Friday, December 13, 2019

'Head transplant' surgeons claim progress

Posted on Sunday, 31 March, 2019 | Comment icon 20 comments

Is it really possible to transfer a head from one body to another ? Image Credit: PD - Mikael Haggstrom
Two controversial surgeons aiming to transplant a human head have reported spinal surgery success in animals.
Xiaoping Ren from China and Sergio Canavero from Italy have published a new study in which they have reported successfully repairing 'irreversible' spinal-cord injuries in dogs and monkeys.

If true, the work represents a significant step towards their ultimate goal of transplanting the head of a live human patient from one body to another - something that has never been done before.

According to the report, the two surgeons were able to 'fully transect' the spinal cords of the animals to the point where they were even able to walk again following the surgery.

Xiaoping and Canavero have described the breakthrough as 'unprecedented'.
That said however, it should come as no surprise that their work has been met with a significant degree of skepticism from the medical community.

As things stand, it is unclear whether or not they have actually succeeded in treating dogs and monkeys to the extent claimed, nor that such a procedure could ever work in humans.

Their goal of carrying out a head transplant is even more questionable - both morally and practically.

Suffice to say, it is not a procedure anyone is likely to want to go through with.

"I would not wish this on anyone," said Dr Hunt Batjer of the American Association for Neurological Surgeons. "I would not allow anyone to do it to me as there are a lot of things worse than death."

Source: USA Today | Comments (20)

Tags: Head Transplant

Comment icon #11 Posted by Impedancer on 31 March, 2019, 20:33
Haha yes then hunt them down brings a whole nother meaning to giving head..
Comment icon #12 Posted by Seti42 on 31 March, 2019, 23:42
I can "claim progress" on my time machine. I don't want to know how they came upon dogs and monkeys with irreversible spinal injuries...
Comment icon #13 Posted by Kenemet on 1 April, 2019, 1:29
I'm calling hoax. In order to be able to successfully transplant a head, you have to be able to regrow nerves.  We're not to that stage yet.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Carnoferox on 1 April, 2019, 2:37
Most of these too-good-to-be-true Chinese science stories are hoaxes, so I also see no reason to trust this one.
Comment icon #15 Posted by TripGun on 1 April, 2019, 13:42
Too complex, come back 1000 year
Comment icon #16 Posted by esoteric_toad on 1 April, 2019, 14:24
Since we cannot restore nerve endings in the spine to restore those that are paralyzed it is beyond obvious this is a ridiculous BS claim. These 'doctors' keep the story going though, every few months another claim and every few months these stupid "news" sites pick it up. I guess it is a good way to keep your name out there.
Comment icon #17 Posted by EBE Hybrid on 1 April, 2019, 15:24
My own time machine is getting there. It's powered by beer, usually 10 beers will propel you 6 hours into the future. Unfortunately I can't always predict where I will materialize and the effects of temporal displacement are headache and nausea!
Comment icon #18 Posted by danydandan on 1 April, 2019, 18:06
You guys might not be able to restore nerve endings, but I can.
Comment icon #19 Posted by Golden Duck on 6 April, 2019, 0:06
Der übermorgen is nigh
Comment icon #20 Posted by tmcom on 6 April, 2019, 14:11
It is common practice when you want to pump and dump a Penny stock, or push up the price on a junk stock.

6611984

Giant telescope to join the search for alien life
12-13-2019
The world's largest filled-aperture radio telescope is about to start operating after several years of testing.
Deepest point on continental Earth discovered
12-13-2019
Scientists have identified an enormous land-based canyon that descends 11,500ft beneath sea level.
Cave painting depicts world's oldest cryptid
12-13-2019
A cave painting dating back 44,000 years shows the earliest known depiction of a supernatural creature.
Pigeons spotted wearing tiny cowboy hats
12-12-2019
Efforts are underway to track down who is responsible for affixing small hats to the heads of pigeons in Las Vegas.
My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA

The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia