Monday, October 21, 2019

15-year-old discovers a forgotten Mayan city

Posted on Wednesday, 11 May, 2016 | Comment icon 53 comments

The jungle city was found using star maps. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Alejandro Linares Garcia
Teenager William Gadoury has become a social media sensation after locating a city in the Yucatan jungle.
Having been fascinated by the Mayan civilization ever since hearing about the 2012 apocalypse prediction, the 15-year-old, who is from Saint-Jean-de-Matha in Quebec, came up with a theory suggesting that the locations of Mayan cities might correspond to the positions of the stars.

To put this to the test he tried overlaying Mayan star maps with satellite images from Google Earth and was able to confirm that there was indeed a correlation between the two as he had predicted.

Using his new method, William was able to infer the existence of another, previously undiscovered city at a location which matched up to the position of one of these stars.
To confirm his finding, he collaborated with both the Canadian Space Agency and Dr. Armand Larocque from the University of New Brunswick who applied digitial image processing to satellite photographs of the region to see if there was anything there.

It turned out that the 15-year-old had been spot on all along and had actually discovered a major new Mayan city containing 30 buildings and a pyramid measuring 86 meters in height.

William has opted to name the new city K'AK 'CHI' which means "Mouth of Fire".

Source: BBC News | Comments (53)

Tags: Mayan, Yucatan

Comment icon #44 Posted by kmt_sesh on 13 May, 2016, 3:22
... @Kmt, I got the chainsaws. They're filed and filled. Are you still working on our (ahem) academic accreditation? Working on it. They're not fussy in South America so I'm taking the expedient route and securing both of us this esteemed certification.
Comment icon #45 Posted by Likely Guy on 13 May, 2016, 4:04
Comment icon #46 Posted by kmt_sesh on 14 May, 2016, 4:05
An ancient 'Egyption' mummy from Chicago and a gold rush Bactrian camel from Canada, with chainsaws, cutting down jungle paths in Central America searching for a lost Maya city (with the proper accreditation, of course). If that's not an historical anachronism, I don't know what is. It's all good, so long as we don't stumble into any geysers along the way. Or is that only a concern at Giza? I say we take the kid along, too. We can give him a stick and he can walk in front of us, swatting at all of the jungle junk to scare away those big jungle spiders. I hate spiders.
Comment icon #47 Posted by JesseCuster on 14 May, 2016, 15:50
Bah humbug. Here comes the mean old cynic. I'm not going to have a go at the kid. He came up with a hypothesis, tested it and thought he found something that confirmed it. Good on him. I'm going to have a go at the absolutely lousy, sloppy, lazy, unprofessional, etc. reporting that has sprung up around it. Once the news media got a hold of this story, it just turned into an echo chamber of unverified claims, half-baked reports, etc. When I first heard this I thought it was pretty cool, so I found the co-ordinates and went there on Google Earth and was scratching my head. I found what looked li... [More]
Comment icon #48 Posted by JesseCuster on 14 May, 2016, 19:25
This is the pic I meant to attach in the previous post.
Comment icon #49 Posted by Vlawde on 14 May, 2016, 19:33
Per snopes: http://www.snopes.com/canadian-teen-satellite-maps/
Comment icon #50 Posted by Dr.Brian on 14 May, 2016, 21:14
Snopes is correct in their assertion that this story is "unproven". Until the site is investigated or excavated there can not be a claim of any type of find. My favorite plot twist to this is now the claim by Geoffrey Braswell of UC San Diego that it might be an active marijuana field. I'll be we can easily assemble some guys to go out and validate that claim. Using Google Earth I can find only one visible road that is nothing more than a trail and is about 7 1/2 miles to Laguna El Civalon (the name of the lake where "K'aak 'Chi'" is said to be. Historical imagery, which is available with Goog... [More]
Comment icon #51 Posted by pokingjoker on 15 May, 2016, 7:38
I just came across this http://www.iflscience.com/editors-blog/lost-mayan-city-canadian-kid-discovered-may-not-be-city-after-all
Comment icon #52 Posted by kmt_sesh on 16 May, 2016, 3:00
Likely Guy, did you read Dr.Brian's post above? Some think the square feature might really be a marijuana patch. Please hurry up with those chainsaws. We've got to get moving!
Comment icon #53 Posted by Anomalocaris on 3 June, 2016, 16:36
Canadian Teen Who 'Discovered' Lost Maya City Speaks Out

Mystery surrounds London's 'Havering Hoard'
10-21-2019
An 'extraordinary' cache of Bronze Age weapons found in London has left experts scratching their heads.
45% of Americans believe in paranormal entities
10-21-2019
A new YouGov poll has revealed how many Americans believe in the existence of supernatural beings.
Britain's twelve most haunted roads revealed
10-21-2019
Motoring experts have compiled a list of twelve sinister roadways with a penchant for paranormal activity.
Two brothers saw a 'UFO battle' 40 years ago
10-20-2019
Rob and Phil Tindale have stood by their claim that they witnessed two UFOs battling in the skies over Australia.
I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia

A haunting in Iowa
9-26-2019 | Central City, Iowa

Oddest thing I've ever seen
9-19-2019 | Kentucky

The blanket tugger
9-19-2019 | QLD

Unknown flash
9-19-2019 | GA

An encounter in the woods
9-17-2019 | McGuire A.F.B., NJ