japan shows what appears to be a crow engaged in some rather peculiar behavior.
Witnessing tree spirits
6-25-2019 | Ontario

I didn't move my blankets
6-25-2019 | Spring, TX

Bitten by a spirit?...true story
6-15-2019 | Dallas, Tx

Bed shaking
6-15-2019 | India

Red floating lights
6-15-2019 | Canada

A night-time encounter
5-28-2019 | Missouri

UFO flies over home
5-28-2019 | Ypsilanti, Mi

Crashed UFO off Gig Harbor Wa.
5-15-2019 | Gig Harbor Wa.

My enlightenment