Sunday, June 26, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Science & Technology > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Science & Technology

NASA claims sea level rise is 'inevitable'

August 27, 2015 | Comment icon 107 comments

Rising sea levels represent a significant problem. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Phillip Capper
Scientists have warned that sea levels are going to rise by at least 3ft by the end of the century.
Despite concerted international efforts to curb the effects of global warming, new satellite data has indicated that a rise in sea levels around the world is still an unfortunate inevitability.

Scientists at NASA have this week revealed that with the ice sheets in Greenland and Antarctica melting at a faster rate than ever before sea levels will rise by at least 3ft over the next 100 years.

"More than 150 million people, most of them in Asia, live within one meter of present sea level," said Michael Freilich, director of NASA's Earth Science Division.
"It may entirely eliminate some Pacific island nations."

The world's oceans have risen by around 7.6cm since 1992 with most of it being attributed to melt water from countries such as Greenland where 303,000 tons of ice are being lost each year.

"Sea level rise is one of the most visible signatures of our changing climate, and rising seas have profound impacts on our nation, our economy and all of humanity," said Freilich.

"By combining space-borne direct measurements of sea level with a host of other measurements from satellites and sensors in the oceans themselves, NASA scientists are not only tracking changes in ocean heights but are also determining the reasons for those changes."

Source: IBN Live | Comments (107)

Comment icon #98 Posted by bmk1245 7 years ago
Comment icon #99 Posted by socrates.junior 7 years ago
Ummm... OK, a guy (most likely atheist) from USSR, proposing/peddling somewhat wacky hypothesis... Where is freaking religion/god here?!!! Any opportunity to get in a dig, you know?
Comment icon #100 Posted by Br Cornelius 7 years ago
Any opportunity to get in a dig, you know? The point is even geologists are not immune from crazy ideas. Br Cornelius
Comment icon #101 Posted by socrates.junior 7 years ago
The point is even geologists are not immune from crazy ideas. Here, I'll quote myself. I mean, maybe. Which specific finding(s) of geology do you, as a neither a geologist nor a Catholic, think is(are) at odds with Catholicism?
Comment icon #102 Posted by Br Cornelius 7 years ago
Here, I'll quote myself. I mean, maybe. Which specific finding(s) of geology do you, as a neither a geologist nor a Catholic, think is(are) at odds with Catholicism? It depends on whether you take Genesis at all seriously as an account of history, I know thats not popular in the church anymore though. Br Cornelius
Comment icon #103 Posted by socrates.junior 7 years ago
Comment icon #104 Posted by bmk1245 7 years ago
Argh... nevermind.
Comment icon #105 Posted by Br Cornelius 7 years ago
Yeah, and the geosyncline as the mechanism for orogenic activity isn't popular in the geologic community anymore. So I see that (as expected) you didn't have much of a point besides getting in a cheap dig. Gotta get my fun somehow But the drift of religious belief to accommodate reality is more than interesting. Where will god hang out at the end - in those gaps. Br Cornelius
Comment icon #106 Posted by robinrenee 7 years ago
Here, I'll quote myself. I mean, maybe. Which specific finding(s) of geology do you, as a neither a geologist nor a Catholic, think is(are) at odds with Catholicism? Did I miss something? What does religion have to do with geology? Well.... other than I believe God set the whole process in motion a looooong time ago. And the earth spun into existence about 4.5 billion years ago. Is the oceanization hypothesis supposed to have something to do with the flood myths?
Comment icon #107 Posted by bmk1245 7 years ago
[...] EDIT2: bmk, I've been trying to track down information about the author and not having much luck. I think I found another paper by him about heat flow. But ideas like his oceanization one are quite out there. Make someone like Warren Hamilton look positively mainstream. Damn, missed your edit... I haven't tried to dug up much deeper into about Orlenok (majority of the info is in Russian), but he did had some accomplishments in geology, beside that odd hypothesis.

Total Posts: 7,284,032    Topics: 299,670    Members: 197,506