Friday, September 18, 2020

Surgeon has transplanted the head of a monkey

Posted on Wednesday, 20 January, 2016 | Comment icon 68 comments

Could Dr Canavero's claim be true ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Thomas Schoch
The alleged success could mean that plans to perform a human head transplant in 2017 are still on track.
Controversial surgeon Dr Sergio Canavero, who believes that transplanting someone's head from one body to another is actually feasible, is so sure that this can be done that he has been asking billionaires for financial support to help him carry out such an operation on a live patient.

The intended recipient of the new body will be 30-year-old Valery Spiridonov who suffers from a genetic muscle-wasting condition called Werdnig-Hoffmann disease.

"When I realized that I could participate in something really big and important, I had no doubt left in my mind and started to work in this direction," he said. "The only thing I feel is the sense of pleasant impatience, like I have been preparing for something important all my life."
Now in preparation for this feat Dr Canavero has claimed that he has managed to successfully perform the procedure on a live monkey at Harbin Medical University in China.

"The monkey fully survived the procedure without any neurological injury of whatever kind," he said.

Despite his assertions however the claim has been met with a significant degree of skepticism as no scientific confirmation of the operation has been forthcoming.

Many scientists have also raised concerns about what could happen to Mr Spiridonov should the procedure ever be attempted on him and what sort of existence he would have afterwards.

Source: Mail Online | Comments (68)

Tags: Head Transplant, Sergio Canavero

Comment icon #59 Posted by MJNYC on 22 January, 2016, 19:55
I feel that YOUR life is more valuable, not "equal" but more, than any non-human creature I can think of. And again, I vehemently disagree with you. As well it should be!
Comment icon #60 Posted by Bavarian Raven on 22 January, 2016, 22:14
And, that makes you a speciest. I will agree to vehemently disagree with you. Prove him wrong though?
Comment icon #61 Posted by Harte on 23 January, 2016, 0:40
And, that makes you a speciest. I will agree to vehemently disagree with you. Tell me what you know about Homo Erectus. Prove you're not a speciesist yourself. Harte
Comment icon #62 Posted by XenoFish on 23 January, 2016, 13:01
Tell me what you know about Homo Erectus. Must resist urge to make terrible joke.
Comment icon #63 Posted by AustinHinton on 23 January, 2016, 16:26
I know I'M not speciesist.
Comment icon #64 Posted by HiYouAllitsMe on 23 January, 2016, 20:12
This might be good news, if only he had transplanted the monkey head onto an elected politician!
Comment icon #65 Posted by Occams Razor on 25 January, 2016, 5:27
He must think we're a bunch of Gibbons. If this were true the surviving monkey would be all over the media.
Comment icon #66 Posted by MJNYC on 25 January, 2016, 15:11
Tell me what you know about Homo Erectus. Prove you're not a speciesist yourself. Harte How would you even think I'm a speciest? I'm for all life.
Comment icon #67 Posted by Harte on 25 January, 2016, 22:29
So, you'd never use an antibacterial soap? How do you feel about fungus? Should people just put up with athlete's foot, jock itch and ringworm? What's your position on the several different yeast infections people get? Harte
Comment icon #68 Posted by monkeyman2269 on 27 January, 2016, 10:21
What I wanna know is were this healthy body is coming from. Some one in a vegtable state?

281971

Man uses live snake as face mask on UK bus
9-18-2020
Commuters couldn't believe their eyes this week when a man wearing a large snake got onto the bus.
Two 'ghosts' caught on camera at Gettysburg
9-17-2020
Footage has emerged that allegedly shows two ghostly figures at the site of the Battle of Gettysburg.
Did a solar flare cause the Titanic disaster ?
9-17-2020
It is now believed that a geomagnetic storm interfered with the Titanic's navigation and communications.
Prehistoric sperm found trapped inside amber
9-16-2020
Scientists have identified 100 million-year-old sperm cells perfectly preserved within fossilized tree resin.
Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball