Wednesday, June 19, 2019

X-Files creator says he 'wants to believe'

Posted on Monday, 27 July, 2015 | Comment icon 82 comments

Mulder's office from the original X-Files television series. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Marcin Wichary
The man who created 'The X-Files' TV show maintains that his views echo those of Mulder's iconic poster.
With a new run of six episodes currently being filmed - the first return to the franchise since the 2008 movie 'The X-Files: I Want to Believe' and the first television episodes since the show was originally discontinued in 2002 - it's a good time to be a fan of the iconic science fiction series.

Original cast members David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson will be reprising their roles as Mulder and Scully respectively and several other original characters are set to return as well.

One of the reasons that the show proved so successful was because many of the stories and themes throughout the series were based on real-world legends and mysteries including alien abduction, government conspiracies, hauntings, UFOs and many more.

For the new series creator Chris Carter will also be drawing upon more recent events including the revelations by Wikileaks of government-sanctioned eavesdropping and cover-ups.

"You can imagine I was the least shocked person in the world," he said on the matter. "It is not surprising to me at all… those assertions and allegations are what I think The X-Files was built on."

While Carter has been heavily influenced over the years by weird and wonderful tales of everything from psychic warfare to strange creatures roaming the woods, his own beliefs happen to remain very much in line with the words on the famous poster that hung in Mulder's office.

"That ‘I Want To Believe’ poster states it so perfectly for me," he said. "I am looking for a paranormal experience. I am looking for a miracle, I am waiting for the supernatural."

"I am waiting to be confronted with something I can’t explain."

The new six-episode series of The X-Files is set to premiere on January 24, 2016.

Source: Independent | Comments (82)

Tags: The X-Files, Chris Carter

Comment icon #73 Posted by Zalmoxis on 28 July, 2015, 23:47
Great show. I haven't seen all of the original series' episodes yet.
Comment icon #74 Posted by shaddow134 on 28 July, 2015, 23:55
So why are you on this site then, just to troll. Also there is plenty of evidence of ET and Ghosts. and pink flying pigs.....
Comment icon #75 Posted by Mr Supertypo on 29 July, 2015, 10:38
Love the X-Files, glad its coming back even for a short while. During the years I have followed similar shows like Fringe or Supernatural, similar but very different. Nothing beats the X-Files. Buuut the show had flows, to much wandering lots of plot holes. The movies were ok but nothing great. The characters, legendary, but they were squeezed to much, and to many contradictions (*I'm a CSM fan*, Mulder and his sister *yawn* scully and her skepticism *come ooon*). Frankly I prefer Dogget and Monica Reyes. The gave fresh look to the show, new characters new faces new back stories, new mannerism... [More]
Comment icon #76 Posted by Anomalocaris on 3 August, 2015, 1:40
Gillian Anderson REALLY Wants Lego to Make an Official X-Files Set
Comment icon #77 Posted by spirit unknown on 27 August, 2015, 9:01
Now that's good news. Now I don't have to get rid of that X files tattoo. -Sunny.
Comment icon #78 Posted by Gomar on 31 August, 2015, 1:32
If they don't bring back The Lone Gunmen, I ain't watchin. Yes, them nerds are coming back, after death.
Comment icon #79 Posted by Gomar on 31 August, 2015, 1:35
"Dogget and Monica Reyes" aren't coming back dude!
Comment icon #80 Posted by darkmoonlady on 4 September, 2015, 11:02
I want them to address Scullys immortality in the limited series. I am rewatching them again and knew about Clyde Bruckman telling her she doesn't die and in Tithonis the photographer takes her death but I just watched All Souls and her priests points out she could not have seen a seraphim because to look upon one is to be smoted by their countenance. She did see one and she lived so it's is yet another clue she is immortal.
Comment icon #81 Posted by Anomalocaris on 29 September, 2015, 20:27
Comment icon #82 Posted by newbloodmoon on 8 October, 2015, 6:44
X-Files was and is the only television show I actually made a point to watch when it was on. I just don't like the telley, now I will have an excuse to turn the idiot boxback on.

Cat filter blunder turns conference in to a farce
6-19-2019
A Pakistani minister was left red-faced after a cat filter was accidentally enabled on his Facebook livestream.
Two new Earth-like exoplanets discovered
6-19-2019
The new worlds are so much like our own that both are now on a list of the 19 planets most likely to support life.
New Loch Ness Monster footage has emerged
6-19-2019
Gloria and Ian Davison had been visiting the Scottish Highlands when they spotted something in the loch.
Puppy dog eyes are an evolutionary trait
6-18-2019
Scientists have discovered that dogs have evolved eye muscles to help make them more appealing to humans.
Bitten by a spirit?...true story
6-15-2019 | Dallas, Tx

Bed shaking
6-15-2019 | India

Red floating lights
6-15-2019 | Canada

A night-time encounter
5-28-2019 | Missouri

UFO flies over home
5-28-2019 | Ypsilanti, Mi

Crashed UFO off Gig Harbor Wa.
5-15-2019 | Gig Harbor Wa.

My enlightenment