Friday, December 6, 2019

Skepticism surrounds head transplant success

Posted on Friday, 17 November, 2017 | Comment icon 84 comments

Would you allow Dr Canavero to transplant your head ? Image Credit: CC 2.0 Andrew Mason
Controversial surgeon Sergio Canavero claims that he has performed the first ever human head transplant.
If the very idea of transplanting the head of a live human being on to the body of a donor might seem as implausible as it is horrifying, then that's because - for the most part anyway, it is.

Neurosurgeon Sergio Canavero has been embroiled in a fair amount of controversy over the last few years following his announcement that he would be attempting to transplant the head of a disabled human patient on to another body in an effort to give him a new lease of life.

The intended patient was to be Valery Spiridonov, a Russian computer scientist who suffers from a genetic muscle-wasting condition called Werdnig-Hoffmann disease, however more recently he revealed that he was (very wisely) not going to go forward with it.
Now though, Canavero has made headlines once again by claiming that he has actually achieved the impossible by carrying out a human head transplant on a corpse and that a similar operation on a live patient is all but inevitable in the very near future.

The problem though, of course, is that operating on a dead body is not going to have provided adequate preparation for performing the procedure on an actual live human.

It's also difficult to imagine anyone actually agreeing to go through with it.

"I would not wish this on anyone," said Dr Hunt Batjer of the American Association for Neurological Surgeons. "I would not allow anyone to do it to me as there are a lot of things worse than death."

Source: The Guardian | Comments (84)

Tags: Sergio Canavero, Head Transplant

Comment icon #75 Posted by third_eye on 19 November, 2017, 10:56
  Took a bit of time but ... touché ... ~
Comment icon #76 Posted by seanjo on 19 November, 2017, 13:46
The USSR I believe, there is a hideous vid out there of a dogs head tongue licking out and eyes moving out there, I can't look for it I find it horrible.
Comment icon #77 Posted by seanjo on 19 November, 2017, 13:49
And being attracted to the same sex! It's Homosexuality extreme.   Gender reassignment (radical surgery) isn't the answer, it can bring even more problems than it solves, therapy to help these people feel comfortable in their own skin would be better.
Comment icon #78 Posted by Rlyeh on 19 November, 2017, 14:21
There is no requirement that transgender are also homosexual.
Comment icon #79 Posted by Nzo on 19 November, 2017, 18:07
As long as they are not doing it to other species I do not see anything wrong with them doing research on this subject. I would suggest that their next phase should be getting brain dead but otherwise alive donors to do this on. It is gross, to say the least, but so is everything else when it comes to surgeries. I think they would learn a lot from such surgeries, things that can help with understanding many other things about the human body. The only time it should be performed on a healthy human is when they have successfully done it hundreds if not thousands of times with live human brain de... [More]
Comment icon #80 Posted by EBE Hybrid on 19 November, 2017, 18:46
It could be like going to the car dealership and selecting which option packs you want, some salesman suggesting that for an extra £500 you could have the athlete body and for an extra £1000 you can choose what colour options you want for the limbs torso and appendages!
Comment icon #81 Posted by third_eye on 20 November, 2017, 11:08
Why did you skirt the touchy issue regarding the genitalia ? ~
Comment icon #82 Posted by EBE Hybrid on 20 November, 2017, 22:45
I figured "appendages" discreetly covered the issue, just imagine, with a bit of creativity you could have some truly bizarre anything goes combinations. More Frankenfurter than Frankenstien!
Comment icon #83 Posted by third_eye on 21 November, 2017, 13:20
Exactly ... I'd rather it be on the Genitalia Category than half guessing where or what the appendages halts or starts ... ~
Comment icon #84 Posted by Gromdor on 27 November, 2017, 4:08
Whenever I see this topic, I always think of some poor guy/gal getting into a horrible accident and the only body available is a body of the opposite gender.  It would definitely redefine gender roles in society.

Banana duct-taped to a wall sells for $120,000
12-6-2019
Modern art connoisseurs have taken to a rather tongue-in-cheek exhibit at a Miami Beach art festival this week.
Quantum physicist describes alien encounter
12-6-2019
Quantum computing expert Deep Prasad has come forward with a rather extraordinary story.
Planet found orbiting white dwarf in world first
12-5-2019
Astronomers have discovered a huge planet orbiting the burnt-out husk of a star that was once like the Sun.
Can your dreams predict a person's death ?
12-5-2019
A 25-year study has looked into the correlation between precognitive death dreams and a person actually dying.
My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA

The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia