World of the Bizarre
Homes evacuated due to world's hottest chili
By T.K. Randall
November 7, 2015 · 26 comments
It turns out that chili can be quite disruptive in the wrong hands. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Ramesh NG
Students were forced to leave their homes after a neighbor attempted a rather extreme cooking recipe.
The bizarre incident took place on Mauldeth Road in Fallowfield, England after an ambitious culinary experiment, which involved cooking the world's hottest chili in the world's hottest sauce, went awry.
Fearing that there had been a nearby gas leak, panicked students fled their homes and ran out on to the street while they waited for the emergency services to arrive.
Soon however it became apparent that the source of the eye-watteringly noxious odor wasn't a gas leak at all but the extreme aroma of their neighbor's spicy cooking.
"We thought itís got to be a gas leak, nothing else came to mind," said 19-year-old Terri Moran. "We then saw the house behind us and another on our left that were doing the same thing. Everyone was quite scared because chili never came to our mind and the only thought was a gas leak."
In the end the fire service had to fumigate four houses on the street to get rid of the smell.
"We were quite panicky and the fire-fighters calmed us down," said Moran. "They came out of the house coughing and had to put gas masks on before going back in."
One of the fireman quipped that the incident was the "weirdest they had dealt with in 20 years."
Source: Manchester Evening News
| Comments (26)